Start by marking “Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)

Edgedancer

(The Stormlight Archive #2.5)

4.28  ·  Rating details ·  41,141 ratings  ·  2,783 reviews
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, a special gift edition of Edgedancer, a short novel of the Stormlight Archive (previously published in Arcanum Unbounded).

Three years ago, Lift asked a goddess to stop her from growing older--a wish she believed was granted. Now, in Edgedancer, the barely teenage nascent Knight Radiant finds that time stands stil
Published October 17th 2017 by Tor Books (first published November 22nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Edgedancer, please sign up.
Tianna Yes, definitely. Brandon started writing Oathbringer and realized that there were two character developments that needed to happen first. So he wrote …moreYes, definitely. Brandon started writing Oathbringer and realized that there were two character developments that needed to happen first. So he wrote Edgedancer to fulfill that. He talks about it at the end of the book. (But don’t read that until you finish Edgedancer. Spoilers and all.)(less)
Amanda I read Oathbringer first. While not having read Edgedancer did not hinder my enjoyment of Book 3, I would recommend reading Edgedancer first. It conta…moreI read Oathbringer first. While not having read Edgedancer did not hinder my enjoyment of Book 3, I would recommend reading Edgedancer first. It contains information that is helpful to know (specifically in one of the battles); not just about Lift, but Darkness as well.(less)

·  41,141 ratings  ·  2,783 reviews

Start your review of Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)
Samir
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story but didn't like Lift so much. She reminds me of Dee Dee from Dexter's Laboratory. Now imagine Dee Dee singing "Everything is Awesome" from the "Lego Movie" and try not to be annoyed.
James Tivendale
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A pretty awesome novella that fits in nicely between Words of Radiance and Oathbringer. Lift is a really neat, kooky character and Wyndle is a very cool spren companion. It's a 40,000 words tale that gives some more quality screen time to Darkness and Szeth. A nice bitesize Stormlight Archive story that doesn't take too long to read at all.
Petrik
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mini Review (I read this in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection)

Lift approaching the city of Yeddaw (This is an example of the kind of illustration that appeared in Arcanum Unbounded for each story.)

According to Khriss’s annotation, Roshar from The Stormlight Archive series is the most majestic planet and probably the most important System to the Cosmere universe. Out of all worlds that Sanderson has created until now, Roshar and Scadrial have always been my favorite worlds to visit and to
Scott  Hitchcock
Finished up my re-read in prep for Oathbringer. While still a good book which offered us lots of hints about events, heralds, the cosmere, the radiants...............

But, and there's always a but, I simply can only take Lift in small doses. The first time through I read this as part of Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection I thought perhaps it was just a big of Sanderson burnout reading that much of him in one sitting and also finishing off MB Era 2 about the same time.

This time it confirme
Choko
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.75 ***

And now for the crown jewel of this collection, the never before published Stormlight Archive novella, “Edgedancer”. It takes place right after the second book in the series, "Words of Radiance". lift, our "Awesome" thief is the main protagonist here and this is one of the reasons I was not looking forward to reading it. Not because of anything else, but I was not a fan of Lift's character. Although I know she is young and the author is giving her plenty of place to grow, and I mean
Robin (Bridge Four)
description

I loved Lift in the interlude of Words of Radiance (WoR). Her character and story was one that interested me a lot. She is so different than anyone else that we have yet seen with a spren. In fact she doesn’t even acknowledge that her spren is in fact a spren, instead she calls him a Voidbringer all the time. I find her irreverence and childishness sort of refreshing.

So after coming into some of her power in WoR she has lived in the palace with her good friend Gawx but apparently it is time to
Gavin
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This Stormlight novella focused on Lift, who we met in the interludes of the main books. It was both a strength and a weakness because while Lift is an interesting character, and one with unique gifts, she also has the tendency to be a bit annoying. I think I prefer my Lift in small doses!

Feeling stifled in the Bronze Palace of Azir, where her friend Gawx rules, she flees the place and goes for a bit of sightseeing. Along for the journey is her long-suffering "Voidbringer" companion Wyndle.

The
Lady Luna. ✨
This book! O.M.G.
My prayers have been answered and I have been given the most relatable character ever.. A 12 year old girl?! So I guess what they say about my maturity levels are true, but anyway.... It was also about food and I love food and think about it 24/7, I had approximately 15 snacks while reading this due to the delicious wine hamper picture at the start of every chapter.

