New Providence Memorial Library's Online Reading Group discussion

Monthly Discussions > Has the pandemic changed what you've been reading?

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by New Providence (new)

New Providence (npml) | 302 comments Mod
Are you taking comfort in your favorite genres during quarantine? Or have you switched to books you wouldn't have normally read? I am getting over my distaste for ebooks and a latest-bestseller-only friend of mine has discovered Ellery Adams' cozy mysteries. Let us know what you've been reading!

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy | 28 comments Oh Ellery Adams books are fun! I working my way through books that have sat on the shelf for two long! Reading Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver. Now that I know what “flight” entails....no spoiler alert...it’s grabbing my attention more. Be well and safe everyone.

message 3: by Judy (new)

Judy | 28 comments Sorry about not proofreading...fat-finger syndrome!

message 4: by Marilyn (new)

Marilyn | 143 comments I've not been able to read much lately but am listening to some 'easy' audiobooks, nothing that requires much thought. However, I'm looking forward to seeing what you all are reading or listening to. I did like audio of "Goodnight From London" by Jennifer Robson as well as the ebook "Redhead by the Side of the Road" by Anne Tyler. Currently reading "Outer Order Inner Calm" by Gretchen Rubin and it's easy to read few pages and put aside to pick up again when a few minutes presents itself.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Thornton (karenstaffordthornton) | 65 comments I have also had the problem of not being able to get interested in anything. I've picked up Outlander, and although I'm enjoying it, the thought of getting through 800+ pages is daunting.

I will say I discovered the wonderful Hoopla! I didn't use it until now, and it's been wonderful. I listened to The Day the World Came to Town and really enjoyed it (but unfortunately missed the book club discussion.) I've been borrowing several graphic novels that are actually a joy to read on a Kindle (you can double tap each cell to magnify it.) A couple favorite graphic novels from Hoopla are: They Called Us Enemy; Gender Queer: A Memoir; and Quiet Girl in a Noisy World: An Introvert's Story. I listened to Then She Was Gone. The narration was excellent, but the outcome was pretty predictable.

message 6: by Sangeeta (last edited May 18, 2020 11:09AM) (new)

Sangeeta | 156 comments i haven't changed what i'm reading, and somehow they days are going by quickly, so haven't been reading more than usual, but i've switched from listening to audio books while driving to while walking the dogs. so far during covid, i've listened to:

barkskins by annie proulx (long, but WOW ! i learned so much and was entertained in the process. 5 star !! nat geo to air a mini-series later this year.)

lab girl (hope jahren...very good. i want to read her new one now)

the day the world came to town (for last book club. good read)

fahrenheit 451 (we should do after "the library book" discussion !)

the dept of speculation (did not like this. weird and depressing. luckily it was short.)

and now, white trash: the 400 year old untold story of class in america. got through several chapters in 4 + hours (!) of weeding and putting out mulch yesterday :-D (very interesting and eye-opening!)

have read:

Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism: The Belief System That Enables Us to Eat Some Animals and Not Others (excellent, and not heavy handed. good insight into the environmental degradation caused by mass farming / slaughter of animals, and a thoughtful treatise re' the title...it makes you think about what is on your plate and how it got there....and why. )

push by sapphire (heartbreaking, but powerful and ultimately hopeful)

the worst hard time (very good . it's about the dust bowl - the people who STAYED)

Before and After: The Incredible Real-Life Stories of Orphans Who Survived the Tennessee Children's Home Society (one of the authors also wrote: before we were yours)

the thing about thugs (fun. sly digs at british colonialism and their thoughts about the "savages" they were trying to "fix")

the disappearance of adele bedeau (if you like nordic/european quiet mysteries, this was a good one.)

noone can pronounce my name (a little weird and took a while to get into, but ultimately a good read)

dog is love (if you love dogs, you'll love dog is love ;-)

the last pearl fisher of scotland (i like julia stuart, but preferred her first 2. the tower the zoo and the tortoise, and the matchmaker of perigord were adorable and sadly funny

message 7: by New Providence (new)

The Cold Dish (Walt Longmire, #1) by Craig Johnson
I've been enjoying "The Cold Dish" by Craig Johnson - this is the first in the mystery series that the Netflix original series Longmire is based on. The characters like Walt Longmire, the sheriff, are great & the humor balances out the violence. There is a strong sense of place, beautiful Bighorn Mountain county in Wyoming. In addition to Netflix, I also heard of it through my alma mater's university library - their book group read "Wait for Signs" which are short stories from the same series. For me it's always the sign of a good mystery if a book group can discuss it!

message 8: by New Providence (new)

FYI, the book drops are open now, if you'd like to return your books!