The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

TASK HELP: Summer Challenge 2020 > 30.6 - Dlmrose's Task: "All I Really Need To Know”

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by SRC Moderator (last edited May 16, 2020 04:36AM) (new)

SRC Moderator | 4532 comments Mod
30.6 - Dlmrose’s Task: "All I Really Need To Know”

I became a Bluebird, the first level of the Camp Fire Girls, in elementary school. I stayed in the organization through high school and continued as a camp counselor and day camp director through college.
The Bluebird Wish
To have fun.
To learn to make beautiful things.
To remember to finish what I begin.
To try to keep my temper most of the time.
To go to interesting places.
To know about trees and flowers and birds.
To make friends.

Robert Fulghum said “All I really need to know ... I learned in kindergarten”, but all I really need to know I learned as a Bluebird. I still recite parts of the Wish daily, especially “remember to finish what I begin…” It helps to keep me productive.

Choose two options from the list below and read two books, one for each option.
Required: Indicate the options.

Option 1: To Have fun.
Read a book with FUN found intact in a word in the title or subtitle.
Such a Fun Age, Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral

Option 2: To learn to make beautiful things.
Read a nonfiction book with a main page genre of Crafts or Arts > Crafts. The Crafts genre may be standalone or embedded.

Option 3: To remember to finish what I begin.
Read the next whole number book in a series that you have begun before the Summer Challenge.
Required: State that you began the series before this season.

To try to keep my temper most of the time. (Still working on this one- 50 years later..)

Option 4: To go to interesting places.
Read a book set at least 50% in a country on a continent different from your own.
Required: Identify your continent

Option 5: To know about trees and flowers and birds.
Read a book with a genre Environment, Nature, Gardening, or Animals > Birds. The genres Environment, Nature, and Gardening may be standalone or embedded.

Option 6: To Make Friends
Read a book that a Goodreads friend has read and rated 5 stars.
Required: State the friend.

message 2: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17495 comments Mod

message 3: by Dlmrose (new)

message 4: by SRC Moderator (new)

SRC Moderator | 4532 comments Mod
This thread is now open!

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Would the Hunger Games prequel work for the series option? I truly have no clue if zero is a whole number...

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0) by Suzanne Collins

message 6: by Bea (new)

Bea | 3877 comments May I have Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life approved for Gardening? It is last on the MPG list.

message 7: by Aprilleigh (last edited May 17, 2020 10:19AM) (new)

Aprilleigh (aprilleighlauer) | 1052 comments Nicole wrote: "Would the Hunger Games prequel work for the series option? I truly have no clue if zero is a whole number..."

Might be a good idea to add that to the FAQ. Mathematically, 0 is a whole number, but I have no idea what the task creator had in mind.

ETA: If your intent is to exclude 0, I suggest "positive whole numbers" as 0 is neither positive nor negative, but add it to the FAQ since you'll still get a lot of questions.

message 8: by Dlmrose (new)

Nicole wrote: "Would the Hunger Games prequel work for the series option? I truly have no clue if zero is a whole number...

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0) by Suzanne Collins"

A #0 will work for this task. A decimal will not.

message 9: by Dlmrose (new)

Bea wrote: "May I have Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life approved for Gardening? It is last on the MPG list."

genre noted

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 1314 comments Dlmrose wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Would the Hunger Games prequel work for the series option? I truly have no clue if zero is a whole number...

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0) by Suzanne Collins"

A #0 will work..."
I just now realized the wording says NEXT book in the series so it won't work because it's the prequel and the last one was #3

message 11: by Dlmrose (new)

Nicole wrote: "Dlmrose wrote: "Nicole wrote: "Would the Hunger Games prequel work for the series option? I truly have no clue if zero is a whole number...

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0) by Suzanne Collins"..."

If it is next in publication order explain that when you post.

message 12: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 2245 comments I was thinking of reading Parable of the Talents, with is #2, but the series is only a duology. Is that OK, or did you want longer series?

message 13: by Dlmrose (new)

Cat wrote: "I was thinking of reading Parable of the Talents, with is #2, but the series is only a duology. Is that OK, or did you want longer series?"

That's fine.

message 14: by Terri FL (new)

Terri FL (territhemuse) | 527 comments Hi, question about option 4 - "To go to interesting places.
Read a book set at least 50% in a country on a continent different from your own."

Can this be in multiple countries in the other continent, for example Dork Whore: My Travels Through Asia as a Twenty-Year-Old Pseudo-Virgin? So, it may not be 50% in a particular country, but it is 50% in the different continent.

I was a bluebird for a couple years but then we moved. :(

Thanks!

message 15: by Dlmrose (new)

Terri FL wrote: "Hi, question about option 4 - "To go to interesting places.
Read a book set at least 50% in a country on a continent different from your own."

Can this be in multiple countries in the other contin..."

It must be at least 50% in one country.

message 16: by Kaora (new)

Kaora (ophelja) | 1131 comments For number 4 would The Haunting of Tram Car 015 work? It is set in an alternate history in Cairo. (More asking because of the alternate history part!)

message 17: by Dlmrose (new)

Kaora wrote: "For number 4 would The Haunting of Tram Car 015 work? It is set in an alternate history in Cairo. (More asking because of the alternate history part!)"

An alternate history would work