The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2020 > 5.6 - Somebody Set the Clock

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4535 comments Mod
5.6 - Somebody Set the Clock
June 7 is VCR Day. Remember VCRs? This unofficial holiday of unknown origins encourages people to rewind to the past and celebrate the humble Video Cassette Recorder (VCR). Read a book with the letters VCR found in any order in the title/subtitle, series title, and/or author's name. If using the author's name, your book must be written by a single author.

message 2: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 16, 2020 08:07AM) (new)

Examples:

Grave Secrets by Kathy Reichs
✤ V in Grave; CR in Secrets ✤

Paradise Valley by Robyn Carr
✤ V in Valley; C in Carr; R in Robyn ✤

Shark River by Randy Wayne White (Doc Ford Mystery #8)
✤ V in River; C in Doc; R in Randy ✤

message 3: by SRC Moderator (new)

reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

This thread is now open!

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Just clarifying- the letters can be found in both title AND author- so like for example the C and R are in the title and V is in the author.

message 6: by Kristina Simon (new)

Kristina Simon (kristinasimon) | 10898 comments Mod
Nicole wrote: "Just clarifying- the letters can be found in both title AND author- so like for example the C and R are in the title and V is in the author."

Correct. The three letters may be in any combination of title, subtitle, series title, or author's name needed.

message 7: by Kristina Simon (new)

I've added a couple of examples to post #2, if that helps.

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 54 comments I want to use Jean Ma_r_ie Gusta_v_e Le _C_lézio for VCR, but on goodreads he's known as J.M.G. Le Clézio. Is that okay?

message 9: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments SRC Moderator wrote: "Examples:

Grave Secrets by Kathy Reichs
✤ V in Grave; CR in Secrets ✤

Paradise Valley by Robyn Carr
✤ V in Valley; C in Carr; R in Rob..."

Ooh you gave me the idea to read Virgin River by Robyn Carr!

message 10: by Kristina Simon (new)

Jenny wrote: "I want to use Jean Ma_r_ie Gusta_v_e Le _C_lézio for VCR, but on goodreads he's known as J.M.G. Le Clézio. Is that okay?"

No, sorry. From the FAQs: "6. What about if an author uses initials but I know that his/her full name fits an author name task, can I use that author?
No. The name as it appears on Goodreads will be used."

message 11: by Kristina Simon (new)

Nicole wrote: "Ooh you gave me the idea to read Virgin River by Robyn Carr!"

It's a good one. Hope you enjoy it!

message 12: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Kristina Simon wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Ooh you gave me the idea to read Virgin River by Robyn Carr!"

It's a good one. Hope you enjoy it!"

I enjoyed the show so I probably will!!! I like to see the changes they made!

message 13: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 875 comments Can I use Red War Red War (Mitch Rapp, #17) by Kyle Mills

It's written by Kyle Mills because Vince Flynn died but the cover lists the author as Vince Flynn. The GR link lists two authors but it was not actually written by two authors.

Thanks!

message 14: by Kristina Simon (last edited Jul 21, 2020 09:37AM) (new)

Tammy AZ wrote: "Can I use Red War Red War (Mitch Rapp, #17) by Kyle Mills

It's written by Kyle Mills because Vince Flynn died but the cover lists the author as Vince Flynn. The GR link lists two authors but ..."

No, sorry. We always go by the GRs record and the GRs record lists two authors. If you believe this to be incorrect, you can ask a GRs librarian to research the problem and correct the record. There is a thread in the General Help folder to request help from a GRs librarian.

In this particular case, however, I don't see how this would help you. If Vince Flynn is taken off the record as an author, where would the V in VCR come from?

message 15: by Tammy AZ (new)

Tammy AZ (tammyaz) | 875 comments I was leaning no as well but thought I'd check. Thanks.