Aussie Readers discussion

Book Related Banter > Have you ever had such a book? Do you still have it?

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Jülie ☼♄  (last edited May 13, 2020 06:24PM) (new)

Jülie ☼♄  | 6262 comments Mine is Forever by Mildred Cram

Forever by Mildred Cram

I have, over the years, collected a few such gems, but the above book is always the first to spring to mind when asked this question.

message 3: by Tito (new)

Tito Athano (bobspringett) | 15 comments ☼♄Jülie  wrote: "Mine is Forever by Mildred Cram

Forever by Mildred Cram

I have, over the years, collected a few such gems, but the above book is always the first to spring to m..."

This might sound silly, but 'Pussy Willow' struck me as such a book. A children's book and with a simple point, but that point seemed at the time to be profound, and the illustrations were mystical, almost sensuously so.

Jülie ☼♄  | 6262 comments Tito wrote: "☼♄Jülie  wrote: "Mine is Forever by Mildred Cram

Forever by Mildred Cram

I have, over the years, collected a few such gems, but the above book is always the fi..."

Tito, it often seems strange, the things that resonate with us, but I think it's lovely when we recognise it and have one of those profound moments that stay with us 🤗
Have you ever revisited Pussy Willow?

message 5: by Anna (last edited May 13, 2020 11:38PM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 239 comments Julie, thank you for those words! I am a writer, currently about to finish an odd little book with the aim of just what you have shown.

I am going to spend some time thinking about such a book that I might have read. In the meantime, this one sprang to mind.

Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'Urbervilles made me fling the book across the room (honestly, I'm not that sort of person and never before or since have I done that). It was the sheer injustice of the outcome of Tess's life and I began to see that for some young girls life is still very unfair. I ached for her and I think it changed me - yes me, not just my outlook.

Veronica ⭐️ | 2242 comments I’m not sure if Carol Lefevre fits the obscure criteria but Murmurations certainly was a profound little book that I will read over and over.

message 7: by Jülie ☼♄  (last edited May 14, 2020 06:42AM) (new)

Jülie ☼♄  | 6262 comments Anna Faversham wrote: "Julie, thank you for those words! I am a writer, currently about to finish an odd little book with the aim of just what you have shown.

I am going to spend some time thinking about such a book th..."

Oh Anna I can understand why Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy would have had such an effect, I listened to the audio version many years ago and had a real love hate reaction to it. Though I loved the writing! It's a great story teller who can elicit such passion in their audience.
I'm glad those words got your thinking cap on for you 😊 I'll look forward to maybe reading your "odd little book" 🤗

message 8: by Jülie ☼♄  (last edited May 14, 2020 06:37AM) (new)

Jülie ☼♄  | 6262 comments Veronica ⭐️ wrote: "I’m not sure if Carol Lefevre fits the obscure criteria but Murmurations certainly was a profound little book that I will read over and over."

I haven't heard of this one Veronica but I see it's only new this year, it sounds intriguing so I will have look out for it 😊

message 9: by Deborah (new)

message 10: by Jülie ☼♄  (last edited May 30, 2020 04:51PM) (new)

Jülie ☼♄  | 6262 comments The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

...Oh and Willy Wonka!
You can learn so much from fantasy tales "if you just but look" 🤗

message 11: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 1583 comments Deborah wrote: "So many... So very many...I Am David by Anne Holm Sunshine by Robin McKinley
Roadmarks by Roger Zelazny..."

I clearly remember having I am David read to my class in primary school. It must have been Grade 5, because the reader was Sister Anne Louise... This book definitely made an impression on me, as I bought a secondhand copy some years back. I haven't re-read it yet though.

message 12: by Leonie (new)

Leonie (leonierogers) | 3116 comments The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was read to us in year 2 (7 years of age). I can clearly remember the teaching student's Irish accent.

I craved a copy of that book, and devoured them all. I still read them on occasion, and love them.

Jülie ☼♄  | 6262 comments Books really are magical aren't they? In that they can evoke so much emotion...often lasting a lifetime, and sometimes/oftentimes creating lasting changes in us. They are sooo important to young minds....and older ones!

message 14: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1821 comments ☼♄Jülie  wrote: "The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

...Oh and Wil..."

