Start by marking “The Red Address Book” as Want to Read:
The Red Address Book

The Red Address Book

For fans of A Man Called Ove and The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared comes a heartwarming debut about 96-year-old Doris, who writes down her memories as she pages through her decades-old address book. But the most profound moment of her life is still to come . . .

Meet Doris, a 96-year-old woman living alone in her Stockholm apartment. She has fe
Published January 8th 2019 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

To ask other readers questions about The Red Address Book, please sign up.
Kristin I personally think it could be a good choice for these reasons:
1) Easy to read and relatively short
2) Many events (good and bad) occur that might be…more
I personally think it could be a good choice for these reasons:
1) Easy to read and relatively short
2) Many events (good and bad) occur that might be viewed differently by your members and that could be worthy of discussion
3) The book deals with overarching themes that people should be able to relate to and therefore discuss

The only downside is that your libraries "may" not carry too many copies since it's a new author/book and Online it's still more expensive than many older books ($16 physical copy and $12 Kindle).(less)

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
4 nostalgic stars!

Oh, this book is quite lovely and nostalgic. Doris is 96 years old and lives alone in Stockholm, Sweden. She’s a bit of a recluse but looks forward to her weekly Skype calls with Jenny, her only relative and grandniece who lives in the United States.

Doris has a special address book she was gifted by her father when she was a child. In it, she has documented the names and addresses of everyone she’s known throughout her life. She crosses out the names when people have passed aw
Angela M
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it

Doris is of one of the people that the author dedicates this book to and also the name of the central character. So of course I was curious to know the connection. In a conversation with Sofia Lundberg on the Amazon book description, she talks about her great Aunt Doris, whose address book she found after her beloved aunt died. Most of the names in the book were crossed out with the word dead next to them. That this book is based on that makes the story certainly more meaningful and th
Jenny
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start with a little backstory. I love Christmas cards. I love sending them and I love receiving them. Some are shared family updates from the past year, pictures or just a simple signature on a beautiful Christmas card. What I also love are the memories of my Mother and Grandmother pulling out their address books from the cabinet, sitting at the table and one by one addressing dozens of cards to family, friends and neighbors.
My Mom’s book was a light blue leather with two simple gold band
Katie B
Dec 14, 2018 rated it really liked it

I'm a sucker for these books that feature an elderly character who decides to reflect back on their life. This one had a unique premise as a woman's address book was used to help tell the story. While this book had a bit of charm it also packed an emotional punch in ways I wasn't expecting.

Ninety-six year old Doris doesn't have much contact with the outside world and therefore looks forward to her weekly Skype sessions with her grandniece, Jenny. Doris's father gave her an address book
Jenny
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Mom’s book was a light blue leather with two simple gold band
Cheri
"Where've you been?"
"I've looked for you forever and a day."
"Where've you been?"

"I'm just not myself when you're away."
--Where’ve You Been, Kathy Mattea, Songwriters: Don Henry / Jon Vezner

”So many names pass by us in a lifetime. Have you ever thought about that, Jenny? All the names that come and go. That rip our hearts to pieces and make us shed tears. That become lovers or enemies. I leaf through my address book sometimes. It has become something like a map of my life, and I want to tell you
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
**Everyone needs to know about this book and to read it.**

Doris is 96, lives alone in Stockholm, and only has a niece in the United States that she Skypes with.

Doris has caregivers stopping by during the day and is essentially alone except for her memories and the red address book her father gave to her when she was thirteen. The red address book has kept track of every person she has met over her life time.

