What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Variant (Variant, #1)
This topic is about Variant
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Fiction about an automated, suspicious private school? [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ground (new)

Ground Control | 2 comments So, I found this random book in the library about 4 or 5 years ago, probably? Some of these details may be a little off/random because there's a good chance I'm combining two different vague books from my past in this description.

It was a YA book with a female main character, I think? She was a new student at what I believe was an automated school, where the doors lock at specific times and food just appears during mealtimes. The punishments for students stepping out of line were weird and cruel I think, including being locked out of the school for the night. I think one of the students may have turned out to be a robot/clone/or part of some sort of sci-fi twist near the middle/end that stood out from the rest of the books overall mood, as it wasn't very science fiction. Also, they may have played paintball at some point? At the end the school may have burned down? I'm not sure if it's a part of the series but I think I might remember the ending being sort of cliff hanger-ish.

If it's any help, I believe the cover of the copy I borrowed may have been orange-y with red and yellow hues, a girl's face at the top and a gate below that, but that could be completely faulty memory talking. This description is a sort of muddled mess, and again, I may be completely mixing two different books up here, so I hope this group can manage to work its magic for me.

message 2: by ...cats? (new)

...cats? | 377 comments This is a bit of a stretch, but House of Stairs by William Sleator has a female main character who ends up in an automated "school" with a robot in it that feeds her, and the kids there all frequently experience cruelties.

message 3: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 60 comments Could it be Variant?

Pretty sure it has a male main character, but a lot of the other details fit, including the twist with the robot character.

message 4: by Ground (new)

Ground Control | 2 comments Nadia wrote: "Could it be Variant?

Pretty sure it has a male main character, but a lot of the other details fit, including the twist with the robot character."

Yes! So I figured out I was definitely mixing it up with another book I read at the same time, which also involved a school, and was cause for the 'female main character' confusion. Thank you!

message 5: by Nadia (new)

Nadia | 60 comments Of course! Glad you figured it out :)