Willy Wonka! Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was the light of my life for a while when I was about 6 years old! I have carried that little book all around the world with me and I still have it.

message 15: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1821 comments Andrea wrote: "Deborah wrote: "So many... So very many...I Am David by Anne Holm Sunshine by Robin McKinley
Roadmarks by Roger Zelazn..."</i>

[book:I Am David
is a pretty lovely reading experience. I re-read it sometimes when I feel like being sad and happy at the same time, if that makes any sense at all.

message 16: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Ideiosepius | 1821 comments Leonie wrote: "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe was read to us in year 2 (7 years of age). I can clearly remember the teaching student's Irish accent.

I craved a copy of that book, and devoured..."

The Narnia books were a big part of my childhood and I am re-reading them this year. To my horror, I realised I no longer have my copy of The Last Battle so I don't know what I am going to do about that...

message 17: by Jülie ☼♄  (last edited May 31, 2020 04:09PM) (new)

Jülie ☼♄  | 6262 comments Deborah wrote: "☼♄Jülie  wrote: "The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by [author:Lewis Carroll|81..."

Haha I was a bit older with my experience of Willy Wonka! It's funny though, I hated the movie for a long time, but loved the story and the music. I love how these stories touch people at different levels and seem to hold something for everyone.

Jülie ☼♄  | 6262 comments Deborah wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Deborah wrote: "So many... So very many...I Am David by Anne Holm Sunshine by Robin McKinley
Roadmarks by [auth..."

[book:I Am David is a pretty lovely reading experience. I re-read it sometimes when I feel like being sad and happy at the same time, if that makes any sense at all.

Yes, I get that ;)

message 19: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimborams) | 497 comments I absolutely loved reading Cider With Rosie by Laurie Lee at school and have my own copy which I re-read from time to time, together with all of Laurie Lee's other writing. Also loved learning, when at school in Australia in the 1960's, The Man from Snowy River by A.B. Paterson - I have this still on Kindle and in a book called Banjo Paterson's Images of Australia. Another book I really loved reading when living in Australia as a child was February Dragon by Colin Thiele but sadly have been unable to find a reasonably-priced copy here in the UK.
Cider with Rosie by Laurie Lee The Man from Snowy River by A.B. Paterson Banjo Paterson's Images of Australia by Banjo Paterson February Dragon by Colin Thiele

message 20: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 721 comments Kim wrote: "Another book I really loved reading when living in Australia as a child was February Dragon by Colin Thiele but sadly have been unable to find a reasonably-priced copy here in the UK"

I'll keep an eye out for you here, Kim. The problem is really the postage rates, which are absolutely ludicrous at the moment! In the meantime, Fishpond have it on their worldwide site for a not too inflated price and free shipping: https://www.fishpond.com/Books/Februa...

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimborams) | 497 comments Sarah wrote: "Kim wrote: "Another book I really loved reading when living in Australia as a child was February Dragon by Colin Thiele but sadly have been unable to find a reasonably-priced copy here in the UK"

..."

Thanks Sarah, I'll have a look at that. Amazing how some books just linger in your memory, even from childhood! Read this when we were living in Orange, NSW in 1960's - didn't I see in one of your reviews that you lived in central NSW in your early years?

message 22: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 721 comments Kim wrote: "Read this when we were living in Orange, NSW in 1960's - didn't I see in one of your reviews that you lived in central NSW in your early years?"

Yes - I grew up in Wagga!

message 23: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimborams) | 497 comments Is that Wagga Wagga? Sure I can remember that - don't know how far it is from Orange but we used to travel to pony club meets as my dad was president of Orange Pony Club for several years and may have gone that far!

message 24: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 721 comments Yes, colloquially known by the single "Wagga" - it's about 300km SE of Orange.

message 26: by Icewineanne (new)

Icewineanne | 219 comments ...and Euphoria by Lily King

And yes, I still have copies of all 4 treasured books 🤗

message 27: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Deans (adriandeans) | 143 comments Kim wrote: "my dad was president of Orange Pony Club for several years and may h..."

There's a club for orange ponies?

My two books in this category would be: The Stone Cage and The Water Babies