J.D. Robb discussion

Obsession in Death (In Death, #40)
This topic is about Obsession in Death
In Death Buddy Reads 2016 - 2021 > Obsession In Death Buddy Read - Feb. 2020

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sandra Hoover (sandrahoover) | 10393 comments Mod
Next up in our In Death series buddy read, is Obsession in Death. Open discussion begins on the 8th.

There's a thin line between hero worship and dangerous obsession...
A crisp winter morning in New York. In a luxury apartment, the body of a woman lies stretched out on a huge bed. On the wall above, the killer has left a message in bold black ink: FOR LIEUTENANT EVE DALLAS, WITH GREAT ADMIRATION AND UNDERSTANDING.
Eve Dallas is used to unwanted attention. Famous for her high-profile cases and her marriage to billionaire businessman Roarke, she has learned to deal with intense public scrutiny and media gossip. But now Eve has become the object of a singular and deadly obsession. She has an 'admirer', who just can't stop thinking about her. Who is convinced they have a special bond. Who is planning to kill for her - again and again...
With time against her, Eve is forced to play a delicate - and dangerous - psychological dance. Because the killer is desperate for something Eve can never provide - approval. And once that becomes clear, Eve knows her own life will be at risk - along with those she cares about the most.

Timeline: Dec. 27-31, 2060

Character List:

Eve Dallas
Roarke
(view spoiler)

Quotes:
Was there anything more exhausting than having complete strangers build fantasies and scenarios around you? – Eve Dallas
On celebrating New Years Eve in Times Square:
Peabody: “Are you and Roarke going to the ball drop?”
Dallas: “Oh, absolutely. If we both suffer extensive brain damage in the next twenty-four hours.” She beetled her brows at Peabody as they walked. “You’re going?”
“Well, yeah – if we’re clear. Sure, it’s insanity – I worked crowd control New Year’s Eve my first year on the job, and it’s wild and wicked. But fun, too. And Mavis got us all full-access passes, so we get some VIP treatment and get to hob and nob with celeb and music stars.”
“I’d rather be flayed alive and force-fed my own skin.”
“Eeww!”
“Yeah, that was pretty disgusting, but close to true.”

message 2: by Charlene (new)

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 715 comments It's ordered!

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 1312 comments I am going to do audio this time

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments I'm ready

Michelle | 2332 comments Can't believe it's almost February.
I'm ready.

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan (cruelshoes) | 517 comments ordered from library

This is now a Spoiler Zone! Feel free to openly discuss Obsession in Death.

Has anyone finished this one? What were the momentous moments for you in Obsession?

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments The first big scene for me is when Eve comes home to Summerset giving her a hard time for being late. They are scheduled for an event that slipped Eve's mind. While she is trying to adjust from cop to wife she sits on the bed and the reality of someone killing for her hits.

Roarke immediately switches gears. He is concerned and verifies that Mira and Whitney know about the message. I love that Eve wants to make a donation to the charity until she finds out how much Roarke plans to give.

This one begins with the killer's point of view. Readers know what the killer is thinking as the investigation progresses. Did this heighten or lessen your enjoyment of this story? Did it work or not work in your eyes?

What were your thoughts after reading the message the killer leaves for Eve early on? Any ideas at all at this point who the killer might be?

Readers see more of the interaction with Eve and her squad in this story which allows us to get to know the team members better. Members like the Carmichaels, Santiago, Jenkinson (who wears funny ties) and others. It gives fantastic insight into Eve's leadership as well as the team dynamics that make them so loyal to her. Did you enjoy this aspect of the story?

Eve & Morris have a special kind of relationship - almost weird in a way. What are your thoughts on Morris and his relationship with Eve?

What are your feelings about DeWinter and the way she handles her job? The dynamics between her & Eve? A relationship between Morris & her? Are you interested in learning more of her story?

Momentous Moments: Let's talk about Roarke & Eve. So many special scenes in this one! Share your favorites.

I'll just say an angry Roarke is a sight to behold! lol

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "This one begins with the killer's point of view. Readers know what the killer is thinking as the investigation progresses. Did this heighten or lessen your enjoyment of this story? Did it work or n..."

It is an effective way to start this story. At first I thought it was going to be some crazy unknown trying to get in Eve's good graces, but no someone inside the PD. It isn't until Eve zeros in on law enforcement that I thought someone she knows, even then I didn't guess until the killer was revealed.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "What are your feelings about DeWinter and the way she handles her job? The dynamics between her & Eve? A relationship between Morris & her? Are you interested in learning more of her story?"