At thirteen after her father died, Doris was forced into becoming a servant in a wealthy
Cindy Burnett
May 19, 2018 rated it liked it
The Red Address Book is a charming, but very sad tale about Doris, a lonely 96-year-old woman who lives in Stockholm. She reminisces about her life and those individuals she encountered as she pages through an old address book she received from her father when she was young. Few of her friends and acquaintances remain, and Doris leads a solitary life except for her weekly Skype with her American niece Jenny. While I enjoyed some aspects of Doris’s long and eventful life, the story is so sad. I r ...more
KC
This enchanting story chronicles the life of Doris, a feisty 96 yr old who spends her days alone in her Stockholm apartment reflecting on her life choices, her loses and loves. With most of her acquaintances deceased, she has little to look forward to with the exception of her weekly Skype chats with her American grandniece Jenny. This emotionally charged novel tugs at our heartstrings and reminds us of the importance of familial bonds, our first loves and living with no regrets. For fans of Fre ...more
Sherri Thacker
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When I first saw this book and read about it I couldn’t wait to get it. Then I was approved from NetGalley to read it, I was that much more excited. It was a slow start for me and I even thought this book wasn’t for me at first. But then I looked at the many many 4-5 star reviews at NetGalley and thought I gotta keep going, I can’t be the only one who didn’t enjoy it. Boy oh boy am I glad I kept going!! This book is highly entertaining and what a life 96 year old Doris lived. All stories told th ...more
Tiff (fictionaltiff)
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Red Address Book by Sofia Lundberg was everything I wanted from a historical fiction book. Doris is a 96-year-old woman who on the surface is lonely and quiet, no friends or family left to care for her. But as Doris opens her red address book, time unravels, as well as memories of poverty, death, and heartbreak; intertwined within that though is a life full of love and unforgettable adventure.
The reader follows Doris through her many, hard years, from the very beginning as a child in Sweden
Nora|KnyguDama
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Užmetus pirmą žvilgsnį į knygą, niekada nebūčiau pasakius, kad perskaičius ją ašarosiu. Ne tai, kad ašarosiu, o verksiu kaip reikalas. Tas Eifelis, svajingas žvilgsnis, raudonos lūpos kažkaip sufleravo lengvą, neįpareigojantį, atostogų romaną. Tai ta nata ir pradėjau skaityti. Viešpatėliau kaip klydau... "Raudona užrašų knygutė" - rimta, skaudi, tačiau labai graži ir jaudinanti istorija apie tikrą meilę, kovą už gyvenimą, draugystę.

Dorė - vieniša senolė gyvenanti Stoholme. Pati savimi nebepasir
Vilija Jankūnaitė
"Raudona užrašų knygelė" buvo mano paskutinė 2018-ųjų metų knyga, privertusi apmąstyti gyvenime sutinkamus žmones ir jiems skiriamą laiką, nes kažkada bus per vėlu. Su tuo susiduria ir pagrindinė knygos veikėja senutė Dorė - dauguma jos kažkada pažinotų, mylėtų ar nekenčiamų žmonių dabar jau yra mirę ir visa tai ji žymisi savo raudonoje užrašų knygelėje. Dorė paskutinei savo likusiai giminaitei pasakoja savo gyvenimo istoriją, į kurią įsileidžiamas į skaitytojas ir po truputį nuimamas paslapties ...more
Ashley
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2018, loves
Reviewed on: Ashes Books & Bobs.

Many thanks to Houghton Mifflin Harcourt for granting my Netgalley wish for The Red Address Book.

As soon as I saw the cover for this book and briefly skimmed the blurb, I knew it would be a book I loved. I immediately tracked down the publisher and inquired about an advance review copy, only to be turned down. I don’t think I have ever been so bummed to be denied for a book, but as fate would have it, I ended up with a copy a month or two later. This beautiful
Nancy
Dec 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookish
The Red Notebook by Sofia Lundberg is a charmer of a novel that will capture the hearts of readers.

At 96, Doris is frail and bears the marks of her age, the wrinkles and the thinning pure white hair. But Doris knows she still has something to offer--her story--and with the aid of the red address book her father gave her as a child, Doris writers her recollections on her laptop, a gift of love to her grandniece Jenny.

Hearing that Doris is hospitalized, Jenny leaves behind her husband and two chil
Hanna Kirjainten virrassa
Kannen perusteella ajattelin vähän hömpäksi, mutta äänikirja yllätti ja oli todella hyvä teos.
SnoopyDoo's Book Reviews
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc

*I received a free copy from the publisher and chose to leave a voluntary review. Thank you!*

This is one of those books that give you a feel good feeling after reading it, but also make you think a bit.

We meet Doris, who is 96 years old and very lonely except the Skype calls with her (grandniece) , throughout the book we learn long with Jenny Doris’s past and what all she life has dealt her.

All the people she met in her life and what and how big of an impact on her life that had.

Vivija
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nuostabi knyga apie karą, žmogaus vienatvę ir visa aprėpiančią meilę.
Jen
Dec 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“I wish you enough. Enough sun to light up your days, enough rain that you appreciate the sun. Enough joy to strengthen your soul, enough pain that you can appreciate life’s small moments of happiness. And enough friends that you can manage a farewell now and then.”
📕📕
These words from her mother became her guiding light in life and have always given her strength. Now 96, Doris is telling her story to her grandniece Jenny. This sweeping tale about Doris’s life takes the reader from childhood to pr
Vero Blabla
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una historia sobre el primer amor, ese que nunca se olvida. Alternando capítulos en la actualidad con el pasado y con un final enternecedor que me ha hecho llorar como una magdalena.
Missolka
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-translation, ripol
Это одна из самых эмоциональных, одна из самых поучительных книг. Советую прочитать тем, кому надоела банальщина с секси красавчиками и серыми мышками. В этой книге описана настоящая жизнь настоящего человека.
Gabrielė Sabaliauskienė
Jau vien tik pažvelgus į šios knygos viršelį atrodo, jog laukia lengvas bei neįpareigojantis pasakojimas, tačiau jis klaidinantis. Ši istorija kupina meilės, nusivylimų, prisiminimų bei sukels daugybę minčių..

