The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2020 > 30.11 - Sandy's Task: Escape!

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 16, 2020 08:30AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4525 comments Mod
30. 11 - Sandy's Task: Escape!

These days, many of us think longingly of ESCAPE from our current situation. Fortunately, as readers, we have many ways to escape our daily circumstances.

Choose two of the following options, and read one book for each. REQUIRED: In your post, indicate which options you used.
Your two books combined should have at least 500 pages. No books with the main page genre children or kids may be used.

1. Escape to another world. Read a book with the main page genre Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Science Fiction Fantasy, standalone or embedded.

2. Escape to another country. Read a book set at least 50% in a country you have never visited. State in your post that you have never visited the country. REQUIRED: If the setting is not clear in the GR description or metadata, include a link to a source establishing the setting.

3. Escape to another time. Read a book with the main page genre history or historical fiction or time travel. The genre may be standalone or embedded.

4. Escape on a virtual vacation. Read a book with the main page genre Travel, standalone or embedded. (NOTE: a specific genre such as Time Travel does not work as an embedded genre).

5. Escape to a happier place in your mind. Read a book from one of the following lists:
Best Lighthearted Literature
or
Uplifting Fiction.

REQUIRED: Indicate in your post the list you used and the page on which your book appears.

NOTE: There are a number of childrens books on these lists. They cannot be used if childrens or kids is a main page genre, regardless of whether they appear on the list.

message 2: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 15683 comments Mod
Reserved

message 3: by Sandy (new)

Reserved

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4525 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Cindie (new)

Cindie | 1720 comments OMG I love this task!!

message 6: by Sandy (new)

Cindie wrote: "OMG I love this task!!"

Thanks!

message 7: by Trish (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2460 comments Could you genre lock The Light Brigade for Time Travel, for option 3. I'm seeing 93 users, but its at the bottom of the MPGs which are showing.

Thanks!

message 8: by Sandy (new)

Trish wrote: "Could you genre lock The Light Brigade for Time Travel, for option 3. I'm seeing 93 users, but its at the bottom of the MPGs which are showing.

Thanks!"

noted!

message 9: by Trish (last edited May 27, 2020 04:25AM) (new)

Trish (trishhartuk) | 2460 comments Thanks!

Definitely a fun task.

message 10: by Sandy (new)

Trish wrote: "Thanks!

Definitely a fun task."

Thanks! We love to travel, so I was trying to think of ways to "escape" this summer since we can't really go anywhere in real life!

message 11: by Melissa (last edited Jun 02, 2020 08:29AM) (new)

Melissa Harris | 78 comments For Option 3, would In Five Years work? When I looked under genres, this shows up. When I look at the book itself, it looks like 25 people tagged it and it does show up on the bottom of the list. Would this work? Thanks.

message 12: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments For Option 1, will this book work?
It's a collection of short stories and it has been shelved as Science Fiction > Dystopia by 328 readers

Happily Ever After (The Selection, #0.4, 0.5, 2.5, 3.1, 3.5, 5.1, 5.2) by Kiera Cass

message 13: by Sandy (new)

Pia wrote: "For Option 1, will this book work?
It's a collection of short stories and it has been shelved as Science Fiction > Dystopia by 328 readers

Happily Ever After (The Selection, #0.4, 0.5, 2.5, 3.1, 3.5, 5.1, 5.2) by Kiera Cass"

yes, it has the MPG Science Fiction>Dystopia, which fits the requirement of #1.

message 14: by Pia (new)

Pia | 1073 comments Thanks!

message 15: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2243 comments Can you verify Historical Fiction for The Fated Sky please?

message 16: by Sandy (new)

Cat wrote: "Can you verify Historical Fiction for The Fated Sky please?"

noted

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (laurenjberman) | 1504 comments Please confirm Ghost Hunter for Science Fiction and Beware a Scot's Revenge for Historical.
Thanks!

message 18: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 3653 comments Please confirm HISTORICAL FICTION
The Red Address Book by Sofia Lundberg

message 19: by Sandy (new)

Lauren wrote: "Please confirm Ghost Hunter for Science Fiction and Beware a Scot's Revenge for Historical.
Thanks!"

both noted

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Book Concierge wrote: "Please confirm HISTORICAL FICTION
The Red Address Book by Sofia Lundberg"

noted

message 21: by Ed (new)

Ed Lehman | 670 comments For Option 2.... would Montserrat qualify as a country?

The Volcano, Montserrat and Me: Twenty years with an active volcano by Lally Brown

message 22: by Sandy (new)

Ed wrote: "For Option 2.... would Montserrat qualify as a country?

The Volcano, Montserrat and Me: Twenty years with an active volcano by Lally Brown"

sorry, no. Montserrat is not an independent country.