Start by marking “Red War (Mitch Rapp, #17)” as Want to Read:
Red War (Mitch Rapp, #17)

Red War

(Mitch Rapp #17)

The #1 New York Times bestselling series returns with Mitch Rapp racing to prevent Russia’s gravely ill leader from starting a full-scale war with NATO.

When Russian president Maxim Krupin discovers that he has inoperable brain cancer, he’s determined to cling to power. His first task is to kill or imprison any of his countrymen who can threaten him. Soon, though, his illn
Published October 2nd 2018 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books (first published September 25th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about Red War, please sign up.
Robert No, all stories after the death of Vince Flynn are the work of Kyle Mills with the blessing of the late Flynn's family and estate. The last work…moreNo, all stories after the death of Vince Flynn are the work of Kyle Mills with the blessing of the late Flynn's family and estate. The last work written by Flynn was "The Last Man" (Mitch Rapp #13 on GR). From "The Survivor" on we get to see where Kyle takes the characters.

From what I understand, Flynn had the first 1-3 chapters done for Survivor but nothing else, not even an outline of where they would go. You will also notice that strong language from that book on has become more common as it reflects the new author.

If you have not read all of the books in the Mitch Rapp series, I recommend that you do--very fun! Kyle has done a great job of delivering enjoyable stories in the world Flynn created. (less)

Matt
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I think a bump up from 3.75 stars works here!

Kyle Mills is back with another of Vince Flynn’s classic novels of espionage, where Mitch Rapp finds himself in the middle of yet another international skirmish. After an attack on a prominent Russian in Central America, Rapp and those high-up in the CIA take notice, sure the Russian Government is involved. While they ponder how to handle this, Rapp is left to wonder what else Moscow might be plotting. Little known to most, the current Russian Preside
L.A. Starks
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very well-plotted and exciting book in classic Mitch Rapp form adds a suspenseful twist as readers try to ascertain the sympathies of the retired Russian agent on whom Mitch must rely.

Mills has thought carefully about Russian cross-currents and the change in strategy (like Ben Coes' Bloody Sunday) when the dictator is terminal and has nothing to lose by creating extreme mayhem.

Mills sweeps us along with action. My only criticism, and it is miniscule, is that everyone dropped the editing ball o
"Avonna
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

RED WAR (Mitch Rapp #17) is the newest espionage thriller in the Mitch Rapp series started by author Vince Flynn and now carried forward by author Kyle Mills. This is Mr. Mills’ fourth installment in the series. Red War is another edge-of-you-seat thrill ride with a plausible world crisis and all of the geopolitical intrigue, blood, bombs and action I have come to expect in a Mitch Rapp book.

Maxim Krupin, the Russian president, ha
The Real Book Spy
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kyle Mills opens his fourth Mitch Rapp thriller (since taking over the series following the passing of Vince Flynn in 2013) with Russian President Maxim Krupin standing in his Kremlin office looking down at the protestors filing into Red Square. The growing backlash and constant threat of being overthrown is annoying to Krupin, but it’s the inoperable brain cancer that he was secretly diagnosed with that proves most troubling.

At first, Krupin’s symptoms are fairly minor and easy to hide. However
Stuart Ashenbrenner
Aug 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
As a Mitch Rapp Ambassador, I took my time reading Red War, as I never wanted the experience to end. Well, it finally came to a conclusion tonight, and Kyle Mills did not disappoint.

When Mills first introduced us to Grisha Azarov in Mills' first complete novel since taking over the Flynn franchise, he formed the most formidable opponent Rapp had ever met. The way Mills weaves Grisha into this plot is fantastic and dramatic. As you can see from the other reviews, Rapp is in a race against time, M
Tim
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Finally, a decent story in the Mitch Rapp genre by Kyle Mills. 8 of 10 stars
Nilesh
Sep 26, 2018 rated it did not like it
Mitch Rapp stories worked because of Rapp's character, which was in equal measure superhero-isque and genial. Mr Mills is unable to take good advantage of either of these qualities. Red War is a classic Wag the Dog kind of tale, that is not only too predictable and illogical (characteristics of most of Flynn's books too), but also excessively focussed on stereotypical and uninteresting bad guys. The story and action scenes have hardly any twists while the deadline pressure is visible in all aspe ...more
Julie
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I have read all the Vince Flynn and Kyle Mills "Mitch Rapp" books. This was my least favorite. It was also my husband's least favorite. To me the conversation just didn't flow. I felt the author tried to inject some depth into Grisha's personality (or make a personality out of what he was) and it failed and Mitch and Coleman were along for the ride as fighting machines. Bleh...
Chris (Norseman) Miller
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
MitchRappAmbassador review

I absolutely loved this Mitch Rapp thriller from Kyle Mills. He has done a tremendous job of carrying on Rapp from the Vince Flynn era and he continues to create amazing, from the headlines Thrillers!