"Gyvenimas - tai virtinė susitikimų. Kiekvienas iš jų unikalus kaip atskiras perlas vėrinyje. Mes susitinkame ir įsimylime, išsiskiriame ir susitaikome, dalijamės džiaugsmu ir skausmu, o kartais mūsų širdys dūžta į šipulius."
Štai šis sakinys puikiai apibūdina bei atskleidžia apie ką gi bus
ʚϊɞ Shelley ʚϊɞ

What a gift this book is to us from Sofia Lundberg. Reading The Red Address Book was a journey through emotions as the characters experience heart warmth and heartache. I enjoyed this book so much I didn't want it to end. Doris, our d
Kate Vocke
Jan 01, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, winner-winner
This one was a bit sleepy for me. It's a sweet, sad story, but you kind of know how it's going to end right from the beginning. I also felt like this could have been called, "A few of the people Doris met in her life, who are now probably dead." The address book was a minor character, and didn't really add much for me. But the stories of her life were very entertaining, really interesting, and fairly sad, right up until the end. I think some people will love this, I thought it was just OK.

Doris
Elizabeth
I cried big fat tears while reading this book, especially at the end. It was that good and kept me wanting to read more.

Doris is 96 years old and is dying. Her one family member is Jennifer who lives in San Francisco. Doris lives in Sweden, alone with only home health care individuals to take care of her. She talks to Jennifer via Skype. Throughout her life, she has filled an address book with names of people she meets. Now they are mostly dead. She knows that she soon will be also. But this is
Joseph - Relax And Read Reviews
I wanted to end 2018 with something different to what I usually read. So as soon as I read the blurb of 'The Red Address Book' I decided that this would be it. This is a work of fiction that sounds so real. It is the beautiful, heart-warming, emotional but also quite sad and nostalgic story of a lovely, talented and quick-witted old lady and the many memories that have shaped her long life.

Doris is just a few short years of being a centenarian, but even if she's frail and riddled with pains brou
Jurga Jurgita
Jul 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Gyvenimas - tai virtinė susitikimų. Kiekvienas jų unikalus kaip atskiras perlas vėrinyje. Mes susitinkame ir įsimylime, išsiskiriame ir susitaikome, dalijamės džiaugsmu ir skausmu, o kartais mūsų širdys dūžta į šipulius". Šiais gražiais ir reikšmingais žodžiais paremta Sofia Lundberg knyga "Raudona užrašų knygelė". Tai jaudinantis pasakojimas apie draugystę, nuotykius, kelionę, laimę, skausmą ir nepamirštamą didžiąją meilę. Ir viskas slypi toje ypatingoje užrašų knygelėje, kurioje tarsi dulkės ...more
Jessica Kiefer
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jag har nog aldrig blivit så berörd av en bok. Eller jo, när jag var yngre och mer mottaglig för intryck och fantiserade mer. Hade inte samma erfarenhet av livet då. Men den här gick rakt in i hjärtat och jag kände kärleken som beskrivs. Jag kände den i så många former och jag var tvungen att lägga ifrån mig boken då och då. Ville inte att den skulle ta slut för fort. Detta var författarens första bok och den är så sjukt bra. Applåder till henne!
Jill Hamilton-Krawczyk
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Red Address Book by Sofia Lundberg is beautifully written, unique, joyous and heartbreaking... you won’t be able to put it down—guaranteed! Doris is a 96-year-old woman living in Stockholm. She has only one living relative—her great niece, Jenny, who lives in the the United States. This novel is part fictional memoir, part historical fiction, part romance and one hundred percent amazing! The reader learns about and falls in love with Doris as she reminisces through her red address book which ...more
Aletheia//Johanna
Kaunis ja koskettava tarina Doriksesta, hänen elämästään, ihmisistä elämän varrella ja rakkaudesta eri muodoissa. Todella tunteisiin vetoava kirja. Yllätin itseni itkemästä vuolaasti kirja parissa ja harva kirja onnistuu minua itkettämään. Suosittelen lämpimästi!
Goodreads Librari...: Correction 2 17 Dec 20, 2018 11:32AM