What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Sisters/Hermanas
This topic is about Sisters/Hermanas
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Coming of age/Book follows two different teen girls' perspectives/one is an immigrant sex worker. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia | 2 comments I read this book maybe in 2008-2011 (8th through 11th grade?)
There is a small chance it is written in Spanish, but I doubt it.

The book follows the lives of two young teen girls. They are both unhappy with their lives for the most part. Chapters go from "name of first girl" then back to "name of second girl" and so forth.

The first girl is privileged and has a family but is still unhappy. I think there is a scene where she goes to her school for a sports game?

The second girl is a Hispanic immigrant. She came to the US to make money. She works on the streets as a sex worker. She has regular clients but not enough to make her wealthy by any means. There is one regular guy she likes because he is kind and gentle with her. She lives in a dingy room. She is pretty poor. She wants to send money back to her family in her native country.

Both girls are unhappy in their situation. Not sure of the message/meaning for the book but I think it is just a 'coming of age' story.

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2692 comments Sisters = Hermanas by Gary Paulsen? It's in both Spanish and English, depending on which way up you hold the book.

message 3: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia | 2 comments Becca wrote: "Sisters = Hermanas by Gary Paulsen? It's in both Spanish and English, depending on which way up you hold the book."

YES! Thank you so much! I appreciate you

message 4: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2692 comments Cynthia wrote: "YES! Thank you so much! I appreciate you"

You're welcome! I'm glad to help.