CPL's Book Quest: The Challenge discussion

2020 Weekly Threads > Week 3 - What Are You Reading?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Joanna (new)

Joanna | 730 comments Mod
Happy 3rd week of January! Did everyone enjoy the holiday on Monday? Or, if you worked, did you have a good weekend?

What is everyone reading this week? I finished an interesting book over the holidays called What We Talk about When We Talk about Books: The History and Future of Reading. In a series of essays, the author talked about print and how it has evolved over history. One of her more interesting points was that every generation makes the same complaints about attention span, violence, corruption, etc. that is the result of some new "technology." In fact, novels were considered to be extremely bad for you until the advent of radio. The same sorts of articles you see nowadays for things like video games were once written for novels (they even proposed laws to fine people who gave anyone under 16 a novel!).

We view our idea of books as nostalgia, but is our collective memory of "book" even right? Most of the time, it isn't.

I definitely recommend this book as it was so interesting and really showed me where my bias lies when it comes to books. We do have a couple copies here at the library.

This week, I'm hoping to read A Heart so Fierce and Broken and Sorcery of Thorns. Both have been high on my to read pile and I'm finally going to take the time to read them!

Happy reading!

What We Talk About When We Talk About Books The History and Future of Reading by Leah Price A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2) by Brigid Kemmerer Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson

message 2: by Ingrid (new)

Ingrid Hurst (bookrdr) | 279 comments I’ve got The Institute by Stephen King on audible.
I started it, time ran out & I wasn’t finished so had to go back on the hold list. Now I’ve got it back. Still only 35% of the way through & only 3 days left. 😂 Might be gong through the hold cycle again.
For my physical book I am going through the This Man series still. On nook three. Written by Jodi Ellen Malpas
In the middle of wrestling & winter color guard season so not as much time to read.

message 3: by Ann (last edited Jan 22, 2020 11:49AM) (new)

Ann (ann-fracturedfiction) | 463 comments I've finished Hidden Figures, and am now working on two nonfiction books: The Girls of Summer: the U.S. Women's Soccer Team and How It Changed the World and also Go the Way Your Blood Beats: On Truth, Bisexuality, and Desire. After this is The Water Dancer for next month's book club.
Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly The Girls of Summer The U.S. Women's Soccer Team and How It Changed the World by Jere Longman Go the Way Your Blood Beats On Truth, Bisexuality and Desire by Michael Amherst The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello. I am currently reading "Lost" by James Patterson. I had the day off and went to the gym!

message 5: by Arlice (new)

Arlice M | 95 comments I am currently reading, The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell and Just Watch me by Jeff Lindsay. I am almost finished with Kingsbane by Claire Legrand.
Kingsbane (Empirium, #2) by Claire Legrand Just Watch Me (Riley Wolfe #1) by Jeff Lindsay The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Thorlton | 24 comments Still reading A Map of Days—I'm thinking I may need to just sit it down and come back to it when I'm in the mood for it. I enjoy it, but it's not what I'm feeling right now, so the enjoyment just isn't there. Thinking I'll either read Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn or The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath.

message 7: by Zachary (new)

Zachary | 46 comments I've started Pulitzer prize winner Frederick Douglass by David W. Blight and A Dream of Wings by Tom Crouch. This one is about flight pioneers before the Wright brothers and one book I saved from weeding.