Start by marking “Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)

Edgedancer

(The Stormlight Archive #2.5)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  27,142 ratings  ·  1,803 reviews
From #1 New York Times bestselling author Brandon Sanderson, a special gift edition of Edgedancer, a short novel of the Stormlight Archive (previously published in Arcanum Unbounded).

Three years ago, Lift asked a goddess to stop her from growing older--a wish she believed was granted. Now, in Edgedancer, the barely teenage nascent Knight Radiant finds that time stands still for no one. Although the youn#1
Published October 17th 2017 by Tor Books (first published November 22nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Edgedancer, please sign up.
Tianna Yes, definitely. Brandon started writing Oathbringer and realized that there were two character developments that needed to happen first. So he wrote…moreYes, definitely. Brandon started writing Oathbringer and realized that there were two character developments that needed to happen first. So he wrote Edgedancer to fulfill that. He talks about it at the end of the book. (But don’t read that until you finish Edgedancer. Spoilers and all.)(less)
Amanda I read Oathbringer first. While not having read Edgedancer did not hinder my enjoyment of Book 3, I would recommend reading Edgedancer first. It…moreI read Oathbringer first. While not having read Edgedancer did not hinder my enjoyment of Book 3, I would recommend reading Edgedancer first. It contains information that is helpful to know (specifically in one of the battles); not just about Lift, but Darkness as well.(less)

·  27,142 ratings  ·  1,803 reviews

Start your review of Edgedancer (The Stormlight Archive, #2.5)
Samir
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the story but didn't like Lift so much. She reminds me of Dee Dee from Dexter's Laboratory. Now imagine Dee Dee singing "Everything is Awesome" from the "Lego Movie" and try not to be annoyed.
Petrik
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Mini Review (I read this in Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection)

Lift approaching the city of Yeddaw (This is an example of the kind of illustration that appeared in Arcanum Unbounded for each story.)

According to Khriss’s annotation, Roshar from The Stormlight Archive series is the most majestic planet and probably the most important System to the Cosmere universe. Out of all worlds that SanderCollection)
Lift
James Tivendale
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Lift was awesome and this novella was perfect for getting me back into Sanderson's Stormlight Archive world before Oathbringer x
Choko
Nov 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
*** 4.75 ***

And now for the crown jewel of this collection, the never before published Stormlight Archive novella, “Edgedancer”. It takes place right after the second book in the series, "Words of Radiance". lift, our "Awesome" thief is the main protagonist here and this is one of the reasons I was not looking forward to reading it. Not because of anything else, but I was not a fan of Lift's character. Although I know she is young and the author is giving her plenty of place to grow, and I mean miles and miles of space to gro
Scott  Hitchcock
Finished up my re-read in prep for Oathbringer. While still a good book which offered us lots of hints about events, heralds, the cosmere, the radiants...............

But, and there's always a but, I simply can only take Lift in small doses. The first time through I read this as part of Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection I thought perhaps it was just a big of Sanderson burnout reading that much of him in one sitting and also finishing off MB Era 2 about the same time.

This time it confirmed it. Near
Gavin
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This Stormlight novella focused on Lift, who we met in the interludes of the main books. It was both a strength and a weakness because while Lift is an interesting character, and one with unique gifts, she also has the tendency to be a bit annoying. I think I prefer my Lift in small doses!

Feeling stifled in the Bronze Palace of Azir, where her friend Gawx rules, she flees the place and goes for a bit of sightseeing. Along for the journey is her long-suffering "Voidbringer" companion
☽Luna☾
This book! O.M.G.
My prayers have been answered and I have been given the most relatable character ever.. A 12 year old girl?! So I guess what they say about my maturity levels are true, but anyway.... It was also about food and I love food and think about it 24/7, I had approximately 15 snacks while reading this due to the delicious wine hamper picture at the start of every chapter.

*turns on awesomeness*

More detailed RTC

Recommended to all fans of Sanderson. You do need to read his other books b/>
Melanie
Readalong for the BooktubeSFF Awards which is being hosted by Adriana from Perpetual Pages, Chelsea from TheReadingOutlaw, Samantha from Novels and Nonsense, Connor from Connor O'Brien, Elizabeth from Books and Pieces, Kaitlin from Kitty G, Sam from Thoughts on Tomes, Elena from Elena Reads Books, and Thomas from SFF180!

First and foremost, I haven't read The Way of Kings or Words of Radiance, and I know this had some spoilers for me and I'm a horrible person, but I really needed to read this for the BooktubeSFF Awards. Plus, after reading I don't really think it had that many spoilers. Like, I know there is obviously a resolution that happened
Deborah Obida
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, fantasy

I will remember those who have been forgotten.
I will listen to those who have been ignored!”

I know I was supposed to read this before Oathbringer but things don't always go according to plans.

This book is everything I thought and wanted it to be and storming more. I even love Lift more than I did before, The world building,writing, plot is amazing, its BS so am not surprised.

