Start by marking “Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)

Edgedancer

(The Stormlight Archive #2.5)

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  70,596 ratings  ·  4,630 reviews

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, a special gift edition of Edgedancer, a short novel of the Stormlight Archive.

Three years ago, Lift asked a goddess to stop her from growing older--a wish she believed was granted. Now, in Edgedancer, the barely teenage nascent Knight Radiant finds that time stands still for no one. Although the young Azish e

Published October 17th 2017 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about Edgedancer, please sign up.
Tianna Yes, definitely. Brandon started writing Oathbringer and realized that there were two character developments that needed to happen first. So he wrote …moreYes, definitely. Brandon started writing Oathbringer and realized that there were two character developments that needed to happen first. So he wrote Edgedancer to fulfill that. He talks about it at the end of the book. (But don’t read that until you finish Edgedancer. Spoilers and all.)(less)
Justin Ottinger I would not say that it is absolutely necessary, although I would like to point out that I went from not really caring about Lift to actually liking h…moreI would not say that it is absolutely necessary, although I would like to point out that I went from not really caring about Lift to actually liking her after reading this book. Lift and (SPOILER!) Nale (/SPOILER!) both go through some important character development in this book, and are featured more prominently in the main plotline of the series starting with Oathbringer. As long as you're fine with missing out on that, feel free to skip Edgedancer or save it until after Oatbringer. It also makes one of Oathbringer's interludes make quite a bit more sense--but then again, that interlude is pretty mysterious even after you read Edgedancer. To say more would be a spoiler.(less)

·  70,596 ratings  ·  4,630 reviews

Start your review of Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)
Samir
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story but didn't like Lift so much. She reminds me of Dee Dee from Dexter's Laboratory. Now imagine Dee Dee singing "Everything is Awesome" from the "Lego Movie" and try not to be annoyed. ...more
James Tivendale
Nov 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
A pretty awesome novella that fits in nicely between Words of Radiance and Oathbringer. Lift is a really neat, kooky character and Wyndle is a very cool spren companion. It's a 40,000 words tale that gives some more quality screen time to Darkness and Szeth. A nice bitesize Stormlight Archive story that doesn't take too long to read at all. ...more
Petrik
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mini Review (I read this in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection)

Lift approaching the city of Yeddaw (This is an example of the kind of illustration that appeared in Arcanum Unbounded for each story.)

According to Khriss’s annotation, Roshar from The Stormlight Archive series is the most majestic planet and probably the most important System to the Cosmere universe. Out of all worlds that Sanderson has created until now, Roshar and Scadrial have always been my favorite worlds to visit and to
Scott  Hitchcock
Finished up my re-read in prep for Oathbringer. While still a good book which offered us lots of hints about events, heralds, the cosmere, the radiants...............

But, and there's always a but, I simply can only take Lift in small doses. The first time through I read this as part of Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection I thought perhaps it was just a big of Sanderson burnout reading that much of him in one sitting and also finishing off MB Era 2 about the same time.

This time it confirme
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
I have the hardback I got for a $1 in a library sale! But, I listened to the audio and I loved the narrator. It was such fun!

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
Choko
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.75 ***

And now for the crown jewel of this collection, the never before published Stormlight Archive novella, “Edgedancer”. It takes place right after the second book in the series, "Words of Radiance". lift, our "Awesome" thief is the main protagonist here and this is one of the reasons I was not looking forward to reading it. Not because of anything else, but I was not a fan of Lift's character. Although I know she is young and the author is giving her plenty of place to grow, and I mean
Robin (Bridge Four)
description

I loved Lift in the interlude of Words of Radiance (WoR). Her character and story was one that interested me a lot. She is so different than anyone else that we have yet seen with a spren. In fact she doesn’t even acknowledge that her spren is in fact a spren, instead she calls him a Voidbringer all the time. I find her irreverence and childishness sort of refreshing.

So after coming into some of her power in WoR she has lived in the palace with her good friend Gawx but apparently it is time to
John Mauro
Dec 27, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"But you," the thing said, "did not come here for a contest, did you? We watch the others. The assassin. The surgeon. The liar. The highprince. But not you. The others all ignore you...and that, I hazard to predict, is a mistake."

"Edgedancer" tells the story of Lift, a 12-ish year old girl who is, perhaps, the youngest Knight Radiant and who has the special ability to metabolize food as Stormlight. As a result, she is constantly hungry. She is bonded to Wyndle, a cultivationspren who gives Lift
Gavin
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This Stormlight novella focused on Lift, who we met in the interludes of the main books. It was both a strength and a weakness because while Lift is an interesting character, and one with unique gifts, she also has the tendency to be a bit annoying. I think I prefer my Lift in small doses!

Feeling stifled in the Bronze Palace of Azir, where her friend Gawx rules, she flees the place and goes for a bit of sightseeing. Along for the journey is her long-suffering "Voidbringer" companion Wyndle.

The
Luna. ✨
This book! O.M.G.
My prayers have been answered and I have been given the most relatable character ever.. A 12 year old girl?! So I guess what they say about my maturity levels are true, but anyway.... It was also about food and I love food and think about it 24/7, I had approximately 15 snacks while reading this due to the delicious wine hamper picture at the start of every chapter.

