Start by marking “The Family Upstairs (The Family Upstairs, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Family Upstairs (The Family Upstairs, #1)

The Family Upstairs

(The Family Upstairs #1)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  286,164 ratings  ·  24,004 reviews
An alternative cover edition for this ISBN can be found here.

Soon after her twenty-fifth birthday, Libby Jones returns home from work to find the letter she’s been waiting for her entire life. She rips it open with one driving thought: I am finally going to know who I am.

Published November 5th 2019 by Atria Books (first published August 6th 2019)
Featured Notes & Highlights
Lisa
Lisa - author, mystery

To ask other readers questions about The Family Upstairs, please sign up.
Anne
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  286,164 ratings  ·  24,004 reviews

Start your review of The Family Upstairs (The Family Upstairs, #1)
Colleen Hoover
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My former publicist (she didn't die or get fired, I just changed publishers, so she's no longer my publicist) sent me an early copy of this book. I opened it up the day before book club (this wasn't the book club book) and I read it all in one sitting. That takes a long time, and The family upstairs was really captivating, so I didn't have time to read the actual book club book. When I got to book club the next night, Joy got mad at me for not reading the book club book, Ashleigh told me I'm a d ...more
Nilufer Ozmekik
3.25 confused, restless, is it fair enough to give lower points because you’re die-hard fan of Lisa Jewell fan question flying over my head, creepy, oh those guests should urgently get the hell out of the house stars!

Personally, honestly, I love this author’s work starting from “Watching you”, “Then she was gone”, “I found you”. She is the master evil queen of thrillers taken place in creepy houses and the characters formed in dysfunctional families who have unresolved issues.

So this book is
Chelsea Humphrey
Mar 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"It all happened so slowly, yet so extraordinarily quickly, the change to our parents, to our home, to our lives after they arrived. But that first night, when Birdie appeared on our front step with two large suitcases and a cat in a wicker box, we could never have guessed the impact she would have, the other people she would bring into our lives, that it would all end the way it did.

We thought she had just come to stay for the weekend."

description

Gather round children, and lend an ear. If you are on the
megs_bookrack
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arcs-read
As she reaches her 25th-birthday, Libby gets to open a letter that has been held in trust for her since she was a baby.

As you can imagine, she's been anxiously awaiting the chance to read it. She believes the letter contains details about her biological family.

Found at just 10-months old, at the scene of an apparent cult-motivated suicide, Libby was taken in by the State and subsequently adopted out to a loving family.

In spite of her love for her adoptive family, she has remained curious abou
Maureen
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Imagine inheriting an eight bedroom property in London’s SW3 - in the heart of Chelsea - it’s an area of multi million pound homes - well let’s face it, you’d be over the moon to say the least. This wonderful inheritance is Libby Jones 25th birthday present, but the house (or mansion to be precise) is pretty dilapidated, and it has a very sinister past too.

Told from the points of view of Libby, Lucy, and Henry, in both the past and present, this compelling family drama begins with the previous o
Meredith (Slowly Catching Up)

The Family Upstairs is a compulsively readable psychological thriller that features multiple storylines, three POV’s, an unreliable narrator, a sociopath, several mysteries, many murders, a crazy cult, a sick obsession, and much more! Needless to say, there’s a whole lot going on.

When Libby, who was adopted when she was a baby, discovers that she will inherit a mansion on her 25th birthday, she is stunned. She wants to know more about her birth parents and why she is the sole heir to a
David Putnam
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book. Great writing craft. The story is a slow burn and told in three points of view in alternating chapters. David the antagonist is developed and revealed slowly and turns more heinous with each chapter. Henry, the son is my favorite character. Jewel does a fantastic job developing his character and putting in layer after layer of motivation for what ultimately happens. The book starts out smoldering and doesn’t really shift into high gear until page 150, then it really takes off. Th ...more
Mary Beth
2.5 stars rounded up to 3 stars.

This book was very confusing too me so I am just going to use the blurb as the plot. I thought it was written well.

Be careful who you let in.

She soon learns not only the identity of her birth parents, but also that she is the sole inheritor of their abando
MarilynW
Sep 18, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, hoopla-libby
The Family Upstairs by Lisa Jewell (Author), Tamaryn Payne (Narrator), Bea Holland (Narrator), Dominic Thorburn (Narrator)

Confusing, disturbing, creepy, and I didn't want to look away. Twenty five year old Libby Jones, adopted as a baby, finds out her real identity and that she has inherited a mansion worth millions. She also finds out that she was found with three bodies, in the almost empty mansion. With the help of an investigative reporter, Libby attempts to find out what happened to her par
Dem
Forgettable and Disappointing read that started with great promise but became bogged down with too many characters and a story that went around in circles

