What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Amy and Laura
This topic is about Amy and Laura
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA fiction. Two sisters: smart (older) vs. pretty (younger). They get along well. Teacher is "mean" to younger sister. Read in early 1970s. [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabe's Mom (last edited Jun 07, 2020 04:26PM) (new)

Gabe's Mom (gabesmom) | 6 comments SOLVED: IT'S Amy and Laura by Marilyn Sachs .

I think I read this some time in the early 1970s.

This was a book about 2 sisters. At the beginning of the book, the identities seem pretty fixed: one older sister who is the "smart" one, but not very attractive. One was younger, prettier and not as smart. The older sister and younger sister love each other and the two seem OK with their roles. The older sister is protective of the younger and gets upset when the younger sister's teacher is "mean" because she keeps pushing the younger sister to do better in school. By the end, it turns out that the teacher is not mean; she sees more in the younger sister than anyone in the family saw. The younger sister is pretty AND smart.

It was a very quick read, both because it was interesting and because it was very short. It was amazingly insightful and had such a gentle way of describing the dynamics of the sisters.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16178 comments How old are the girls in the story, teenagers or younger children?

message 3: by Gabe's Mom (new)

Gabe's Mom (gabesmom) | 6 comments I think that the were tweens. I read it when I was (maybe) 11 and I just remember identifying so much with the characters.

message 4: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33390 comments Mod
Gabe's Mom, I added more plot details to the topic header. Feel free to update it by clicking the small "edit" link after the header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app.

message 5: by SamSpayedPI (last edited May 19, 2020 10:12AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1667 comments It sounds a little like Amy and Laura, but the sisters were a little envious of each others' looks/brains/sociability.

message 6: by Gabe's Mom (new)

Gabe's Mom (gabesmom) | 6 comments WOW!!

message 7: by Gabe's Mom (new)

Gabe's Mom (gabesmom) | 6 comments I'm almost positive that that is the book. I guess that my memories edited out some of the (natural) jealousy. Now I just have to find where to buy the trilogy. I didn't know it was a trilogy. I would like to buy it for my niece.

message 8: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jun 07, 2020 05:08PM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1667 comments Gabe's Mom wrote: "Now I just have to find where to buy the trilogy. I didn't know it was a trilogy. I would like to buy it for my niece."

They're available to borrow at the Internet Archive. You need to be a member to "take out" books, but membership is free; you only need to give them an email address.

The books seem to be in print and available at Amazon, although the prices seem quite high.

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16178 comments The Amy and Laura series has come up a lot!

message 10: by Gabe's Mom (new)

Gabe's Mom (gabesmom) | 6 comments SamSpayedPI wrote: "Gabe's Mom wrote: "Now I just have to find where to buy the trilogy. I didn't know it was a trilogy. I would like to buy it for my niece."

They're available to borrow at the Internet Archive. You ..."

THANKS! You're very kind.

message 11: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1667 comments You're welcome - glad you found your book!

message 12: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jun 07, 2020 07:48PM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 1667 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "The Amy and Laura series has come up a lot!"

Well, one of them was me, so . . .

message 13: by Gabe's Mom (new)

Gabe's Mom (gabesmom) | 6 comments SamSpayedPI wrote: "Rainbowheart wrote: "The Amy and Laura series has come up a lot!"

Well, one of them was me, so . . ."

I do appreciate your help! You guys are wonderfully helpful.