*turns on awesomeness*

More detailed RTC

Recommended to all fans of Sanderson. You do need to read his other
Melanie
Readalong for the BooktubeSFF Awards which is being hosted by Adriana from Perpetual Pages, Chelsea from TheReadingOutlaw, Samantha from Novels and Nonsense, Connor from Connor O'Brien, Elizabeth from Books and Pieces, Kaitlin from Kitty G, Sam from Thoughts on Tomes, Elena from Elena Reads Books, and Thomas from SFF180!

First and foremost, I haven't read The Way of Kings or Words of Radiance, and I know this had some spoilers for me and I'm a horrible person, but I really needed to read this
Lia Carstairs
"I will remember those who have been forgotten."

okay i honestly love Lift. like yes she was definitely annoying at times especially during the beginning of the novella but the character development she went through is awesome and she has such a big heart, it's so sweet🥺 (view spoiler)

Wyndle and Lift's convos were
Matt's Fantasy Book Reviews
While interesting to read the backstory of one of the main characters, it ultimately falls flat

This book serves as a primer to reading Oathbringer, and is billed as being essential reading. While I do agree that it's useful information if you are really into the Stormlight Chronicles, this book is not nearly the quality of most of Sanderson's other works.

For me, Sanderson thrives when writing long books. It gives him time to set things up for interesting reveals. Sanderson is one of the best "pl
Deborah Obida
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adult

I will remember those who have been forgotten.
I will listen to those who have been ignored!”

I know I was supposed to read this before Oathbringer but things don't always go according to plans.

This book is everything I thought and wanted it to be and storming more. I even love Lift more than I did before, The world building,writing, plot is amazing, its BS so am not surprised.

Wyndle is so different from the other Sprens that bonded with Radiants, he is so whinny, he complains about everythin
Blake the Book Eater
Oct 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing

I. Love. Lift. (Also Wyndle.)

This book (novella) really fleshes out Lift so much. She popped in for a short (kind of novella?) in Words of Radiance and now she’s given her time to shine. This is also VERY important for certain...character changes...in certain characters...before Oathbringer, buuuuuut to get into that would be way too spoilery.

This follows Lift as she travels to the city Yeddaw in Tashikk. She’s there for a reason...and that reason is food. I love that
Aoife - Bookish_Babbling
Sando unsurpisingly cleverly packs a lot into this novella. Taking us and his characters on quite the journey of discovery. Not only to a new & frankly ingeniously descriptive land unlike any other encountered so far but also an incredibly inventive journey of self-discovery for Lift & Wyndle who play so well off one another and the characters they meet along the way as to bring a levity to what is a contrastingly darker setting than the tone of the dialogue implies - Sando is so damn good at th ...more
J.L.   Sutton
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
“She stuck her tongue out at him. A totally rational and reasonable way to fight a demigod.”

Lift the Edgedancer by Paul Canavan : Stormlight_Archive

“The world ends tomorrow, but the day after that, people are going to ask what’s for breakfast.”

Brandon's Sanderson's Edgedancer (Stormlight Archive #2.5) is more lighthearted and fun (and a much thinner volume) than the other installments in the series. I'd reread the first three books of The Stormlight Archive before going back to read Edgedancer. Even though I should have read it after the Words of Ra
Steven
Reread September 2020
---
While Lift's style of speech and constant "food food food" talk is a little grating on my nerves, overall her character is a great one. I love the Edgedancer ideals, and the surge of Growth/Regrowth is really cool. The Slick thing is neat, but doesn't pique my interest as much. Wyndle is really adorable to me, a reluctant hero.

We see some growth (no pun intended) in both Lift and Wyndle in this one, along with her nemesis Darkness, and we get to meet another Surgebinder (
Justin
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Fired up the Oathbringer audiobook on Friday, fully prepared to embark on a 55 hour journey back to the Shattered Plains. I hit the Play button, and the first thing that hits my ears is the Author’s Note, which I almost skipped because, I mean, who cares, right?

Sanderson says something about how he has all these people to thank and how he’s not the only person responsible for the book and he’s so humble and whatever who cares, but then...

Then, he strongly recommends stopping and reading his nove
Sofia
Dec 28, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: short-stories
Edgedancer is the story of a street urchin named Lift who likes food. A lot. She loves food even more than I do, which is saying something. Her journey as an Edgedancer is unique to the Stormlight Archive because of her circumstances. She's not a noble warrior or an honor-bound prince. She just wants to eat food and slide around using her awesomeness.

I loved reading from her point of view. On the outside, she appears to be very flippant about the whole Radiant thing, but she actually cares a lo
Alex Nieves
Oct 17, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Full video review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNzD7...

Well, that was a book. Personally for me I just cannot get down with Lift as a character. She's not funny, I don't find her silly antics I'm using, I don't care about how many pancakes she wants to eat because it's just not funny to me.

