Reading List Completists discussion

Go Tell It on the Mountain
This topic is about Go Tell It on the Mountain
Group Reads > Go Tell It On The Mountain by James Baldwin

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Matthew (funkygman007) | 1709 comments Mod
Feel free to discuss Go Tell It on the Mountain here!

message 2: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

For those interested - here is the page count. I am using the first count that comes up when you list all the editions:

Go Tell It on the Mountain by James Baldwin - 256 pages

message 3: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Starts today!

Eileen | 146 comments I took a break from the Virginia Woolf book to start this one and this is already soooooooo much better!

message 5: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Should start this one mid week

Eileen | 146 comments It's dark and serious, but it's good. It explores issues of racism, religion, sexuality, fathers and sons, and husbands and wives. A very meaty book for such a short book!

message 7: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin | 22 comments I read this one last year (in the new German translation) and found it very compelling. Especially the section where something like an intense religious experience or outburst is told is really compelling. Five stars for me.

message 8: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Made it through the first three books for this month! Starting this one today!

message 9: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Here is my review. I liked it okay, wish I could have felt the things I liked about it tied together into a more enjoyable experience overall:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Marlise (mawz76) | 40 comments I felt that the last dozen or so pages of this were pretty stellar. I'm an atheist so the subject matter wasn't really something I found especially compelling personally but there were some other things I enjoyed about the story. I liked getting the perspective of the different characters. And as always Baldwin wrote so beautifully.

Bottom line: I'm glad I read it, but probably won't read it again.

message 11: by Matthew, Assistant List Master (new) - rated it 3 stars

Marlise wrote: "I felt that the last dozen or so pages of this were pretty stellar. I'm an atheist so the subject matter wasn't really something I found especially compelling personally but there were some other t..."

I did some follow up on this book right after I read it and it sounded to me like the point of this was to criticize the church a bit, so maybe not surprising you enjoyed it okay being an atheist.

And, yet another reason I love Goodreads. We have had some great book conversations on here. I am a Christian, you are an atheist, and that is just fine by me! 😁 (And, yes, I know all Christians are not that way - which is sad and disappointing to me!)

Marlise (mawz76) | 40 comments I appreciate that Matthew! I was raised in a Christian family that taught me tolerance and to treat others as we want to be treated. I just never found the faith that they have. And that's okay. I think a few religious people tend to think atheists can't have a moral compass without belief and that's just not true. I always try to respect people's beliefs and differences... It's what makes the world so interesting.