Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive, #3)
This topic is about Oathbringer
Buddy Reads (Just Read It!) > Oathbringer Buddy Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
This is Book #3 of The Stormlight Archive.

It is divided into 5 parts plus a Prologue and an Epilogue.
Prologue pp. 1-27 (26pp)
Part One pp. 27-327 (300pp)
Interludes pp. 327-343 (16pp)
Part Two pp. 343-555 (212pp)
Interludes pp. 555-579 (24pp)
Part Three pp. 579-829 (250pp)
Interludes pp. 829-847 (18pp)
Part Four pp. 847-1055 (208pp)
Interludes pp. 1055-1071 (16pp)
Part Five pp. 1071-1229 (158pp)
Epilogue/Endnote/Ars Arcanum pp. 1229-1242 (13pp)

How would you like to divide this up for weekly reading?

message 2: by Bea (last edited Jan 24, 2020 03:30AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
If we did 5 weeks...
Start Feb 1: prologue + Part I = longest read at 326p
Feb. 8: Interludes + Part II = 228p
Feb. 15: Interludes + Part III = 274p
Feb. 22: Interludes + Part IV = 226p
Feb. 29: Interludes + Part V + Epilogue et al. = 187p

Any thoughts...please?

message 3: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Participants:

Bea
Coralie
Lusie

message 4: by Lusie (last edited Jan 23, 2020 03:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments Thanks for making the thread, Bea!

The schedule works for me :) Knowing me I will probably get caught up in the story and read ahead of schedule. Happend with the first two books as well. I just can't help myself lol

When shall we start? 1st February?

Coralie | 1590 comments That sounds fine by me. I will need to ask the library to get a copy from one of the other branches and get my new hip (I had a replacement hip last week) up to walking that far carrying an enormous book but a week should accomplish both those.

message 6: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Coralie wrote: "That sounds fine by me. I will need to ask the library to get a copy from one of the other branches and get my new hip (I had a replacement hip last week) up to walking that far carrying an enormou..."

Hope you do as well as I did. I have had both hips replaced - about 10 years ago.

message 7: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
I added starting dates for each week to the reading schedule in post #2 above. Looking forward to this!

message 8: by Lusie (last edited Feb 05, 2020 10:28AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments The schedule looks good to me. Thanks Bea!

I hope your recovery goes well, Coralie.

Coralie | 1590 comments The schedule looks fine.

So far my recovery is going really well. After only nine days post surgery I am already walking around the house unaided! Yesterday I managed the walk to the library (with crutches) and back but I only had a couple of small books to carry.

message 10: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Get ready...set...go read! Prologue + Part I. BTW, my copy starts on page 19...so even the book is helping us to get this first part done!

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments Bea, funny that the book starts on page 19!

I haven't started yet. I've just finished the book I was still reading so will probably start reading tonight.

Coralie | 1590 comments I have read the first few chapters and feel that I could really do with a list of characters to remind me who all these people are.

Coralie | 1590 comments Thank you Lusie. It did help.

message 15: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Lusie wrote: "maybe this page helps? https://www.tor.com/2017/08/15/storml..."

Thanks, Lusie. This was helpful. I did find that I began to recall events and nod to myself as I started reading, although I must admit to sharing Coralie's response. I mean it has been almost 2 years since I last read one of these books!

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments You are welcome!

I hope to be able to start reading today. I read book 1 and 2 at the same time as you, Bea. So I imagine I'll not recall everything either.

message 17: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Lusie wrote: "You are welcome!

I hope to be able to start reading today. I read book 1 and 2 at the same time as you, Bea. So I imagine I'll not recall everything either."

Lusie, there are reminders in the text so that, for me, the recall did start.

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments that's good!

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments I like the book so far!

btw I discovered that Oathbringer is listed 14 times as speculative fiction. So if we can finish it this month we can use it for the february shelf :)

message 20: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Lusie wrote: "I like the book so far!

btw I discovered that Oathbringer is listed 14 times as speculative fiction. So if we can finish it this month we can use it for the february shelf :)"

Nice!

I also am enjoying this book. Usually such big books take a bit for me to get into them, but not this one.

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments I'm glad to hear that, Bea.
It surprised me how easy it was to get back into the series. I'm already at chapter 27 and am surprised how fast I'm reading.

message 22: by Bea (last edited Feb 05, 2020 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Lusie wrote: "I'm glad to hear that, Bea.
It surprised me how easy it was to get back into the series. I'm already at chapter 27 and am surprised how fast I'm reading."

