Start by marking “The Haunting of Tram Car 015” as Want to Read:
The Haunting of Tram Car 015

The Haunting of Tram Car 015

The Haunting of Tram Car 015 returns to the alternate Cairo of Clark’s short fiction, where humans live and work alongside otherworldly beings; the Ministry of Alchemy, Enchantments and Supernatural Entities handles the issues that can arise between the magical and the mundane. Senior Agent Hamed al-Nasr shows his new partner Agent Onsi the ropes of investigation when they ...more
Published February 19th 2019 by Tor.com

To ask other readers questions about The Haunting of Tram Car 015, please sign up.

Rachel (Kalanadi)
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A pitch-perfect investigative story, characters and worldbuilding I thoroughly enjoyed, and I had a big smile on my face by the end. I love this alternate history version of Cairo! And setting an investigation of a haunted tram car during the lead up to a vote on women's suffrage was immensely and unexpectedly satisfying.

Longer review to come...
Cece (ProblemsOfaBookNerd)
A monster-of-the-week story set in a well worn, beautifully expansive world. It is unique, charming, and deeply magical in a way that only asks for more stories to be told.
Kay
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another solid one from Clark. This novella felt more deeply developed than The Black God's Drum but is equally exquisite. This stories also addressed issues (though tangentially) of feminism and empowerment. I am still out on the epilogue but I am definitely yearning for more stories from this world.
Holly (The Grimdragon)
“Quite dreadful. No one liked desk duty. It often seemed half their job was paperwork as it was. Who joined the Ministry for the thrill of filling out endless reports, in triplicate no less? Then again, he thought dismally, neither did they expect to spend their days haggling with government bureaucrats over haunted tram cars.”

I have yet to read P. Djèlí Clark’s The Black God’s Drum, but it’s high on my TBR list! From what I understand, The Haunting of Tram Car 015 is set within the same world a
unknown
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Delightful characters in an inventive and unusual Middle Eastern fantasy setting, with a light tone I found irresistible. A bit slight, if self aware about it. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a full novel in this world eventually.
Caleb Masters
Nov 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
P. Djèlí Clark returns with another excellent novella bursting with warm characters and a fantastic world that left me craving more. Set in an alternate 1912 Cairo, this steampunk-djinn-noir follows two agents, Hamed and Onsi, in the Ministry of Alchemy, Enchantments, and Supernatural Entities as they investigate a haunted tram car. Clark packs so much story and vibrant detail into his book that I kept wishing for more time with his characters or for him to turn down another back alley of Cairo ...more
Acqua
Sep 17, 2018 marked it as to-read
Another novella from the author of The Black God's Drums! And look at that cover!
Marzie
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-paper
Set in an alternate world Cairo in 1912, The Haunting of Tram Car 015 offers a world in which djinn walk and work freely with humans. Agents Hamed Nasr and Onsi Youssef of the Ministry of Alchemy, Enchantments and Supernatural Entities have been assigned to figure out how to fix a haunted tram car. Superintendent Bashir thinks it's a ghost who attacked a woman on the tram but Hamed doesn't believe in ghosts since in the Ministry's thirty years of operation, none has ever been proven. He thinks w ...more
James Latimer
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novellas
Review to follow.
Megan
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
P. Djèlí Clark has this indescribable writing style that just...fills my soul. I don't know if it's his brilliant word choice or his syntax or his tone that feels like summer heat sticking to your skin despite the cool breeze or if it's the way his plots slowly unfold like a puzzle gently clicking into place, piece by piece until the full picture is suddenly, beautifully revealed, and it's stunning. Whatever it is, I love it.

The Haunting of Tram Car 015 has the same brilliant alternate-history
Oct 09, 2018
The Artisan Geek
Jan 12, 2019 is currently reading it
Shelves: 2019, black-lit
This book cannot come any sooner! I need this in my LIFE!
Amanda
Worldbuilding:
Writing:
Ending:
Concept:

Alternate-history Sci-fi books by P. Djèlí Clark are now one of my go to's for creative, well thought out worldbuilding. It's a beautiful combination of culture, advanced tech, and magic.

Given it's a novella, I do think the characters weren't as developed as they could but I still loved the snippets from interactions.

This book is a great followup from The Black God's Drums and I think Djèlí Clark has created a signature that won't be ea
Alexandria
Nov 23, 2018
  • The Lesson
  • Miranda in Milan
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Do You Dream of Terra-Two?
  • Alice Payne Arrives (Alice Payne, #1)
  • Empress of Forever
  • David Mogo, Godhunter
  • Gods of Jade and Shadow
  • The Deep
  • Gideon the Ninth (The Ninth House #1)
  • The Light Brigade
  • Waters of Versailles
  • The Shootout Solution (Genrenauts, #1)
  • Permafrost
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • The Future of Another Timeline
  • Breach
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan, #1)
Phenderson Djèlí Clark.

P. Djèlí Clark likes creating fantastic, dangerous, and exciting worlds. Usually with heroines & heroes. Almost always with magic & monsters. His short fiction has appeared in Daily Science Fiction, Heroic Fantasy Quarterly, Lightspeed, Tor.com and in print anthologies including Griots, Steamfunk, Myriad Lands and Hidden Youth.