Start by marking “Obsession in Death (In Death, #40)” as Want to Read:
Obsession in Death (In Death, #40)

Obsession in Death (In Death #40)

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  15,548 Ratings  ·  1,406 Reviews
There's a thin line between hero worship and dangerous obsession...the explosive new Eve Dallas and Roarke thriller

A crisp winter morning in New York. In a luxury apartment, the body of a woman lies stretched out on a huge bed. On the wall above, the killer has left a message in bold black ink: FOR LIEUTENANT EVE DALLAS, WITH GREAT ADMIRATION AND UNDERSTANDING.

Eve Dallas i

Published February 10th 2015 by Berkley (first published January 12th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Obsession in Death, please sign up.
Dottie Swingle I LOVE THIS SERIES. First I collected Paperbacks of this. Then I collected Hardcovers. Now I have all the audiobooks up to "Fantasy in Death". I have…moreI LOVE THIS SERIES. First I collected Paperbacks of this. Then I collected Hardcovers. Now I have all the audiobooks up to "Fantasy in Death". I have listened to them all, in addition to reading every one of them.
I also have collected many of Nora's books.
I too have a book with me where ever I go. This fall one of my daughters alphabetized all my books in "my Library" in the basement but I keep all of the IN Death Series separate. They are special.
(less)
S Phibber There is such a thing as an ARC or Advanced Readers Copy.

There is such a thing as an ARC or Advanced Readers Copy.

As a marketing tool, publishers provide free copies of new titles to booksellers, journalists, other authors, book bloogers and even celebrities.

Such a book is variously referred to as a reader's edition, an advance copy, an advance reading copy, ARC or ARE. It's the book privately released by its publisher before the book is printed for mass distribution.

Readers' editions generally lack the final dust jacket, formatting or binding of the finished product; the text of an advance edition may also differ slightly from the market book, after comments are received from the reading group, or late errors are found in the manuscript. When a celebrity reader or journalist gives an endorsement, that's added to the dust-cover and other promotional items.

Reader books are normally distributed three and six months before the book is officially released to reviewers, bookstores, magazines, and (in some cases) libraries.(less)

Ren
Aug 14, 2014 marked it as own-unread  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-mass-market
40 books and...still no sign for THE END
Heh, who cares as long I get my Roarke fix XD
Phrynne
Feb 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the fortieth book in the In Death series and it is absolutely fantastic. To all those authors out there who cannot maintain their momentum through a mere trilogy - this is how you write a series! The story is as usual stand alone and it is written in the author's usual tight and gripping style. It is much better however if you have read all the previous books and have grown to know and love Eve and Roarke and all the rest of the gang. I loved everything about this book and the ending was ...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
You don’t need me to tell you that a crime series blurbed by Stephen King, Kathy Reichs, David Baldacci and Dennis Lehane is kind of a big deal. A simple glimpse at the cover can reveal all you need to know. But even that simple glimpse isn’t needed in this case – if you’ve somehow managed to miss the hype surrounding J.D. Robb’s (Nora Roberts’) In Death series, it’s safe to conclude that you’ve been living under a pretty big rock.

Obsession in Death is the fortieth book in this series (that’s r
Mo
Nov 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 40! I am still as invested in Eve and Roarke as I was in Book 1. Hard to believe, I know.

Eve has become the object of one person’s obsession. Someone who finds her extraordinary, and thinks about her every hour of every day. Who believes the two of them have a special relationship. Who would kill for her — again and again...

“Well now, this must be love. You sharing the biscuits.” “They’re cookies. Biscuits are hot bread you smother in butter or gravy. Remember which side of the Atlanti
Jonetta
It's the week after Christmas but before the new year and Eve Dallas has a serious fan and self-appointed avenger. There's a special message just for her at the murder scene of a prominent defense attorney. After a second murder with another message to Eve, it's clear she's the object of someone's obsession.

In this story, we not only work to deduce the identity of the killer but the next victim as they're all related to past cases. I enjoyed testing my memory of earlier books and characters. It
Delia Binder
IT'S COMING NEXT MONTH!!!!!

Eve Dallas, versus The Number One Fan From Hell - yep, you can bet I'll be getting it day&date, can't you?

PS: Thank you for all the LIKEs - but I haven't read anything but this sample posted on the J.D. Robb site. If you didn't know about it already, read it - I think this one's going to seriously challenge Eve...and Roarke, too!

2/11/15:
Just finished it. I give it 4-1/2 stars, and think it's the best J.D. Robb J.D. Robb book Nora Roberts has turned out in a while. While I'
Allison Brennan
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Best book in the series since NEW YORK TO DALLAS, in my opinion. I enjoy them all, but some rise above the others like this one.
Jilly
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Finishing this book means I have officially finished my reading goal for 2016. This is a cause for celebration!!

