What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Read If You Dare: Twelve Twisted Tales from the Editors of Read Magazine
This topic is about Read If You Dare
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Collection of short stories with unexpected and twisted endings. Mr. W____? Lemonade? One story is about a boy who wants to test being out in a tomb in a graveyard, and wants to see if he can stay alive. Spoilers ahead. [s]

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anisha_book_lover (last edited May 18, 2020 12:54PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anisha_book_lover Hi! I'm looking for a collection of short stories with unexpected, and twisted endings. I think some of them were even scary.
I read this book sometime during 2015-2016. I only remember two short stories within this book. These weren't necessarily the first stories in the book, but the ones I remember.
First story:
I barely remember anything about this story. Just a couple of details...
There was something about an old, colonial house, and I think there was a character named Sadie, and another character whose last name began with a W...maybe Mr. Welch or Mr. Walter. The two names keep coming back to me, so it could either be those names or something similar. There was also something to do with lemonade? (view spoiler)
Second story:
I remember this story more vividly, except for names. It was about a teenage boy who wants to buried in a tomb for one night in a graveyard to see if he could stay alive, and his sister (who was also a teen..l think, but I'm pretty sure she was a younger sister) didn't want him to do it and was worried for his safety. Her brother reassured her that he would be okay. The tomb or compartment that he was in had a tube that was connected out of the ground, and that was how he could breathe. I remember the MC was saying how sweaty and cramped he was when he was in the compartment. The plan was for his sister to drive to the graveyard the next morning, and get the compartment out (not sure how though). But, at the end (view spoiler)

There are probably a lot more stories, but I only remember those...
That's everything I remember. Any suggestions are welcome!

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2222 comments Were they all by the same author, or different authors, can you remember?

And were they written for adults, or for teens / children? If they were for teens / children, they might be on this list - Children's Ghost Story Collections

message 3: by Anisha_book_lover (last edited May 17, 2020 12:11PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anisha_book_lover I can't remember if they were written from the same or different authors, sorry about that. It was definitely not for adults, but for teens and children. Maybe aimed toward ages 10-13?
I'll check out the list, thanks! But I don't think the book I'm looking for is ghost stories, they just have unexpected endings with elements of scary stories.

message 4: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2222 comments Hmm... Paul Jennings is known for writing quirky short stories that often have twists... or maybe Unexpected 11 Mysterious Stories?

message 5: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 116 comments Oh, I know for sure I’ve read that second one!! Maybe Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark?? Can’t remember exactly where I read it either!!

message 6: by Audrey (new)

Audrey | 116 comments There are two other books in the series as well, could be one of those

Anisha_book_lover Becca wrote: "Hmm... Paul Jennings is known for writing quirky short stories that often have twists... or maybe Unexpected 11 Mysterious Stories?"

No that's not it, but thank you for trying! I'll have to check out more of Paul Jenning's books, but so far I couldn't find anything that could be a match.

message 8: by Anisha_book_lover (last edited May 17, 2020 11:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anisha_book_lover Audrey wrote: "Oh, I know for sure I’ve read that second one!! Maybe Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark?? Can’t remember exactly where I read it either!!"
Audrey wrote: "There are two other books in the series as well, could be one of those"

That's not it. Thanks though! I looked through the other books too in a preview and based on the description, I don't think those books aren't what I'm looking for either.

message 9: by Anisha_book_lover (last edited May 20, 2020 10:52AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anisha_book_lover I found it! The book is called "Read If You Dare: Twelve Twisted Tales from the Editors of Read Magazine" by Catherine Gourley.

Turns out, the man was named Mr. Waterbury and there was something about lemonade.

"Waterbury took another gulp of lemonade, wondering how much longer he would have to listen to the old woman talk. He suddenly felt very tired."

And the scene where the woman puts flowers in the tube:

"What a pathetic little flower holder," she sighed. "And so empty. Well, whoever you are, you won't be forgotten today."

Thank you everyone for trying to figure it out the book! Some of the suggestions that I got seem like they would be good books. :)

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16979 comments Glad you found it!

Thanks for letting us know. :)