NetGalley Addicts Support Group discussion

Need Help? [Ask the Group] > Problems posting to B&N

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison (bananatricky) | 35 comments Is anyone else having problems posting reviews to B&N? I was thrilled when they updated their review portal because the old one was so clunky but the new one keeps rejecting my reviews for profanity. I honestly have read each of the reviews four or five times and I can't see what is triggering this issue, other retailers such as Amazon, Kobo, Google Books and Waterstones are publishing the exact same reviews without comment.

I can't find an email address to contact them to ask what is triggering their profanity alert and the review doesn't highlight the word which is tripping their sensors.

Anyone had the same issue or have a handy guide to everyday words which could cause problems?

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori Boyd (loriboyd) | 26 comments I had a issue when it first changed. I had the word ‘hell’ in a review. Had to go back and change it. I haven’t had an issue since though.

message 3: by Em__Jay (new)

Em__Jay | 24 comments Do you have a link to the reviews we can read? There might be something others can pick up that you missed.

message 4: by Connie (new)

Connie | 17 comments Alison wrote: "Is anyone else having problems posting reviews to B&N? I was thrilled when they updated their review portal because the old one was so clunky but the new one keeps rejecting my reviews for profanit..."

B&N drives me nuts! When they changed their format, I was delighted, but quickly lost that happiness when they refused my review for profanity. There was NO profanity! Now, it takes forever to get a link to my review and the link is very long. I know that sounds technical but I am still confused with it and truly ready to stop posting my reviews with them. I have posted tons of reviews with them over the years and thoroughly disgusted at this point.

message 5: by Alison (new)

Alison (bananatricky) | 35 comments Hopefully this is a link to a blocked review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... Time Waits by C.B Lewis

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 176 comments Alison wrote: "Hopefully this is a link to a blocked review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... Time Waits by C.B Lewis"

I'm not certain, but it might be because of the NetGalley disclaimer at the bottom. Try submitting your review without it and see how it goes.

message 7: by Alison (new)

Alison (bananatricky) | 35 comments Thanks, but I have to add a disclaimer that I have received the book for free and B&N have posted many other reviews containing that specific disclaimer so that can’t be the issue

message 8: by Melanie (last edited May 14, 2020 05:34AM) (new)

Melanie (mvalente89) | 287 comments Alison wrote: "Hopefully this is a link to a blocked review https://www.goodreads.com/review/show... Time Waits by C.B Lewis"

It would be terrible if this is the case, but I've had it happen on Amazon before (B&N could be similar). But is it possibly the word gay?

Fictionophile  (fictionophile) | 176 comments Alison wrote: "Thanks, but I have to add a disclaimer that I have received the book for free and B&N have posted many other reviews containing that specific disclaimer so that can’t be the issue"
I've heard that Amazon will not accept the NetGalley disclaimer so I thought B&N might be the same.

message 10: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 76 comments I was having so much trouble with the old format for reviews but since it's changed, all my B&N reviews have gone through (knock on wood).

If I get a book from NetGalley, I always include the NetGalley disclaimer on my reviews, on both the B&N and Amazon sites and they've taken them. Hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying that. These things seems so fickle 🤣

message 11: by Lori (new)

Lori Boyd (loriboyd) | 26 comments i always put a disclaimer regarding ARC from NetGalley. I’ve never had an issue....just posted 2 this week and both were accepted. Agree about jinxing/fickle!

message 12: by Alison (new)

Alison (bananatricky) | 35 comments Marilyn, apologies to all I’m on the iPhone and can’t reply to individual posts (or don’t know how) I too put the NetGalley disclaimer on all Amazon reviews and (fingers crossed) I haven’t had a review rejected for ages.

message 13: by Alison (new)

Alison (bananatricky) | 35 comments Melanie, I don’t think it’s the word gay, I also had a contemporary straight romance rejected for profanity. I just wish they would highlight the word that offends

message 14: by Teresa (new)

Teresa | 34 comments I used the word "slut" and it was rejected. I changed the word and it went through fine. I was also rejected because I put that I received my book for free and that was rejected, took it out and it went through. Crazy.

