2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2020 > The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive #1)

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3807 comments Yay! We are finally starting Stormlight Archive!

message 2: by Dominique (new)

Dominique  | 755 comments Can't wait to dive into this series!

message 3: by Alison (new)

Alison | 835 comments I have had this monster on my Kindle for a long time now! So glad to have some friends to read it with!! 😀

message 4: by Therese (new)

Therese   | 129 comments Alison wrote: "I have had this monster on my Kindle for a long time now! So glad to have some friends to read it with!! 😀" Same with me!

message 5: by Dominique (new)

Dominique  | 755 comments Alison wrote: "I have had this monster on my Kindle for a long time now! So glad to have some friends to read it with!! 😀"

I have the paperback.. it's massive. I think we'll have a lot of things to chat about.

I didn't check how it's written, hope it's separated by parts.

message 6: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4937 comments I started this last night and only read the first 25 pages.

In response to Dominique's comment, there are Parts One through Five, separated by three three-chapter Interludes.
Excluding those 9 interlude chapters, there's 75 main-story chapters + Epilogue.

I'm just glad this is a two-month buddy read. :)

message 7: by Dominique (new)

Dominique  | 755 comments oshizu wrote: "I started this last night and only read the first 25 pages.

In response to Dominique's comment, there are Parts One through Five, separated by three three-chapter Interludes.
Excluding those 9 in..."

Thanks for the info. I bought the book but didn't peaked.

message 8: by Therese (last edited Feb 01, 2020 05:50PM) (new)

Therese   | 129 comments Okay it looks like I will finish this book on April 20th. I'll finish up just in time for Book 2 to start,

message 9: by Franci (new)

Franci (francina) | 122 comments How do I join? I really wanna do a re-read.

message 10: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3807 comments Franci, you can join simply by posting here that you would like to do so :)

message 11: by Franci (new)

Franci (francina) | 122 comments Thanks Ilona!

message 12: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4937 comments Therese wrote: "Okay it looks like I will finish this book on April 20th. I'll finish up just in time for Book 2 to start,"

That's great to hear, Therese!
Each BR thread stays open for an extra month so we'll still be able to read your comments, respond, and such. :D

message 13: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4937 comments Franci wrote: "How do I join? I really wanna do a re-read."

If you're joining us for the rest of the available books in this series, which we truly hope you will, you can also sign up in the 2020 Buddy Reads Sign-Up Thread by posting that you wish to join the Stormlight Archive series Buddy Reads.

Our current schedule:
Feb-Mar: SA #1 (2010): The Way of Kings
Apr: Elantris #2 (2012): The Emperor's Soul (175 pages)
May-Jun: SA#2 (2014): Words of Radiance
July: SA# 2.5 (2016): Edgedancer (272 pages)
Aug-Sep: SA #3 (2017): Oathbringer

Cheers, Franci!

message 14: by Kishore (new)

Kishore Kadapala (kishore_kadapala) | 15 comments Awesome!! Stormlight Archive finally. I started reading it in December and am now reading 'Oathbringer'. Haven't read 'The emperor's soul' and 'Edgedancer' yet though.

It would be great to discuss the book with veryone.

message 15: by Alison (new)

Alison | 835 comments I am about 10% in! Part way through Part One! It is a little confusing at first but I have settled in and am now following the stories/characters and look forward to what happens next! 😊

message 16: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Feb 03, 2020 12:10PM) (new)

oshizu | 4937 comments Kishore wrote: "Awesome!! Stormlight Archive finally. I started reading it in December and am now reading 'Oathbringer'. Haven't read 'The emperor's soul' and 'Edgedancer' yet though.

It would be great to discuss..."

@Kishore
The Emperor's Soul is actually Book 2 in the Elantris series, not Stormlight Archive. Haha, I'm sure you knew that already.:D
I just posted the book along with the Stormlight books as some of us in this Buddy Read have recently read Elantris #1.

message 17: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (last edited Feb 08, 2020 04:02AM) (new)

Ilona | 3807 comments I just finished Part 1 and agree with you, Alison, that the beginning is a bit confusing, but now the book starts to give more information about the characters.
This world is so detailed that it is almost too much!

message 18: by Kishore (new)

Kishore Kadapala (kishore_kadapala) | 15 comments Ilona wrote: "I just finished Part 1 and agree with you, Alison, that the beginning is a bit confusing, but now the book starts to give more information about the characters.
This world is so detailed that it i..."

I went through the same when I first started reading it. I almost gave up but then once you get through the first pages, it gets kind of slow, a good kind of slow.

message 19: by Therese (last edited Feb 18, 2020 06:23AM) (new)

Therese   | 129 comments I am at chapter 5 and am starting to enjoy this novel.

message 20: by Dominique (new)

Dominique  | 755 comments The book is next to my couch looking at me, waiting for me to open it. Will for sure start this weekend.

message 21: by Therese (new)

Therese   | 129 comments I'm enjoying the book so far. I am slowly learning about the characters and the world Sanderson has created. It is an interesting world. I am on Part II now.

My favorite character is Kaladin.

message 22: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Feb 21, 2020 12:30PM) (new)

oshizu | 4937 comments Due to my usual over-commitment to various reading challenges (#noregrets), I only started reading this last night.
Actually, I read the Prologue and Chapter 1 at the start of this month but found I had to reread it.

Anyway, I just finished Chapter 8. I like the format of alternating narrators. I never felt very connected to the Mistborn Trilogy characters, but I'm enjoying this book a lot.