Oh yeah, chocolate milk. Liquid gold...

Okay, so anyway, this book was all about Eve. She has a fan of her work who has decided that the best thing they can do to "help" her is to kill everyone who has treated Eve badly. Why can't I get fans like that? I've already got my list written up for them! Life just isn't fair.

Of course, Eve is a total ingrate and is pissed off that her "new bes
Mary
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As always a great read. My favorite series, bar none.
Lady Gabriella of Awesomeness (On Hiatus)
5 Fantastic stars !

What a way to start the 2017! This book was just Mag and beyond <3
I loved how all our fav characters showed up and jazzed up this book.
And Roarke..*sign*. Roarke & Eve's chemistry in this read,was off the charts!

The story-line stayed solid,the suspense... interesting.But the ending? Now THAT WAS MAG <3

Here is hoping Robbs next books are just as awesome !
Tanja ~ KT Book Reviews
Just perfection!
Fran
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This never gets old. Eve and Roarke forever! :)
Ann Lou
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We have another winner here.  I have so much love for this series and its characters.  Eve who is tough as nails.  Ass kicker.  Bad ass but is creep out by cows (hilarious)  And she has a way with metaphors.  My ultimate girl crush.

Okay, okay, back to the story.  A crazy and obsessed fan of Eve is bent on killing the people who he/she perceives offended and disrespected Eve.  But the killer turned to Eve's close friends and Roarke as targets thinking Eve can't see him/her when other people are
JuliaOrlando
Eve Dallas has a new best friend; the only problem is her new best friend is a murderer. The suspect in this book is killing people who (s)he has perceived as having disrespected Eve, and is presenting the crimes as "gifts". There is also a very real danger to Eve's circle of family / friends as the suspect may begin to see those friends as a hindrance to his/her relationship with Eve; after all Eve can only have one true friend.

Robb did a wonderful job allowing the readers to go back over Eve'
Brenda
The days between Christmas and New Year in New York were cold, crisp and icy – the luxury apartment where the body of a high profile lawyer lay stretched out on her bed was not much warmer. But the message that the killer had left for Lieutenant Eve Dallas was chilling; and signed off “YOUR TRUE AND LOYAL FRIEND…”

It seemed that Eve had an admirer; someone who was convinced they could get rid of those who hadn’t respected Eve, hadn’t treated her right – Eve was tied to the laws of justice but the
Shawna
5 stars - Futuristic/Crime/Romantic Suspense/Science Fiction/Mystery

40 books and I’m still in total awe with this series and just as Obsessed with Roarke and Eve and the gang as ever!

(view spoiler)
Lori Twichell
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
For Eve Dallas’ 40th outing (yes, that’s four-zero), J.D. Robb has created a story that does more than just introduce a murder to solve. Woven throughout the bodies, the evidence, and the investigation, we find out how far Eve has come through the course of not just her career, but her life. In recent outings, we’ve seen more of what Eve’s past has been like. But now, as she peels back the layers of this case, Eve (and we along with her) begins to realize how much her life has changed. Though sh ...more
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Obsession in Death marks the 40th installment of the incredible world and dynamic duo that Robb introduced fans to back in 1995. Still going strong as ever, Robb has turned our lovely Eve from a lonely insecure woman to a woman rich in friends and love. With a gorgeous husband away at her side and a rewarding career that has catapulted her into celebrity status, she now faces the greatest challenge ever-her very own stalker who is eliminating anyone who stands between them and Eve. Fabulous char ...more
Kathy Davie
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fortieth in the In Death romantic suspense series and revolving around Lieutenant Eve Dallas.

My Take
I do adore Robb's In Death series and not all of her stories come up to her usual standard. Obsession in Death is one of those. Oh, the writing is well done, but there's a flatness to the story, although it is a step above going through the motions.

I can understand someone being fed up with the legal system and how many people get shafted by it. Particularly the victims! And yet, our legal system
Lucy Dosch
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Even after 40 novels and a dozen novellas, I have to say this series is still absolutely amazing! She always brings something new to the series both in character development and story line. I couldn’t stop reading Obsession. It was a walk down memory lane for series fans but it could still work as a stand alone or intro to the series for newcomers.
I know it is intimidating to look at a series that includes 40 novels. Everyone thinks, I can’t start in so late in a series. As an avid reader (and r
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

OBSESSION IN DEATH hits the fabulous fortieth installment in the still strong Romantic Suspense series. J.D. Robb has made Eve Dallas into a celebrity. She’s well-known and respected for her work, but also for her status and marriage to hubby, Roarke. With this brings on a lot of attention, both the good and the bad kind. And unfortunately, someone is killing people off whom they believe have done Eve wrong in some way.