Mitch is still himself and it’s clearly vivid and amazing how awesome Mills is at storytelling. I was hooked from the beginning and couldn’t have thought of a better storyline for this one. I don’t like to give spoilers so I’ll just leave it at you won’t be disappointed!
Pamela
Kudos to Kyle Mills for another literary grand slam: captivating hook, round, complex characterizations, intriguing and exhilarating ( if not timely!) plot, perfect pacing, exciting climax and satisfying denouement! The storyline is enthralling and so plausible, it’s scary. Mr. Mills has stayed true to the vision of this series’ creator, the late Vince Flynn. The protagonist, Mitch Rapp, is true to form in every aspect of his character. The Vince Flynn estate scored when passing the baton to Kyl ...more
Kay
I'm torn between 1 and 2 stars. It's difficult to rate a book in a favorite series this low. Red War is a mediocre thriller at best. It's the worst of Mitch Rapp books, and I read all except Vince Flynn's last two.
Red War main stars are the Russians, a terminal Putin, I mean Krupin and Russian superhuman assassins. I feel Kyle Mills really loves the character he created in book #15, Grisha Azarov and decided to bring him back as a main while Mitch & team tag along.
After waiting a year for
Michael Hicks
Red War, the seventeenth Mitch Rapp thriller and fourth penned by Kyle Mills, finds the CIA assassin on a mission to execute the Russian president, Maxim Krupin. Recently diagnosed with terminal brain cancer, Krupin has grown ever more unpredictable and uses his final months to further consolidate his power, executing his enemies and political rivals, as he takes the world to the brink of World War III.

As with Tom Clancy before him, Vince Flynn's series has always been rather timely in its refle
Jo
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed, favorites
I was sure that when Vince Flynn passed away, I'd be fare welling my favorite counter terrorist operative for the CIA too, but thankfully the series is in very safe hands with Kyle Mills.

I've read all the books in this series and am still like a kid in a candy store, every time a new installment comes out.
Grisha Azarov, once was Russia's foremost assassin is targeted by his boss president Krupin after he retires, the CIA intervene and Rapp saves Azarov from assassination, but Azarov's girlfrie
Erik
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I liked that this Mitch Rapp novel explored a geopolitical scenario (a Russian leader risking world war in attempt to maintain control). it was interesting as it delved into all the behind the scenes moves by the Russians. Unfortunately. what the book needed more than anything else was more Mitch Rapp.
Skip
Kyle Mills has written another quality Mitch Rapp thriller. Russian president Krupin is ill, and when he finds out it could be terminal, he decides to create a legacy. First, he has his new enforcer try to kill his former enforcer, Azarov, who barely escapes from his Costa Rican home, with Rapp's assistance, leaving Azarov's girlfriend clinging to life. Then, Krupin recruits a disgraced military man to lead an attack on the Baltics, to undermine NATO and restore some semblance of Russian glory. ...more
Jay
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Full Disclosure Notice - I received an advance copy of this book from the publisher as part of their Mitch Rapp Ambassador program.

Madmen are rarely credited with making rational decisions. When they are global leaders like Russian president Maxim Krupin, the absence of rational thought processes is magnified because of their effect on the rest of the world.

So it is little surprise that when he learns that he has inoperable brain cancer, he lashes out in what seems like completely insane ways. H
Slaven Tomasi
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Mitch Rapp is back in Red War in what I believe to be Kyle Mills’ best work yet. A task I didn’t think was possible after my personal favorite Order to Kill since taking over writing duties in 2014 for the series. Red War starts off with the Russian President Maxim Krupin watching his country evolve into something a little more daring, something that just a few years ago would have been unthinkable. The “pampered” new generation is growing stronger and their numbers increasing while Krupin barel ...more
Donna Hines
This is the 4th in the Mitch Rapp novels since the passing of Vince Flynn with our nemesis and dictator Maxim Krupin clinging to what little power remains in Russia.
Worried over being overthrown and facing increasing backlash Krupin will do anything to retain his status in the Kremlin.
His illness is progressively getting worse as the inoperable brain cancer threatens what's left yet he refuses to back down in this 'kill or be killed' scenario.
War with the West is Krupin's diversion strategy as h
Mike Kennedy
Full disclosure I was given a free advance copy of this book for an honest review. I was super excited to get this book in my hands, and it didn’t disappoint. Russian President Maxim Krupin has a brian tumor that threatens his control of Russia. He is out to eliminate his competition while drawing the West into World War III. Mitch Rapp is called on to save the day.