I started out really enjoying this book as I was intrigued by premise;
Soon after her twenty-fifth birthday, Libby Jones receives the letter she’s been waiting for her entire life. She rips it open with the excitement of what it contains about her past " I am finally going to know who I am"
She soon learns not only the identity of her birth par
Paromjit
Lisa Jewell ventures into horror infested psychological thriller territory in this disturbing and unsettling novel. 25 years ago in Chelsea, London, the police enter 16 Cheyne Walk, the mansion of the wealthy Lambs, the home of the famous Martina, wife, model and mother, with her young children, Henry and Lucy. What they discover is the dead, decomposing bodies of the Lamb parents, and that of another mystery man, with a note that suggests a cult suicide, but strangely they find a 10 month old b ...more
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2019, since I’m a huge Lisa Jewell fan. For me this book was a frustrating read. The four other novels by this author which I have previously read were favorites of mine and I never had any problems with the flow of the story. This book has so many characters, switches back and forth in time and I found the characters, with the exception of Libby, to be unpredictable and not very believable. In the beginning I actually took notes to keep the character ...more
Ellie Spencer
Aug 22, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rounded down from roughly 4.5 Stars ⭐️ This was my first book by Jewell and I cannot believe I waited so long to try one of her books!

The Family Upstairs follows Libby, a young woman who has just inherited a house. But she is not the only one who has been waiting for this to happen. Police attended the house decades previously and found 3 dead bodies and a note. Upstairs was a well-cared for baby in a crib, who was looking after the baby? Where are they now?

I have been waiting to get my thrill
Kaceey
Well, it looks as though I may be in the minority on this one!

Libby is shocked after being notified she’s just inherited a massive house. One that comes with a mysterious and tragic history.
Libby was found abandoned as a baby in this home. Having been adopted, Libby has since blossomed into a 25 year old, well-adjusted, content young lady. Anxious to keep her life moving along on the timetable she’s set for herself.

Well, Miss Libby...this new inheritance thing may just change up your original
Holly  B
3.5 STARS

Lisa Jewell is one of my favorite authors!

I have read all of her thrillers and my expectations were so high for her newest (possibly too high).  I love how she writes, builds tension, and weaves a story.

Her books are so easy to read and fall into. This one did seem a bit too long though and I was beginning to tire of the complex plot. It focuses on a highly dysfunctional family and there are a lot of characters to sort out.  It took some time before I was able to make all the conne
Liz
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Lisa Jewell’s books do a good job of keeping the reader off kilter, especially at the beginning. At the age of 25, Libby learns she has inherited a house. Not just any house, but a mansion in Chelsea, London worth millions of pounds. The house has been vacant for the past 24 years, ever since her parents killed themselves in a suicide pact and left her to be found. What was never determined was what happened to the other people, including her siblings, supposedly also living in the house.

The bo
Yun
Dec 15, 2020 rated it liked it
The Family Upstairs kicks off with Libby receiving word on her 25th birthday that her birth parents have left her an abandoned mansion in a wealthy part of London. She hopes this will lead to answers about who she is and where she comes from. In a second storyline, we meet Lucy, a middle-aged mother of two struggling to get by and avoid homelessness. And in a third storyline, we follow one of the mansion's former occupants as they reminisce about what happened in there all those years ago.

Right
Gabby
Oh gosh I truly don’t understand the hype this book has already received. I absolutely love Lisa Jewell, I consider her one of my favorite authors; this was one of my most anticipated book releases of the year. I feel like this book was just so uninteresting and definitely my least favorite book from her yet.

This might be a “it’s not the book it’s me” situation cause everyone else seems to be loving the hell out of this, but I felt so disappointed and bored by this book. In typical Lisa Jewel f
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
4.5 stars!

Deliciously dark, creepy and twisted!

Lisa Jewell does it again! I loved this highly suspenseful, spine-tingling tale! This author is SO extremely consistent in her writing. She has the ability to suck me into a storyline from the first chapter barely letting me up for air before the last sentence. This book was such a treat and a great escape during these stressful and isolating times.

The engrossing plot is dark and disturbing - it involves a wealthy family, an eerie old mansion house
Deanna
Jan 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases, arcs

My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

3.5 Stars

Another intriguing read from Lisa Jewell!

A family is forever changed when a woman, her cat, and her two large suitcases come to stay.

Libby Jones was orphaned at six months old. She is now twenty-five and has just received a letter from a solicitor. She's been expecting this letter but she's still surprised by what it says. “The house. They’ve left me the house.”

16 Cheyne Walk is a townhouse in one of London’s poshe
Susanne
3 Stars.

Creepy and Disturbing. Par for the Course with Lisa Jewell, Right?!

The Past: Houseguests. They are never pleasant. Unless they are temporary. For a family living in a mansion in Chelsea, a ringing of the doorbell signals a whole host of changes that influences their entire lives, forever. Call it dark, eerie and downright strange.

The Present: On Libby Jones’ twenty-fifth birthday, she inherits a house. Not just any house, a mansion in Chelsea. Though dilapidated and vacant, it is a tota
Farrah
Jul 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really closer to 4.5 and it's all so Flowers In The Attic-like isn't it? With the poisonings and locked up children.

I ADORE Lisa Jewell's writing. Her books are unique and she's a bit quirky. At one point a character is described as being "vaguely petrified" which, really, makes no sense. It's an impossible state, but she made it seem reasonable in context.