Hopefully since Sanderson is set on making her a main character in the Stormlight Archive and is somehow one of his favorite characters to write, I hope she sees some serious character growth and not
Valliya Rennell

This Stormlight novella follows Lift as she enters the city of Yeddaw in pursuit of Nale, whom she calls Darkness. Although this novella does bring character development to Nale, Lift, and surprisingly Szeth (?), I must admit that I was bored most of the time.

As much as I enjoy Lift in the Interludes in the main books, I think this is evidence for the fact that I just wouldn't enjoy a fully Lift-centric novel. My main issues with the book were just the pacing and an incomprehensible-ish
Khurram
Dec 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All figured out

I think thus is a bit of a double edged sword as I got this book as a kind of introduction in to Stormlight Archives. In that I got what I what I wanted but because the is book 2.5 I know I am missing a lot of history.

A good book (from the acknowledgments page) was made to fill in the gaps between books 2 and 3. So if anyone did notice a big change on a character in book 3, they will probobly find the answer here.

I like Lift's character. I like the leaf in the wind approach she ta
Jonathan O'Neill
Sep 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modern-fantasy
3.5 ⭐

Sanderson really “engages [his] awesomeness” in this fun little novella. He achieves his goal in displaying a number of character-defining moments that otherwise would’ve happened offscreen between ‘WOR’ and ‘Oathbringer’ while offering up some heartfelt and reasonably funny moments along the way. Iso got you down? This stormin’ book might just be the Lift you need!... Let go of me! I’ll see myself out.

‘Edgedancer’ showcases Lift, a budding young radiant that had her own relatively lengt
Choko
Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as the audio goes, as always, the Graphic Audio Productions are Awesome!

Lift is still the most annoying character Sanderson has ever written though... Still, the information for the series is important and it is still Sanderson - he can make even a very annoying character a part of a very good story. I recommend the Audio for re-reads of big and biffy books like this series tends to have, because it is better to get everything and you just can't get it on one read. The Audio is a grate ad
ℨαrα
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: ★★★☆☆¾

I like Lift as a character, but she’s got a very distinctive, powerful and somewhat flamboyant personality to say the least. So reading for her for an extended period of time can be just a liiittle much. On the other hand, I usually don’t enjoy novellas all that much, but this one was interesting, and I can’t wait to see how one character in particular plays a role in Oathbringer.

———————————

Someone please stop me from getting through this series faster than the characters do Storm
Michael
Jan 25, 2022 rated it liked it
I'm giving this 3-stars.

Many people are saying that you should read this story between reading Words of Radiance and Oathbringer. I would tend towards saying that you "CAN" but that you don't have to. I have read those two books and I encountered no reason to read this between them spoiler-wise.

Basically, this is a story about Lift; young and immature in her 'Awesomeness'. I found this to be a fairly light-hearted story and had a few little chuckles at Lift's child-like outlook on the world. Bu
Thomas J. Benedict
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
(Edit) Potential Cosmere connection:
I think Roial from Elantris might be Wyndle, Lift’s spren from the Stormlight Archive series. Sanderson put effort into highlighting the fact both characters love to garden, which seems unique to only Roial and Wyndle within the Cosmere books I’ve read so far.

———
I will cry the day Brandon Sanderson dies.

The Stormlight Archive series is at the cutting edge of fantasy, is monumental and will be remembered for years. By the time the last book comes out, I predict
Lee
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took me awhile to get to this, but I finally did, and of course I loved it. Although... they REALLY need to do something about this cover:

That's a pretty awful cover. Or illustration. Or whatever the crap that is. I don't know why that's what comes up on Goodreads.

This is a much better idea of how I picture Lift.

*Sigh*. Patiently waiting for Oathbringer. That, at least, already has a fantastic cover.
Mike
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damn it feels good to be back in the Cosmere and this novella was the perfect appetizer for the soon to be released (except for all you lucky SOBs who got an advanced copy) Oathbringer. Don't want to spoil much of the story so I will keep my comments general, just know this story is every bit as deep and nuanced as his other works even if it is orders of magnitude shorter than WoK and WoR.

This story revolves around Lift, an interlude character from Words of Radiance. She is a young, impulsive, h

• The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, #2)
  • Before They Are Hanged (The First Law, #2)
  • The Dragon Reborn (The Wheel of Time, #3)
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
  • The Eye of the World (The Wheel of Time, #1)
  • Words of Radiance: The Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson -- Sidekick
  • Last Argument of Kings (The First Law, #3)
  • The Shadow Rising (The Wheel of Time, #4)
  • The Fires of Heaven (The Wheel of Time, #5)
  • Jade City (The Green Bone Saga, #1)
  • The Shadow of the Gods (The Bloodsworn Saga, #1)
  • The Wise Man's Fear (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #2)
  • Breach of Peace (Lawful Times, #1)
  • Lord of Chaos (The Wheel of Time, #6)
  • Jade War (The Green Bone Saga, #2)
  • The Gathering Storm (The Wheel of Time, #12)
  • A Crown of Swords (The Wheel of Time, #7)
  • Towers of Midnight (The Wheel of Time, #13)
See top shelves…
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s S

The Stormlight Archive (10 books)
  • The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #5)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #6)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #7)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #8)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #9)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #10)