What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Beetles, Lightly Toasted
This topic is about Beetles, Lightly Toasted
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Childrens/YA Novel Realistic School Setting about boy who feeds his family insects for a science fair project. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aiden (last edited May 12, 2020 11:18AM) (new)

Aiden Bussey | 2 comments I have a niece and have recently returned to some books from my childhood. I'm trying to find a book I read when I was in elementary school, but it may have been targeted at middle school students. This was probably around 1997, so I think the book was from the 80s or possibly 90s.

In the book, the school has a science fair focused around sustainable practices that can be implemented by families and households. It's a suburban setting, I think American but possibly Canadian. The boy's project is using insects as protein and he proceeds to cook for his family, feeding them various insects (I think crickets, meal worms, etc.).

He has some sort of academic rival. SPOILERS The reader doesn't see the rival's project as he is working on it, but I believe the perception is that he is favored to win (the rival brags a lot and I believe is a top student). SPOILER: at the science fair, the other boy's project is revealed to have been efficiently multi-tasking with appliances/household items such as using the heat of a car engine to fry things or cooking a fish in dishwasher. I believe in the end the two boys tie and both win the science fair.

Any help in finding this would be much appreciated. At first I thought it was How to Eat Fried Worms, but that is apparently a DIFFERENT book about children eating bugs. I also found Boy Bites Bug (2018), which was far after this, but also about a boy who eats bugs. Thank you all for your help with this!

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20964 comments Kinda sounds like a cross between Liver Cookies and Chocolate-Covered Ants?

Nachelle | 151 comments Maybe "Beetles, Lightly Toasted" by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor?

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20964 comments Beetles, Lightly Toasted for Nachelle's suggestion.

message 5: by Aiden (last edited May 13, 2020 06:21AM) (new)

Aiden Bussey | 2 comments That is definitely it! Thank you both so much - I do not think I could have found this on my own with just google and search terms!

I am very, very excited to share this with my niece. You really made my day.

Nachelle | 151 comments You're welcome!