The pace of this book is on the slower side, but consistently propelling, then becomes full blown crazy and emotional at around 70%!
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
***NOW AVAILABLE***

This was one of my most anticipated reads of 2019, since I’m a huge Lisa Jewell fan. For me this book was a frustrating read. The four other novels by this author were favorites of mine and I never had any problems with the flow of the story. This book has so many characters, switches back and forth in time and I found the characters, with the exception of Libby, to be unpredictable and not very believable. In the beginning I actually took notes to keep the characters straight
Arna
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4 & 1/2 stars

My favourite Lisa Jewell so far!

This was soo good! Told from three POV, each story felt like it’s own, with each chapter giving just enough to have you hooked. I loved seeing how they intertwined as I got deeper into the story!

What I didn’t like what about this book was two of the main characters being called Lucy and Libby. 🤦🏻‍♀️ whyyyy did they have to be so similar! Not going to lie I struggled with it throughout the whole book 😂

I was feeling a little unsure on Lisa’s books afte
Brenda ~Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
After seeing some mixed reviews for The Family Upstairs, I was a little worried one of my favorite authors has turned to the dark side in more ways than one. I am so glad I decided to give this a try for myself because I had nothing to worry about. Lisa Jewell continues to do no wrong with this devoted reader.

Lisa Jewell is moving a little towards the darker side from what this "Lisa Jewell reader" has come to expect. However, I have moved a little ok a lot to the darker side myself, so I think
Suzy
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

What a disturbing, dark, suspenseful and atmospheric story! Lisa Jewell has done it again with the The Family Upstairs. A very unique tale about family history and all of its secrets.

Although I’m a big fan of Jewell’s books, I was hesitant to read this after seeing so many of my friends’ mixed reviews. I didn’t know what to expect, so I kept an open mind. I’m so glad I did!

The three POVs in the book really made it awesome for me. Between that and the short chapters, I found my
Larry H
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Dark, twisty, and creepy, I devoured Lisa Jewell's new book in the matter of a few hours.

Libby is about to turn 25. She’s thinking about finding the right man, taking the next step in her career, making her limited amount of savings last. Adopted at a young age, she always knew she’d be getting some sort of inheritance from her birth parents on her 25th birthday but figured it might be something small and sentimental, if even that.

She’s shocked to discover she’s inherited a house—no, a once-gran
Margaret M - semi hiatus  (With lots of catching up to do)
‘The Family Upstairs’ and three dead bodies downstairs and a well-cared for ten-month-old baby in a cot in the bedroom is the setting and opening of this latest thriller from Lisa Jewell.

A story told in dual timelines, and in the present day, twenty-five-year-old Libby receives word of an inheritance that will change her life. She is the sole beneficiary of an abandoned mansion on the banks of the Thames in London’s fashionable and affluent neighbourhood of Chelsea, worth millions, and the rest.
Brandice
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
When Libby turns 25, she receives a letter she’s been waiting for her whole life — to learn the identity of her birth parents. She also find out she has inherited a mansion in London. The abandoned house is in rough condition and has a disturbing past: 3 people died there several years ago in what appeared to be a suicide pact when Libby was only a baby.

Who were her parents, really, and who was the other adult? Who saved Libby from the awful events downstairs? She works with Miller, a journalis
Baba
Jan 02, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Chelsea, London - Then: a young boy recounts how his world was turned upside down when 'strangers' entered his life when they came to stay with his family. Now - 25 years later in St. Albans, Libby, an upmarket kitchen salesperson, is shocked to find out that at 25, she has inherited that self same house in Chelsea; and in France, a mother and her two young children find themselves homeless, and the mother realises that the only way out may be to return to London. Three stories told concurrently ...more

• Who Killed Ruby?
  • Close to You
  • Tell Me Your Secret
  • Beneath the Surface
  • The Other Wife
  • Take It Back (Zara Kaleel, #1)
  • The Poison Garden
  • The Confession
  • I Spy
  • The Other Daughter
  • Who Did You Tell?
  • All The Rage (DI Adam Fawley, #4)
  • Mother Knows Best
  • Sleep
  • Rewind
  • Woman in the Water (DS Imogen Grey, #6)
  • Postscript (P.S. I Love You, #2)
  • I Looked Away
See top shelves…
LISA JEWELL was born in London in 1968.

Her first novel, Ralph's Party, was the best- selling debut novel of 1999. Since then she has written another twenty novels, most recently a number of dark psychological thrillers, including The Girls, Then She Was Gone, The Family Upstairs and The Night She Disappeared.

Lisa is a New York Times and Sunday Times number one bestselling author who has been publi

The Family Upstairs (2 books)
  • The Family Remains (The Family Upstairs, #2)

Articles featuring this book

Autumnal reading is the best kind of reading. The crisp fall air. The rustling leaves. The cardigan sweaters. You can even get the fireplace...
“They weren’t bad books,” Phin countered patiently. “They were books that you didn’t enjoy. It’s not the same thing at all. The only bad books are books that are so badly written that no one will publish them. Any book that has been published is going to be a ‘good book’ for someone.” 64 likes
“I'd subliminally determined at this point that the only way to really know what was going on in the world was to listen to women talk. Anyone who ignores the chatter of women is poorer by any measure.” 21 likes