Mr. Mills wastes no time getting into the action as there is a major action scene twenty pages in. This book is a page turner. I di
Eric
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
With all that’s going on in Russia today, Kyle Mills delves into a relevant and frightening scenario. What if the Russian President is diagnosed with an inoperable brain cancer, with unfulfilled visions of the Motherland being brought back to her previous glory? If the illness is going to take him down, then what’s to stop him from confronting Europe in a ground war or even strategic nuclear missiles?
Yes, the only thing that might be able thwart these plans are the three most feared black ops m
Caydenspia
Oct 01, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible
What a great disappointment. I purchased this book and the accompanying audiobook so I could enjoy another adventure with Mitch Rapp. WTH? Mitch was nothing but a tag-along character. This should have been name Azarov Adventure #1! We spent most of the book the the Russian G. Azarov from the previous novel.

I did not want to follow Azarov. I wanted more Mitch.

This was a fine action story but it was NOT a Mitch Rapp novel.

Since Vince Flynn died and Kyle Mills has taken over the reins of the Rapp
Glen
Nov 15, 2018 rated it liked it
As Mills writes more books, they stray continually further away from the source material. Mills tries to shield this by removing Rapp from his own series. He seems blurrier and blurrier with every book.

In this one, the ruler of Russia finds out he is dying. Desperate to hang on to power, and having failed to appoint a successor, he hides his condition. He needs a distraction, so he decides to invade the Baltic countries, and recruits another madman to help.

Mitch and company have to figure things
Joanne Carlton
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
review will follow shortly
Rick
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
Probably 4.5 stars. A good continuation of the Mitch Rapp series. Strongly recommended.
Dave
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kyle-mills
Pretty good but a little drawn out. Not bad considering it's not Vince!
Dave
Jul 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was given an advanced readers copy of Red War as part of the Mitch Rapp Ambassador program. I have been asked for a spoiler and quotation free honest review.

This novel written by Kyle Mills continues the Mitch Rapp series that was created by the late great Vince Flynn. Kyle Mills has done what I never thought could be done; he has continued the series without missing a beat. This book has it all and I can't wait for longtime fans and new readers to experience it. The book will be released on
✰  BJ's Book Blog ✰Janeane ✰
Copy received from publisher for an honest review

This is the first book I have read of this series, so I know I am going to have missed a lot of the nuances of the Vince Gill/Kyle Mills/Mitch Rapp universe.

I was intrigued with the mad Russian leader, the dealings with the Ukraine and the baltic states. Very today's world, and with those in charge at the moment, WW3 could be around the corner.

I was kept on the edge of my seat, wondering with the turn of each page how Rapp and his men would fare.

N
Wayland Smith
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Unstoppable killing machine Mitch Rapp is back for more international intrigue. Russian President Krupin has discovered he has inoperable brain cancer. In a desperate bid to hold onto power, he tries to wrap up loose ends and enact a desperate plan to hold on to power. One of his loose ends is Rapp's former foe turned sorta-ally Grisha Azarov, and when his girlfriend is hit in an attempt on his life, Azarov decides it's time to come out of retirement.

Rapp and Azarov have to figure out what Krup
Matt
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this while walking the dogs and driving to work over the last few days. It was an action packed and fun audiobook to listen to. One thing about Mitch Rapp... he's one bad*ss dude. The plot was tight and well written. I'd read/listen to more by the author.
Steve Gigl
Sep 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
An outstandingly-plotted, fascinating read. Definitely the best Rapp novel Mills has authored, and an outstanding thriller regardless of comparisons.

• Bloody Sunday (Dewey Andreas, #8)
  • Daughter of War (Pike Logan, #13)
  • Spymaster (Scot Harvath, #18)
  • The Survivor (Mitch Rapp, #14)
  • Silent Enemy (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold #2)
  • The Counterfeit Agent (John Wells, #8)
  • Mission Critical (Gray Man, #8)
  • The Renegades (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #3)
I grew up in Oregon but have lived all over—D.C., Virginia, Maryland, London,
Wyoming. My father was an FBI agent and I was a bureau kid, which is similar to being an army brat. You tend to spend your time with other bureau kids and get transferred around a lot, though, I fared better on that front than many others.

One positive aspect of this lifestyle is that you can’t help but absorb an enormous

Mitch Rapp (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • American Assassin (Mitch Rapp, #1)
  • Kill Shot (Mitch Rapp, #2)
  • Transfer of Power (Mitch Rapp, #3)
  • The Third Option (Mitch Rapp, #4)
  • Separation of Power (Mitch Rapp, #5)
  • Executive Power (Mitch Rapp, #6)
  • Memorial Day (Mitch Rapp, #7)
  • Consent to Kill (Mitch Rapp, #8)
  • Act of Treason (Mitch Rapp, #9)
  • Protect and Defend (Mitch Rapp, #10)
“People need something to hate to reinforce their own identities.” 1 likes