What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Day Joanie Frankenhauser Became a Boy
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. High school setting following a young girl mistaken for a boy. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Taylor (last edited May 13, 2020 10:06PM) (new)

Taylor D | 2 comments The Day Joanie Frankenhauser Became a BoyOk I read this book in grade school, I want to say some time between 2009 and 2011.

the book title was vaguely like " the -- life of (MC name)"
I remember the cover of the book clear as day: it was very colorful, the background was like a pink-ish color and it had the MC riding a skateboard, but only showed her legs and feet on the board riding on different colored strips that had the title in them.

The story seemed to be set in modern day- can;t remember if is had a specific location. I read it in the school library, but it didn't seem too old at the time.

It followed a young girl going into her freshman year at a new high school. she had a name commonly misread b the teachers to sound like a male's name. she had short-ish hair, acted like a tomboy, and hadn't hit puberty yet so she didn't have very prominent features. she lets herself be preserved as a boy and ends up in a group of boys and they went around playing spots and stuff.
Throughout the year her body develops more and so she starts wearing a chest band thing to keep her boobs from being noticable. she ends up getting feelings for one of the boys in her group, but she continues to try and hid her true sex to stay in the group.
I remember one scene near the end, the main girl and the boy from her group that liked/ was pretty close with climbed a tree near the school and I think she admitted that she was a girl, and the guy ran off and she sat in the tree like "i knew this was going to happen".
I do not remember much of what happened after that point in the story.

If anyone knows the title itself or even just the MC's name I would very much appreciate the help. Thanks.

message 3: by Taylor (new)

Taylor D | 2 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "The Day Joanie Frankenhauser Became a Boy?"

Oh my god yes! That's it!
Thank you friend!

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19012 comments You're welcome, glad to help out!