Killing her enemies isn’t the best way to become Eve’s friend, but it is a g
Dina
Wow! I started reading this book in July 22, 2015 and finished it today (July 9, 2017) - almost two years later!?! What's happened? I must have been abducted by aliens and lost time, because that can't be right, LOL.
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Lieutenant Eve Dallas has to deal with a crazed fan that kills for her, will Eve manage to find out and stop the killer before someone close to her gets hurt?

Obsession in Death is the 40th book in the In Death series and the first book I read in this series. I didn't know that J.D. Robb as a pseudonym for Nora Roberts before I got information about this book and I was a bit curious how an author that I associate with romance (albeit with a dash of mystery to them I have read) would be as a crim
Carol
If you are a fan of ROARKE, Eve and the rest of the futuristic squad, you won't be disappointed in this 40th edition of the "In Death" series that ends ........with a bang!

While Obsession In Death is a winner and one of my very favorites.......would really, really like to see lots more ROARKE in #41!!!

Haley
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book.

Before she realized her temper snapped, Eve slapped her hands on the desk, hard enough to make it shudder. "I was ten years on the job before I set eyes on him. You think it's about money for me? You think it's about money for any cop worth the age? You're a fucking disgrace."

Kjen
Have book hangover after reading this...nothing else seems to suit...review to follow;)

Re-read in prep for Devoted In Death. Love this book...the end is freaking amazing.
 Anna (Wicked Book Blog)
This time around some things will change their course. With the end of the year it's Eve that gets to have the undivided attention of the killer. Are we talking about unreciprocated love or even lust? Or is it simply a wannabe approval seeker that stalks and assaults the victims? Those and more questions are the fine points of the whole concept of obsession. At first creepy then narrowed down to just fucked up, the (basket ;)) case is developing quite interesting. What's more, there cannot be lo ...more
AliciaJ
Seems like the closer we get to the end of the series, the better each story gets. Weird, but awesome. This one blew me away, I was glued to the pages until the very end. Best of all, I had no clue who the bad guy was until the big reveal. I love that!
Andree
Sep 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
This one was actually less disturbing than I was expecting, all things considered.

Eve dealing with a killer obsessed with her is interesting.

The Mira and Feeney moments are, as always, superb.

And I love the murder cop bullpen in general, SO.

This one's solid.

Can't believe I've read 40 of these those.
Obsidian
Aug 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
If not for my friend I would have skipped this entire book. I am glad that I just borrowed it from the library.

Forty books in and we don't have much going on with the characters of Eve and Roarke.
Eve is called in to investigate when an attorney she came up against comes up dead. A message left for Eve telling her that this person is their only true friend and that they are going to root out the bad guys for Eve since she can't.

This leads Eve into finding out about more and more of the people wh
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Obsession In Death (Sept. 2015) - Spoiler Zone 201 48 Feb 06, 2017 01:58AM
J.D. Robb : Obsession in Death (Spoiler Zone) 287 219 Jan 17, 2017 08:47AM
Around the Year i...: Obsession in Death, by J.D. Robb 2 13 Feb 06, 2016 04:18PM
2017 Reading Chal...: Obsession in Death (In Death #40) 1 16 Feb 22, 2015 09:51AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.5)
  • Don't Look Down (Samantha Jellicoe, #2)
  • The Hot Zone (Rainshadow, #3; Ghost Hunters, #11)
  • Barefoot with a Bad Boy (Barefoot Bay Undercover, #3; Barefoot Bay Universe, #14)
  • Dead By Midnight: An I-Team Christmas (I-Team #7.5)
  • Clone Hunter (Clone Rebellion Chronicles)
  • Winter Kill
  • The Lost Key (A Brit in the FBI, #2)
  • Innocent Prey (Brown and De Luca, #3)
  • Concealed in Death: by J. D. Robb -- Review
  • Alien in Chief (Katherine "Kitty" Katt, #12)
  • Second Watch (J.P. Beaumont, #21)
  • Obsession (Southern Comfort, #5)
  • Corpse in the Crystal Ball (Fortune Teller Mystery, #2)
  • The Fragile Flag (Hall Family Chronicles #5)
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Leverage in Death, on sale September 2018, is the 47th ...more
More about J.D. Robb

In Death (1 - 10 of 48 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Mr. Paradise
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • Sometimes I Lie: A Novel
  • Force of Nature
  • Bonfire
    $12.99 $3.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Monk's Hood (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
  • Before the Fall
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Death of a Travelling Man (Hamish Macbeth Mystery)
  • The Grave Tender
  • I Am Watching You
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • American by Day
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“I'm programming us a couple of spinach smoothies"

"I'll pass. For the rest of my natural life."

"Just what you need," he insisted, tapped buttons manually. And came out with two cups of coffee.”
13 likes