You are ahead of me...I will be at 24 when I finish today's reading. (I do have a total of 3 books over 800 pages going...two for Buddy Reads!)

message 23: by Lusie (last edited Feb 05, 2020 07:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments I'll probably finish part 1 tonight. I'm only reading 1 book at a time. Though will probably start another so I won't go too far ahead of schedule.

You are very busy Bea!

message 24: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Lusie, I had planned it out to read x number of pages a day throughout the 7 days partly due to the fact that, when I started reading, I had 5 other books in progress...and one was an 800+ page book that I had started 12/1/19.

I have now completed 3 of those 5 and am close to completing another (the 800+ one) BUT I have started a buddy read with Marina for this prompt also.

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments Sounds like you are making a lot of progress, Bea. I don't plan how many pages I read.

message 26: by Lusie (last edited Feb 05, 2020 10:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments I have read the Prologue + Part I

(view spoiler)

I enjoyed this a lot and can't wait to read more. I'm tempted to read ahead of schedule...especially after the cliffhanger at the end of the last chapter of part 1

message 27: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
(view spoiler)

I have 76 pages to go to finish Part I, Lusie. Coralie, how are you doing?

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments Bea you are not supposed to read the spoiler until you've read all the chapters too lol

message 29: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Lusie wrote: "Bea you are not supposed to read the spoiler until you've read all the chapters too lol"

LOL...only 43 pages to go. Will finish the weekly read tonight.

Coralie | 1590 comments I have finished part one. I will give you my thoughts when I have ended my babysitting duties.

Coralie | 1590 comments Firstly, two general statements. This book might be physically heavy (I wouldn't want to rest it on my operation site) but the writing isn't at all heavy. I really like the viewpoint icons: much nicer than heading the chapter with the name of the character.
(view spoiler)

message 32: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Since we are all up to the end of part I, can I just say:

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
(view spoiler)

message 34: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
I am enjoying this book. I have been so reluctant to start it due to its size (does this man write small books?), but, I agree with Coralie that it is an easy, even fun read...and yet it keeps me guessing and letting out the breath I was holding.

message 35: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Just a heads up. I will need to travel to Virginia for a funeral and will be leaving tomorrow. I expect to return by the end of the week. I will try to stay up on the reading but will not be able to post until I return.

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Bea. Was it someone close to you? No worries about not being able to post.

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments In reaction to the comments about part 1

(view spoiler)

I've been busy so haven't been able to start the next part yet. Will probably start tomorrow.

message 38: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Lusie wrote: "I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Bea. Was it someone close to you? No worries about not being able to post."

It is my sister's husband and, unfortunately, I was not close with either of them. Seems I was always several states away in my choice of homes and not a lot in common with either. I regret that now...but it is what it is.

Thankfully, my brother and sister are closer and he will be able to provide better support for her.

message 39: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
I'm back. I should finish this week's reading today. I will post my thoughts later.

How's everyone else doing?

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments Bea, must be difficult at times to live several states apart from your family. It must be a relief for you to know your brother and sister are closer.

I'm at chapter 54. I'll finish this week's reading tomorrow.

Coralie | 1590 comments I have finished this week's reading and will post my thoughts when I am properly up and dressed.

Coralie | 1590 comments Here are my very scrambled thoughts. (view spoiler)

message 43: by Lusie (last edited Feb 15, 2020 01:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments I was able to finish reading part 2 last night after all.

After reading interludes + part 2
(view spoiler)

message 44: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Here are my thoughts.

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Lusie (last edited Feb 16, 2020 06:46AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments Bea, you are probably right about the spren. I forgot about that.
7 more books? Wow!

message 46: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
Lusie wrote: "Bea, you are probably right about the spren. I forgot about that.
7 more books? Wow!"

Yeah, the author plans to write 10 books. The first 5 will be Part I of the series, and the last 5 will be Part II of the series.

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments I hope he hurries up with writing! The title of book 4 was recently announced, so I 'll be looking forward to that book

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments After reading Interludes + Part III
(view spoiler)

message 49: by Bea (last edited Feb 18, 2020 10:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 4429 comments Mod
OK... I know I am not supposed to read the spoilers until I finish...but...

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Lusie (last edited Feb 18, 2020 11:06AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lusie (illusie) | 2957 comments Bea! Don't read it! There are so many spoilers in it!

How far are you with reading?

« previous 1