What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Longman Book Project: Fiction: Band 9: Changes in the Night (Play): Pack of 6 (Longman Book Project)
This topic is about Longman Book Project
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's Book in which the main character ends up inside a doll house at night. [s]

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (last edited May 16, 2020 11:37PM) (new)

Susan | 5 comments Heya!

This is a book that I remember reading when I was in primary school (about twenty years ago at this point, give or take a year or two). The main character was a boy who, for some reason, would wake up inside a "real" version of his little sister's doll house whenever he went to sleep at night, and interacts with the dolls who live there. At some point in the story he put a toy tiger inside the doll house during the day, and that night was faced with a "real" tiger when he ended up in the doll house himself. I seem to recall the cover of the edition I read featuring this particular incident. The boy was dressed in an old-fashioned nightshirt and reacting in fear to the presence of the tiger, who could be seen on the other side of a doorway. Though it's possible this was just an illustration inside the book. I think the boy became friends with one of the dolls, but I can't for the life of me remember how it ended. It was in England that I read it, but I really cannot remember anything about the author. The tiger may also have featured in the title? I vaguely thought it was something like "Tiger in the night", but obviously I've had no luck in googling that.

Can anyone help? It's been bugging me for years that I can't find any reference to it! Thank you!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 5 comments Hmm, no I don't think that was it.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16196 comments Was it a picture book or a child's novel?

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 5 comments Pretty sure it was a child's novel, though there may have been illustrations.

message 7: by Susan (new)

Susan | 5 comments Oh I think that's it!

That is... kind of? Okay this is a little weird, but I did some googling around to see if that was indeed the book and I instead happened upon a book called "Changes in the Night" that has the tiger cover that I remember. Thing is, the plot summary of "Into the Night House" fits my memory as well, and the two books are apparently by the same author, so I'm guessing that it's two different editions of the same story that had its name changed at some point?

Still, it's definitely one of the two (if not both of them), so I'm happy to call this solved!

Thank you so much!

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16196 comments Glad to help out!

I couldn't confirm in Worldcat that Changes in the Night is the same book with a different title, but I agree it sounds likely.