Wyndle is so different from the other Sprens that bonded with Radiants, he is so whinny, he complains about everything, h
Robin (Bridge Four)
description

I loved Lift in the interlude of Words of Radiance (WoR). Her character and story was one that interested me a lot. She is so different than anyone else that we have yet seen with a spren. In fact she doesn’t even acknowledge that her spren is in fact a spren, instead she calls him a Voidbringer all the time. I find her irreverence and childishness sort of refreshing.

So after coming into some of her power in WoR she has lived in the palace with her good friend Gawx but apparently it is time to
ℨαrα
Oct 28, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rating: ★★★☆☆

I like Lift as a character, but she’s got a very distinctive, powerful and somewhat flamboyant personality to say the least. So reading for her for an extended period of time can be just a liiittle much. On the other hand, I usually don’t enjoy novellas all that much, but this one was interesting, and I can’t wait to see how one character in particular plays a role in Oathbringer.

———————————

Someone please stop me from getting through this series faster than the characte
Thomas J. Benedict
Feb 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
(Edit) Potential Cosmere connection:
I think Roial from Elantris might be Wyndle, Lift’s spren from the Stormlight Archive series. Sanderson put effort into highlighting the fact both characters love to garden, which seems unique to only Roial and Wyndle within the Cosmere books I’ve read so far.

———
I will cry the day Brandon Sanderson dies.

The Stormlight Archive series is at the cutting edge of fantasy, is monumental and will be remembered for years. By the time the last book comes out, I predict the Storml
Mike
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Damn it feels good to be back in the Cosmere and this novella was the perfect appetizer for the soon to be released (except for all you lucky SOBs who got an advanced copy) Oathbringer. Don't want to spoil much of the story so I will keep my comments general, just know this story is every bit as deep and nuanced as his other works even if it is orders of magnitude shorter than WoK and WoR.

This story revolves around Lift, an interlude character from Words of Radiance. She is a young, impulsive, hungry surgebinde
Liam Degnan
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Took me awhile to get to this, but I finally did, and of course I loved it. Although... they REALLY need to do something about this cover:

That's a pretty awful cover. Or illustration. Or whatever the crap that is. I don't know why that's what comes up on Goodreads.

This is a much better idea of how I picture Lift.

*Sigh*. Patiently waiting for Oathbringer. That, at least, already has a fantastic cover.
Levi Walls
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the story, and Her Great Pancakefulness Lift and her street urchin humor. Also, Wyndle is a gnarly little spren. That is all.
Holly
I'm not entirely sure this novella (though not at novella length) book was entirely needed but I'll try to trust Sanderson on this one. Lift is a character we briefly saw previously and for a moment I thought I had already read this book somehow and had just forgotten. But it seems the 'prologue' was just a repeat of the part from the previous book, and then the rest of the chapters were actually new. Lift's conversations with her spren, Wyndle, are very amusing and made the book for me. But unf ...more
Chris
So why the delay? Well, I'm a bit OCD and when I received Arcanum Unbounded: The Cosmere Collection, I wasn't quite ready to jump into the Mistborn and other stuff. The idea of reading a single story from the entire book made my eye twitch a bit.

But then I found out that it would be a good idea to read this before Oathbringer, and since I'm starting that very soon, decided to just go with it.

Great story! Lift is a fun character and this was a good comic side story in the Stormlight Archive. Tha
sofia (sam willows)
this was fun? and also weird? i’m not sure what i read but i’m glad i did
MoonWyvern
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“I want control,” she said, opening her eyes. “Not like a king or anything. I just want to be able to control it, a little. My life. I don’t want to get shoved around, by people or by fate or whatever. I just ... I want it to be me who chooses.”

This book was a short and fun read. Since it’s by Brandon Sanderson, it will obviously receive five stars.

From another review, I heard that Edgedancer was necessary to read before Oathbringer. Is this an excuse to buy another book? You’ve caught me red h
Eric
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
3 Stars

So that was…different. Edgedancer basically takes the Interlude with Lift from Words of Radiance and expands it into a novella. There was some interesting developments for the broader Stormlight Archive series and a glimpse into a different part of Roshar, but ultimately the novella fell a little flat for me.

The main problem for me was the main character herself. I understand that she is young and immature (and actually think that Sanderson did a great job writing her charact
Mary-ellen
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is book 2.5 in Brandon Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive series.

The book focuses on Lift, a plucky young girl who features briefly in Words of Radiance. The only problem is the material from WoR is repeated here, but this wasn’t signposted very well. So, when I started reading, I instantly thought I’ve read this before and nearly didn’t continue with it. But after searching around, I discovered only the prologue is repeated material (around a fifth of the book).

As a fan of this se
Steven
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2017
While Lift's style of speech and constant "food food food" talk is a little grating on my nerves, overall her character is a great one. I love the Edgedancer ideals, and the surge of Growth/Regrowth is really cool. The Slick thing is neat, but doesn't pique my interest as much. Wyndle is really adorable to me, a reluctant hero.