My favorite character so far is that ardent, Brother Kabsal, whom Shallan met in the "royal library" while waiting for Jasnah Kolin.
I hope he reappears in later chapters. *crosses fingers

message 23: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Feb 24, 2020 05:53PM) (new)

oshizu | 4937 comments I finished Part 2 including the 3 Interlude chapters today.
Feeling rather sleep-deprived now but I kept reading "one more chapter" last night. It is a highly readable book.

Random impressions on Part 2
(view spoiler)

So many questions? So many loose threads!
I am burning with curiosity! LOL
How's everyone else's reading going?

message 24: by Kishore (new)

Kishore Kadapala (kishore_kadapala) | 15 comments oshizu wrote: "I finished Part 2 including the 3 Interlude chapters today.
Feeling rather sleep-deprived now but I kept reading "one more chapter" last night. It is a highly readable book.

Random impressions on ..."

I went throught the same when I read it the first time, 'one more chapter' kept me going until I was reading till 3 AM in the morning most of the days.

I am not sure if I should comment on the questions and loose threads since I finished the third colume few days ago.

message 25: by Dominique (new)

Dominique  | 755 comments L'm starting the audio today.

message 26: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4937 comments Kishore wrote: ".I went throught the same when I read it the first time, 'one more chapter' kept me going until I was reading till 3 AM in the morning most of the days.

I am not sure if I should comment on the questions and loose threads since I finished the third colume few days ago.."

Thanks for responding, Kishore!
By "third colume," do you mean Part 3? I'm in the middle of that now.
I like to post questions that puzzle me in the course of reading. Unless I specifically request an answer to something I've missed, though, I'm not actually asking for answers because I'd like to see for myself how the story unfolds.
In part 2, for example, (view spoiler)
In Part 3, (view spoiler)
However, non-spoilery discussion of unaanswered questions is always welcome!

Dominique wrote: "L'm starting the audio today."
@Dominique
Hurry up! I'm waiting to hear what you have to say! :D

message 27: by oshizu, Challenges (last edited Feb 24, 2020 05:54PM) (new)

oshizu | 4937 comments I just finished Part 3 and its interlude chapters (Kindle says I'm at 71%). At this rate, I might try to finish reading this book in February.

A few more thoughts
(view spoiler)

message 28: by Dominique (new)

Dominique  | 755 comments oshizu wrote: "Kishore wrote: ".I went throught the same when I read it the first time, 'one more chapter' kept me going until I was reading till 3 AM in the morning most of the days.

I am not sure if I should c..."

Ahhhh pressure!!! Lol! So far I like it. I might listen to half of the book and then do the rest physical.

message 29: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3807 comments I finished this book last weekend! It actually took me way longer to read than the other books by Sanderson.

I loved how detailed this world is and how the characters develop. Can't wait to read the other books :)

message 30: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4937 comments I was planning to take a reading break for the rest of the month, but ended up finishing this book this morning.
For me, it was more enjoyable than any of the other Brandon Sanderson books I've read so far.

message 31: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4937 comments @Scott
How you doing? Is everything okay in your part of the world?

message 32: by Alison (new)

Alison | 835 comments I am starting part three...I was hoping to finish this by the end of February but it is such a Monster! ;) I am really enjoying the world building and the characters, however!
My favorite character so far is Dalarin...he is somewhat tortured, I would say! Kaladin is a bit of a mystery to me...I think there is something big in his future in the story!

message 33: by oshizu, Challenges (new)

oshizu | 4937 comments @Alison
I agree with you about Dalarin and I'm also quite a fan.
Kaladin reminds me a lot of Kelsier who I never warmed to, but I'm hoping Kaladin will surprise me in Book 2.

message 34: by Dominique (new)

Dominique  | 755 comments L'm at part 3. Liking it so far. Kaladin is my fav so far. The audio is pretty good, just wished people didn't bother me while l'm working/listening so I can get further!

message 35: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 22 comments I started listening to the audio book about 6 months ago but had to interrupt listen for other more pressing Buddy Reads (I know! I really didn’t want to!) but I started listening again a week and a half ago and am now at about 70+%! I’m enjoying it so much. It was actually really easy to get back into, but I am a little confused by the chapter-opening death scenes and the interludes. They go by so quickly in the audio. It doesn’t help that I’m listening at 1.75x speed. 😂That speed is fine for the main story.

At this point in the story, so many dramatic things are happening, I can barely wait to get back to it!!

message 36: by Alison (new)

Alison | 835 comments I just finished and seriously, the last third of the book would not allow me to put it down!! Thank You for allowing me to Buddy Read this with you...I am looking forward to Words of Radiance! 😊

message 37: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Finally starting. I just finished the wheel of time series.

message 38: by Dominique (new)

Dominique  | 755 comments Sorry been late but finished it last night. Loved it!

message 39: by Scott (new)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments @oshizu sorry i haven't been as active lately. I've been spending alot of time studying my family history so not reading as much fiction. But i'm definitely going to continue with the Sanderson series. I did finish the the first two books in this series back in 2017 so i'm really looking forward to the 3rd book. I'm going to reread the first two so everything will be fresh when i get to the third.

message 40: by DivaDiane (new)

DivaDiane | 22 comments I finished this last week and loved it! I especially like how Sanderson paints only individuals as reprehensible and not who types of people. Kaladin clearly hates the light eyes, and many of them are truly awful, but we also get to see how at least Dalinar and his son behave humanely and with honor.

I’m really wondering how the next book with play out.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.