Bookish Worms discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2020 Challenge Archives > June Lighten TBR Shelf Prompt Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tessa (last edited May 14, 2020 11:43AM) (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) Hey y'all!
According to the poll, y'all want to do another Lighten TBR Shelf Challenge in June. Since this month is Pride Month, one set of prompts is going to be as follows:

Read a book with a main character that is-
L - Lesbian
G - Gay
B - Bisexual
T - Transgender
Q - Queer
+ = Asexual, pansexual, non-binary, etc.

(let me know if I missed something)

Down here, list some prompts that are like the prompts from the last challenge, and we (the mods) will randomly pick some. (5)

You can do both! The LGBTQ+ prompts, and the regular ones.

message 2: by Tessa (last edited May 20, 2020 07:07PM) (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) So this is the current list of prompts under the spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Rinda (new)

Rinda Reads (rindareads) I read the first book in the Wayward Children series and have wanted to finish the series. I believe most books in this series will work for this challenge and they're all around 200 pages so they're quick reads.

message 4: by Jawahir (new)

Jawahir  the Bookworm For those wishing to participate in the other prompts under the "spoiler" do we pick from the current list and write them in this thread?

Or will the moderators will send us another notification with 5 prompts already picked? (So no need for me to list down anything)

message 5: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) Jawahir wrote: "For those wishing to participate in the other prompts under the "spoiler" do we pick from the current list and write them in this thread?

Or will the moderators will send us another notification ..."

If you'd like to put any other prompts to give it a shot and see if it'll be picked, you can. The prompts under the spoiler are prompts already suggested by members

message 6: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) Rinda wrote: "I read the first book in the Wayward Children series and have wanted to finish the series. I believe most books in this series will work for this challenge and they're all around 200 pages so they'..."

Which prompt would they come under? (sorry i haven't read that series)

message 7: by Nancatto (new)

Nancatto hey i was also wondering if we could share some recs for each letter so that its easier for people to identify the books they wanna read

message 8: by Jawahir (new)

Jawahir  the Bookworm Heres are some prompts I thought would be interesting:
- A book with a destination in the title
- A fiction book written about a nonfiction person
- A book published by a small press
- A book set in a war zone/conflict

message 9: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) Alright I'm going to add that to the list!

message 10: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) Whew that's a long list

message 11: by Nancatto (new)

Nancatto if we want to...can we do both?? the letters as well as the prompts?

message 12: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) Ana wrote: "if we want to...can we do both?? the letters as well as the prompts?"

Of course! Sorry I forgot to add that part.

message 13: by Nancatto (new)

Nancatto Tessa HC (onceuponabookworm) wrote: "Ana wrote: "if we want to...can we do both?? the letters as well as the prompts?"

Of course! Sorry I forgot to add that part."

ohkay thanks a lot!!

message 14: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) Hey y'all, because this is a prompt thread, I'm going to delete anything unrelated, like today's conversation.

message 15: by Sara (new)

Sara | 98 comments Could we do a prompt about like plague-dystopian books? I'm not sure if that makes sense, but like books where a plague is a major part of it. Examples would be like The Maze Runner (because of the ending...rip) and The Andromeda Strain (although that's more sci-fi than YA)...
or I guess even Fever 1793 even though that's more middle-grade.
If that's too sensitive for our current situation I understand if you don't want to do this one.

message 16: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) Haha I don’t think it is. Funny story, right before quarantine (like a month before) we were reading it (Fever1793)in class and that was when the coronavirus was kinda “easing out of China” and coming to other countries, so it wasn’t a big deal in the US (where I live) yet, and my teacher said “the cases are getting worse because we are reading this book” And here we are

message 17: by Sara (new)

Sara | 98 comments Ahaha wow. We were reading poetry (which unfortunately had no crazy coincidences)

message 18: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) Haha

message 19: by Dalia (new)

Dalia | 89 comments We were reading Freak The Mighty. It was boring.

message 20: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) Ooh that was what we read at the beginning of the year. We watched the movie too

message 21: by Dalia (last edited May 18, 2020 02:37PM) (new)

Dalia | 89 comments Also I’m looking up some books with lgbtq main characters and here’s what I found that sounded interesting:

Lesbian-
Wild and Crooked
Of Fire and Stars
The Abyss Surrounds Us
Everything Leads to You
Fat Angie
Lies We Tell Ourselves
The Porcupine of Truth
We Are Okay
Huntress
Little & Lion

Gay-
Simon VS. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (on my tbr for forever)
Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
Hero
Proxy
True Letters From A Fictional Life
Openly Straight
Will Grayson, Will Grayson
Carry On
27 Hours

Bisexual-
Boyfriends With Girlfriends
The Gentleman’s Guide To Vice and Virtue
Ash
Ramona Blue

Transgender-
Luna
I Am J
Almost Perfect
Freakboy
The Art of Being Normal
If I Was Your Girl
A Boy Like Me
Beast (technically not the main character)

Queer and plus-
Symptoms of Being Human
None of the Above
Tash Hearts Tolstoy
Let’s Talk About Love

I’ll edit this if I find more that sounded interesting. Hope that helped!

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

One of my favorite is Will Greyson Will Greyson John Green about a gay couple

message 23: by Abrianna (new)

Abrianna (abriannaimbrogno) Simon vs homosapians agenda and Ramona blue r rly good btw

message 24: by Valerie May (new)

Valerie May (vlush) | 23 comments Can I still suggest a prompt?

I'm All Booked Up  YA | 6 comments The State of Us by Shaun David Hutchinson comes out June 2nd!!

message 26: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) Valerie May wrote: "Can I still suggest a prompt?"

I already put up the poll, but I can add your suggestion to the huge prompt list

message 27: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (shereads2much) | 1 comments This is a little late, but I’m thinking maybe a book with a rainbow/rainbow colors on the cover?

message 28: by Tessa (new)

Tessa  Herondale~Carstairs (jessawessa) Kathleen wrote: "This is a little late, but I’m thinking maybe a book with a rainbow/rainbow colors on the cover?"

I can add it to the list! Maybe it'll be picked next time:)

message 29: by Helena (new)

Helena S I have another book suggestion for a bisexual MC - Fever King by Victoria Lee

message 30: by Abrianna (new)

Abrianna (abriannaimbrogno) The Dark Tide is a lesbian romance/ACOTAR meets Caraval, book if anyone is stuck on Ya books for L catagory

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.