We see some growth (no pun intended) in both Lift and Wyndle in this one, along with her nemesis Darkness, and we get to meet another Surgebinder (who shares a
Annye
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I somehow completely missed Edgedancer when it first came out. I even bought my husband Arcanum Unbounded, where it was first published! But I’m not generally a fan of short stories, so I planned to read it when I was bored or really needed a Sanderson fix.

But then I started reading Oathbringer. In the introduction for that book Sanderson explicitly states that it is best read having already enjoyed Edgedancer. I trust him, of course, but I was way too hyped for Oathbringer to put it down and read a short story I wasn’t particularly interested in.

But then I got
Quintin Zimmermann
Sep 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Oooookay, save for the final confrontation and setup for the forthcoming Oathbeaker, I didn't really enjoy Edgedancer, in particular the character of Lift. Sorry!

Lift's nescient pursuit of pancakes and Darkness (Herald Nale) across Yeddaw just didn't grab me. Please dial back the snarkness factor and she literally uses the words awesome (and awesomeness) in excess of 50 occasions, like... enough already.

It is only after Lift looks within herself with some degree of introspection that we get to
Holden Johnson
Amazing. Just makes me salivate for Oathbringer even more unfortunately =(
Audrey
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
from my review of Arcanum Unbounded: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

This is a story of Lift, a character introduced in one of the Interludes of Words of Radiance. (She reminds me of Dido in Joan Aiken’s Wolves Chronicles.) I believe it bridges WofR and Oathbringer. With this story, we see other parts of Roshar but the same fascinating magic and storms. It starts off light but gradually gets serious.
Tommye Turner
Oct 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-read
I was told to read this before reading Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive #3) so I picked up Arcanum Unbounded and jumped to the final 'short' story.

Lift is a wonderful character. I remember her POV standing out in the Interludes of Words of Radiance. Lift is going to be important in the future books of The Stormlight Archive (this information is from Sanderson's Postscript in the book) and I look forward to that.

As a whole, this story was typical Sanderson. There were a few
daisy
Nov 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
4.5 stars, I think! The final third of the story was definitely my fave, it took me a bit to get into it at the beginning. There were some really interesting characters introduced and explored further - this is definitely a must-read before moving on to Oathbringer, so... Glad I read it! (view spoiler)

I'M FINALLY STARTING OATHBRINGER, YEE/>I'M
Abram
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
My Rating: 4.2/5

Oooh, This one is good.
I am reading Edgedancer in the Arcanum unbounded collection, actually. I am reading everyone of them separately, So I'm gonna review them separately too.

Lift is fantastic. She is really really growing on me. I love the conversations she has with her spren windyl, a lot. I actually loved the way Mr. Sanderson connected a lot of loose ends using this novella. I felt goosebumps when Szeth appeared. I also liked the way he continued the
Maciel
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5/5
Only because it was a short story and I didn't want it to end.
A good good gooood short story, though.
Loved to discover that Lift Is one of Brandon Sanderson's favorite characters too <3
And that he has something BIG planned for her.
I adored her since her first appearance!
So more Lift????
Hell Yeah!!!!
Use's for spren as tools 1 12 Apr 16, 2018 07:46AM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Edgedancer by Brandon Sanderson - Starting October 10th, 2017 21 19 Oct 17, 2017 03:26AM

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Servant of the Crown (Powder Mage, #0.2)
  • The Viscount and the Witch (Riyria Chronicles, #1.5)
  • The Widow's House (The Dagger and the Coin, #4)
  • Penric and the Shaman (Penric and Desdemona, #2)
  • City of Miracles (The Divine Cities, #3)
  • The Heart of What Was Lost (The Last King of Osten Ard, #0.5)
  • Arm of the Sphinx (The Books of Babel, #2)
  • War and XPs (The Order of the Stick, #3)
  • Forging Hephaestus
  • An Echo of Things to Come (The Licanius Trilogy, #2)
Brandon’s major books for the second half of 2016 are The Dark Talent, the final volume in Alcatraz Smedry’s autobiographical account of his battle against the Evil Librarians who secretly rule our world, and Arcanum Unbounded, the collection of short fiction in the Cosmere universe that includes the Mistborn series and the Stormlight
Archive, among others. This collection features The Emperor’s Soul, Mistborn: Secret

The Stormlight Archive (10 books)
  • The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
  • Words of Radiance (The Stormlight Archive, #2)
  • Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
  • The Rhythm of War (The Stormlight Archive, #4)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #5)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #6)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #7)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #8)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #9)
  • Untitled (The Stormlight Archive, #10)
“The world ends tomorrow, but the day after that, people are going to ask what’s for breakfast.” 13 likes
“It is strange,” the man said. “People get such a small amount of time. So many I’ve known say it—as soon as you feel you’re getting a handle on things, the day is done, the night falls, and the light goes out.” 6 likes