*turns on awesomeness*

More detailed RTC

Recommended to all fans of Sanderson. You do need to read his other
Melanie
Readalong for the BooktubeSFF Awards which is being hosted by Adriana from Perpetual Pages, Chelsea from TheReadingOutlaw, Samantha from Novels and Nonsense, Connor from Connor O'Brien, Elizabeth from Books and Pieces, Kaitlin from Kitty G, Sam from Thoughts on Tomes, Elena from Elena Reads Books, and Thomas from SFF180!

First and foremost, I haven't read The Way of Kings or Words of Radiance, and I know this had some spoilers for me and I'm a horrible person, but I really needed to read this
Aoife - Bookish_Babbling
Sando unsurpisingly cleverly packs a lot into this novella. Taking us and his characters on quite the journey of discovery. Not only to a new & frankly ingeniously descriptive land unlike any other encountered so far but also an incredibly inventive journey of self-discovery for Lift & Wyndle who play so well off one another and the characters they meet along the way as to bring a levity to what is a contrastingly darker setting than the tone of the dialogue implies - Sando is so damn good at th ...more
Deborah Obida
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adult

I will remember those who have been forgotten.
I will listen to those who have been ignored!”

I know I was supposed to read this before Oathbringer but things don't always go according to plans.

This book is everything I thought and wanted it to be and storming more. I even love Lift more than I did before, The world building,writing, plot is amazing, its BS so am not surprised.

Wyndle is so different from the other Sprens that bonded with Radiants, he is so whinny, he complains about everythin
Blake the Book Eater
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I. Love. Lift. (Also Wyndle.)

This book (novella) really fleshes out Lift so much. She popped in for a short (kind of novella?) in Words of Radiance and now she’s given her time to shine. This is also VERY important for certain...character changes...in certain characters...before Oathbringer, buuuuuut to get into that would be way too spoilery.

This follows Lift as she travels to the city Yeddaw in Tashikk. She’s there for a reason...and that reason is food. I love that
Steven
Reread September 2020
---
While Lift's style of speech and constant "food food food" talk is a little grating on my nerves, overall her character is a great one. I love the Edgedancer ideals, and the surge of Growth/Regrowth is really cool. The Slick thing is neat, but doesn't pique my interest as much. Wyndle is really adorable to me, a reluctant hero.

We see some growth (no pun intended) in both Lift and Wyndle in this one, along with her nemesis Darkness, and we get to meet another Surgebinder (
Justin
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fired up the Oathbringer audiobook on Friday, fully prepared to embark on a 55 hour journey back to the Shattered Plains. I hit the Play button, and the first thing that hits my ears is the Author’s Note, which I almost skipped because, I mean, who cares, right?

Sanderson says something about how he has all these people to thank and how he’s not the only person responsible for the book and he’s so humble and whatever who cares, but then...

Then, he strongly recommends stopping and reading his nove
J.L.   Sutton
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
“She stuck her tongue out at him. A totally rational and reasonable way to fight a demigod.”

Lift the Edgedancer by Paul Canavan : Stormlight_Archive

“The world ends tomorrow, but the day after that, people are going to ask what’s for breakfast.”

Brandon's Sanderson's Edgedancer (Stormlight Archive #2.5) is more lighthearted and fun (and a much thinner volume) than the other installments in the series. I'd reread the first three books of The Stormlight Archive before going back to read Edgedancer. Even though I should have read it after the Words of Ra
Valliya Rennell

This Stormlight novella follows Lift as she enters the city of Yeddaw in pursuit of Nale, whom she calls Darkness. Although this novella does bring character development to Nale, Lift, and surprisingly Szeth (?), I must admit that I was bored most of the time.

As much as I enjoy Lift in the Interludes in the main books, I think this is evidence for the fact that I just wouldn't enjoy a fully Lift-centric novel. My main issues with the book were just the pacing and an incomprehensible-ish
Jonathan O'Neill
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 ⭐

Sanderson really “engages [his] awesomeness” in this fun little novella. He achieves his goal in displaying a number of character-defining moments that otherwise would’ve happened offscreen between ‘WOR’ and ‘Oathbringer’ while offering up some heartfelt and reasonably funny moments along the way. Iso got you down? This stormin’ book might just be the Lift you need!... Let go of me! I’ll see myself out.

‘Edgedancer’ showcases Lift, a budding young radiant that had her own relatively lengt
Choko
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as the audio goes, as always, the Graphic Audio Productions are Awesome!

