Start by marking “The Stone Cage” as Want to Read:
The Stone Cage

The Stone Cage

4.62  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Published December 1st 1963 by Dobson

To ask other readers questions about The Stone Cage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Stone Cage

robyn
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This is a retelling of Rapunzel.

Nicholas Stuart Gray obviously adored cats, and had observed them well enough to be able to really write them. They're primary characters in most of his books, and in The Stone Cage, nearly the entire story is narrated by the witch's cat.

I think it's the most adult of Gray's books, because Tomlyn is such a cynic; every seemingly innocuous or even happy event is taken with a whole handful of salt. And with good cause; Tomlyn's lived his whole life in company with a
Sasha
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All ages, especially any adult thinking they've outgrown fairy tales!!!!
Shelves: favorites
My all-time favorite book, my first book love, read many times over many years.

Each page is a morsel of literary divinity to be savored slowly, deliberately and with exquisite relish. The story told through the eyes of the witch's cat intrigues and compels.

I never, ever praise any literature whatsoever as highly as I do this one. My life's dream would be to translate this extraordinary masterpiece to film. Nothing surpasses.

Read it and be transported to a fantastical place where your indulgence
Miriam
Feb 20, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Miriam by: Garth Nix
Shelves: younger, fantasy, theater
This short play reinterprets the story of Rapunzel from the point of view of the witch's cat.

Mother Gothel wants a baby to bring up as her assistant witch. Unbeknownst to her, and never guessed at because she is dumb as a post, Tomkyn the cat has learned magic and enchanted Rapunzel so that she becomes stupid in the presence of magic. I wish Grey had handled this spell with a little more subtlety, since it makes Rapunzel a rather boring character. This was probably deliberate, to keep the focus
Katie
May 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites, 2010, 2015
This book is a retelling of the story Rapunzel though the eyes of the witch's cat.

I first read the story as a child and was instantly captivated. Nearly 15 years later, it's still my favourite book from my childhood and holds such dear memories for me. It's a pity it's out of print.
Kate Forsyth
A wonderful classic children's fantasy which retells the Rapunzel fairy tale from the point of view of the witch's cat. The book which first made me think about writing my own Rapunzel retelling, when I was only 12.
Ingrid Carlsen
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, magical tale of Rapunzel, told through the eyes of Tomlyn the cat. One of the best books I've ever read, and it has been a long hunt to acquire a copy as it is so rare now.
For a child, this is such a believable and unforgettable story - it's almost a crime that it is out of print.
Yet that is what makes those of us who own it so much more blessed.
I say to everyone who loves magical stories, find a copy, even if it takes your whole life.
Carl Antrobus
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Superb. This is the type of book to create a love of books for life. When read while I was young it still stays vividly with me to this very day.
Adrian Deans
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have been meaning to rate this book for ages but kept forgetting.

The Stone Cage is easily in my top 5 favourite books. I say that about lots of books but this one really is.

It is an absolute masterpiece of storytelling, written by a fabulous author at the peak of his powers. The main narrator, Tomlyn, is wonderfully articulate and cynical and perfectly embodies the aloofness, dignity and conceit we assume cats to have when we anthropomorphise.

His relationship with Marshall the raven as they su
Cassandra Page
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I first read this when I was 11 and loved it. The second time I was 17 and I loved it then too. It's the Rapunzel story from the perspective of the witch's cat. A great book!
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Part of my past - and my present. I am the cat. I am the raven. I am the witch.
Narda
May 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love, Love, Love this book.
Classic retelling of 'Rapunzel',but from the witches Cats point of view.
I looked for a copy of this for 20 years!
Finally found one.
GeraniumCat
Mar 16, 2014
Ingrid
Jan 20, 2014
Nicholas Stuart Gray (23 October 1922, Scotland - 17 March 1981) was a British actor and playwright, perhaps best known for his work in children's theatre in England. He was also an author of children's fantasy; he wrote a number of novels, a dozen plays, and many short stories. Neil Gaiman has written that Gray "is one of those authors I loved as a boy who holds up even better on rereading as an ...more
More about Nicholas Stuart Gray
“My name is Tomlyn. I am very beautiful. Marshall says I am spiteful and wicked and a barbarian to boot. He’s jealous of my thick grey fur, my white chin and breast, and the snowy end of my tail. I suppose he can’t help being envious, the great rusty-black thing! He’s got a big, blunt beak, and stubby wings, and tiny little eyes... He’s old and stupid and a coward; with an endless flow of long words that he can’t possibly understand.” 1 likes