Into the Forest discussion

General > Help me find a book please!

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3545 comments Mod
I'm writing an essay about the horrific origins of fairy tales, in light of the Gretel and Hansel movie adaptation. I remember reading a book that discussed how common it was in Ancient Rome to abandon children, and I believe it went on to discuss how it was, in general, a common practice, and it tied it into changeling children in European folklore as well. I can't remember where I read this! I could've sworn we discussed it here, but I can't find the discussion!

Can anyone help me?

message 3: by Tamara (new)

Tamara Agha-Jaffar | 728 comments It's been several years since I read either book, but I think one of Sarah Hrdy's books discussed this.

It was probably in Mother Nature: Maternal Instincts and How They Shape the Human Species or Mothers and Others: The Evolutionary Origins of Mutual Understanding.

message 4: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 3545 comments Mod
Katy, I've checked both books and can't find it, though those would make sense! I've read both!

Tamara, I haven't read either of those.

Thanks to you both! I thought it might be Fairy Tale in the Ancient World but I'm not finding it in there either! Oh well. The piece will work fine without more specifics, or maybe I can find more specifics on the internet.