What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Grover Goes to School (Sesame Street Start-To-Read Books)
This topic is about Grover Goes to School
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children’s Picture Book: Child has new box of crayons at school, feels pressured to share them with a kid who ends up breaking the crayons/damaging the box. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 4 comments I am pretty sure I read this book as a child, so likely sometime in the 80s. I saw an illustration of some crayons in a book I was reading to my son and it jogged my memory. Here’s what’s I recall:

- possibly a first day of school situation and main character wants to make new friends
- character could be male/female/human/animal ... no idea!
- main character has a brand new box of crayons and is very proud of/careful with them.
- I remember something about how there are school crayons that everyone can use, but they’re broken and in beat up boxes
- Another kid wants to share main character’s new crayons and ends up damaging some, and damaging the box. I specifically remember the top of the box lid being bent in the middle.
- Kid who pressured to share was (I think) portrayed as not being a good friend
- As I remember the ending, main character is approached by a different kid who wants to share something that belongs to the main character (maybe crayons again? maybe something different?)
- Main character is nervous to say no, but does say no and is relieved to find that the other kid is ok with it and still wants to play/be friends.

Help! It’s driving me crazy!!

message 2: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 4 comments More details are coming back to me! So first, the main character has a brand new pencil box and another student wants to trade for an old, beat up pencil box with a bent lid. Main character says yes (though they don’t really want to). I’m pretty sure that the second kid wants to trade crayons and the main character says “no”, having learned his/her lesson with the pencil box situation.

message 3: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 4 comments I vaguely remember the words “that’s a neat pencil box! Want to trade?” or something like that.

This probably wasn’t great literature, just FYI. 😂 But I remember reading it a lot!

message 5: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 4 comments Oh my gosh!!! That’s it! Thank you!

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16178 comments Great, glad to help out!