I didn't like DeWinter from the moment she was first introduced. I still don't like her, and I don't trust her. In my opinion, she thinks she is better than Eve, and she likes to throw her weight around.
I definitely don't want her to be in Eve's circle of friends, but if she is with Morris, she will be. A big YUCK there.

Michelle | 2332 comments Sorry ladies. I'll be joining discussion later. Just started today.

Karen (rhyta) | 171 comments I am way behind in my reading, so just finished this one. It was my second listen and I had forgotten a lot.

The mindset of the killer was portrayed well and I found myself feeling a bit sorry for her yet realizing how insane she was. The climactic scene was scary, I had to sit down to listen because it made me so nervous! Eve is one brave detective and Roarke is scary when he is angry.

I kind of wonder about DeWinter, she almost seems like a "Bones" type of character, a tip of the hat by Robb? Probably not but I don't see her and Eve becoming friends. Things could change but I don't think they will, they will be colleagues but not close.

As always, I completely enjoyed the banter with Peabody and Mavis. Eve is lucky to have such friends and they always make me laugh which helps lessen the tension in these stories. Susan Erickson is a fantastic narrator for this series, as I have said numerous times. Love her.

Michelle | 2332 comments I don't think Eve and DeWinter will ever be true friends. As you said just colleagues. But with Robb you never know. She aha a way of entwining things that you appreciate that much lore after the fact.

Isn't that the other thing about Robb she shows not just one dimension of the killer. I don't always know if it's a good thing or bad. Personally? I think it makes you that much aware of the fact that life is not just black and white. And honestly how boring would it be if that was all there was. Black. White.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Karen, There are moments that I felt sorry for the killer too. One of the interesting aspects of Robb's writing is that she shows how people can take life events and turn them into good or evil or a combination of both.

Eve overcomes a horrific childhood, and fights on the side of the law. Lottie started out on the side of the law, then let her family's events turn her down the road of a killer.

Karen (rhyta) | 171 comments I do like how Robb addresses the killers mindset and their skewed judgment. Most of the time I can find something to make me see what changed them and why they rationalized their crimes. I really had a hard time with the guy in Thankless, he was so awful that one was difficult to read again.

Kirsten  (kmcripn) I don' hate DeWinter but she is my least favorite character. But I sometimes wonder if that is because she is so new. When she was introduced, I distrusted her immediately. But that is how Nora wrote her which makes me think eventually she has plans for her.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "This one begins with the killer's point of view. Readers know what the killer is thinking as the investigation progresses. Did this heighten or lessen your enjoyment of this story? Did it work or n..."

I really liked that we kept getting the killer's POV. I kept trying to get clues as to their identity.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "What were your thoughts after reading the message the killer leaves for Eve early on? Any ideas at all at this point who the killer might be? "

I had no idea who the killer was until it was revealed. It was pretty creepy that she kept leaving messages for Eve. I can understand why it unnerved Eve where she felt the need to keep everyone around her safe.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "Readers see more of the interaction with Eve and her squad in this story which allows us to get to know the team members better. Members like the Carmichaels, Santiago, Jenkinson (who wears funny t..."

I loved that we got more about relationships in this book. That is always the highlight for me.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥ wrote: "What are your feelings about DeWinter and the way she handles her job? The dynamics between her & Eve? A relationship between Morris & her? Are you interested in learning more of her story?"

I would like to learn more about DeWinter. I'm hoping that we get to see her and Morris together. I have felt so bad for him.

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 772 comments I actually felt sorry for this killer (which almost never happens for me). She is so alone and imagines this relationship with Eve. In the scene in the squad room where Eve is trying to talk her down and Roarke is outside the room going crazy with worry, that felt so vivid to me. I could imagine all of it so clearly.

I really loved this book. One of my favorites so far.

Sharon Kallenberger Marzola | 2415 comments Karen ♐ wrote: "I actually felt sorry for this killer (which almost never happens for me). She is so alone and imagines this relationship with Eve. In the scene in the squad room where Eve is trying to talk her do..."

I felt sorry for the killer a little too. I remember some people like her (not killers) who are so alone, strive for the attention or recognition of a boss or co-worker to the point that they are ignored or avoided. It is sad.