Alison wrote: "Is anyone else having problems posting reviews to B&N? I was thrilled when they updated their review portal because the old one was so clunky but the new one keeps rejecting my reviews for profanit..."

message 15: by Em__Jay (new)

Em__Jay | 24 comments Nazi is the only word that I can think of that might trigger a block.

And yes, I understand there are books and book blurbs and other reviews that would include that word but these automatic checks are not always reasonable.

message 16: by Alison (new)

Alison (bananatricky) | 35 comments Found another one which I had to butcher to get through B&N, this is the uncut version https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 17: by Lori (new)

Lori Boyd (loriboyd) | 26 comments The only thing I can see that could possible be the problem is ‘Badass’. If that’s it, it’s totally ridiculous!

message 18: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (boingboing) | 16 comments Could I ask if UK-based members are doing BN reviews? I can't see the point in joining a site for a company that isn't in my country just to cross-post reviews. As a relative newbie to NG, am I going to suffer if I don't comply with the request to post?

message 19: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 76 comments Barbara wrote: "Could I ask if UK-based members are doing BN reviews? I can't see the point in joining a site for a company that isn't in my country just to cross-post reviews. As a relative newbie to NG, am I goi..."

I don't know if it will help you to post your reviews to B&N but it certainly couldn't hurt. The book eventually gets [published in all countries so the more exposure your review gets, the better, I would think.

message 20: by Alison (new)

Alison (bananatricky) | 35 comments The US has far more readers than the UK so it makes sense to post to US sites if you can. Amazon US now have a minimum annual spend requirement so I can’t post there but I post to Amazon UK, Waterstones, Kobo, Google Play and B&N. I find iBooks too much hassle to post reviews so I don’t bother. Having said that, I don’t think it counts against you if you don’t post on multiple sites. Hope that helps

message 21: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn | 58 comments If the book is from a UK based publisher I think they like you to post to UK sites - that's their market after all - so I usually do for those books but not those from US publishers.

message 22: by Alison (new)

Alison (bananatricky) | 35 comments Okay, had yet another review bounced this afternoon by B&N after a string of successes, I had already starred out c*ck as a potential trigger but it still didn't like it. Randomly I guessed the trigger word was sex and restored cock to my review and it passed. So apparently "sex" is a profane word but cock isn't LOL, good to know

message 23: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 76 comments I posted a review for Victoria's War and used the word Nazi throughout the review because that's what it was all about...what the Nazis were doing during the Holocaust. I had to change every single Nazi to "German bad guys" despite the synopsis using the word Nazi.

message 24: by Alison (new)

Alison (bananatricky) | 35 comments marilyn wrote: "I posted a review for Victoria's War and used the word Nazi throughout the review because that's what it was all about...what the Nazis were doing during the Holocaust. I had to change every single..."

Ha ha, German bad guys. The inanity of these rules is just mind-blowing

message 25: by MarilynW (new)

MarilynW (huecotx) | 76 comments Alison wrote:Ha ha, German bad guys. The inanity of these rules is just mind-blowing

I felt so silly doing it...I'm happy to say that Amazon took my review as I had originally written it.

message 26: by Alison (new)

Alison (bananatricky) | 35 comments And another one https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

The offensive word was 'whore'

message 27: by Davida (new)

Davida Chazan (chocolatelady) | 72 comments Lori wrote: "i always put a disclaimer regarding ARC from NetGalley. I’ve never had an issue....just posted 2 this week and both were accepted. Agree about jinxing/fickle!"

It has nothing to do with the disclaimer, it has to do with profanity, apparently. Words like sex, whore, slut are being rejected. I had this happen to me as well.

message 28: by Thamy (new)

Thamy | 61 comments I was so irritated the last time I tried to post to B&N I cut all my review and just posted a line from it...