Lift is still the most annoying character Sanderson has ever written though... Still, the information for the series is important and it is still Sanderson - he can make even a very annoying character a part of a very good story. I recommend the Audio for re-reads of big and biffy books like this series tends to have, because it is better to get everything and you just can't get it on one read. The Audio is a grate ad
ℨαrα
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: ★★★☆☆¾

I like Lift as a character, but she’s got a very distinctive, powerful and somewhat flamboyant personality to say the least. So reading for her for an extended period of time can be just a liiittle much. On the other hand, I usually don’t enjoy novellas all that much, but this one was interesting, and I can’t wait to see how one character in particular plays a role in Oathbringer.

———————————

Someone please stop me from getting through this series faster than the characters do Storm
Thomas J. Benedict
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
(Edit) Potential Cosmere connection:
I think Roial from Elantris might be Wyndle, Lift’s spren from the Stormlight Archive series. Sanderson put effort into highlighting the fact both characters love to garden, which seems unique to only Roial and Wyndle within the Cosmere books I’ve read so far.

———
I will cry the day Brandon Sanderson dies.

The Stormlight Archive series is at the cutting edge of fantasy, is monumental and will be remembered for years. By the time the last book comes out, I predict
Alex Nieves
Oct 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNzD7...

Well, that was a book. Personally for me I just cannot get down with Lift as a character. She's not funny, I don't find her silly antics I'm using, I don't care about how many pancakes she wants to eat because it's just not funny to me.

Hopefully since Sanderson is set on making her a main character in the Stormlight Archive and is somehow one of his favorite characters to write, I hope she sees some serious character growth and not
Mike
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damn it feels good to be back in the Cosmere and this novella was the perfect appetizer for the soon to be released (except for all you lucky SOBs who got an advanced copy) Oathbringer. Don't want to spoil much of the story so I will keep my comments general, just know this story is every bit as deep and nuanced as his other works even if it is orders of magnitude shorter than WoK and WoR.

This story revolves around Lift, an interlude character from Words of Radiance. She is a young, impulsive, h
Liam Degnan
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took me awhile to get to this, but I finally did, and of course I loved it. Although... they REALLY need to do something about this cover:

That's a pretty awful cover. Or illustration. Or whatever the crap that is. I don't know why that's what comes up on Goodreads.

This is a much better idea of how I picture Lift.

*Sigh*. Patiently waiting for Oathbringer. That, at least, already has a fantastic cover.
Levi Walls
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story, and Her Great Pancakefulness Lift and her street urchin humor. Also, Wyndle is a gnarly little spren. That is all.
Eric
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
3 Stars

So that was…different. Edgedancer basically takes the Interlude with Lift from Words of Radiance and expands it into a novella. There was some interesting developments for the broader Stormlight Archive series and a glimpse into a different part of Roshar, but ultimately the novella fell a little flat for me.

The main problem for me was the main character herself. I understand that she is young and immature (and actually think that Sanderson did a great job writing her character in a way
Holly
I'm not entirely sure this novella (though not at novella length) book was entirely needed but I'll try to trust Sanderson on this one. Lift is a character we briefly saw previously and for a moment I thought I had already read this book somehow and had just forgotten. But it seems the 'prologue' was just a repeat of the part from the previous book, and then the rest of the chapters were actually new. Lift's conversations with her spren, Wyndle, are very amusing and made the book for me. But unf ...more
may ❀
call me old fashion but i was raised to wake up early every morning and make a fresh batch of pancakes for my kid

basically, i want to adopt her pancakefulness, Lift 🥺

Jenny Baker
sofia (sam willows)
this was fun? and also weird? i’m not sure what i read but i’m glad i did
Chris
So why the delay? Well, I'm a bit OCD and when I received Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection, I wasn't quite ready to jump into the Mistborn and other stuff. The idea of reading a single story from the entire book made my eye twitch a bit.

But then I found out that it would be a good idea to read this before Oathbringer, and since I'm starting that very soon, decided to just go with it.

Great story! Lift is a fun character and this was a good comic side story in the Stormlight Archive. That

• The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • The Trouble with Peace (The Age of Madness, #2)
  • Words of Radiance: The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson -- Sidekick
  • The Black Prism (Lightbringer, #1)
  • The Blinding Knife (Lightbringer, #2)
  • Fool Moon (The Dresden Files, #2)
  • The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4)
  • The Broken Eye (Lightbringer, #3)
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

The Stormlight Archive (10 books)
  • The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #5)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #6)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #7)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #8)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #9)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #10)