What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Dead Valley
This topic is about The Dead Valley
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Short horror, gothic literature, concerning two boys and an evil tree that traps animals and them. [s]

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Hilyard | 4 comments I remember this short horror story I read when I was younger. It was Gothic literature I believe. It centers around two boys who are best friends who are drawn to this desiccated tree surrounded by dead soil. As they watch they see a vulture being drawn to the tree and it dies. They are terrified and run away. A short time later they buy a cute puppy and are taking it home. But they are drawn to the tree and they become trapped by it, but they escape. The puppy is not so lucky. This is why it stayed with me as a child because I was so traumatized by the death of this puppy by a supernatural force. The way it is written is very elegant and you really get a sense of dread throughout the story. But I can not remember the name or the author.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16997 comments When did you read it?

Was it in a magazine, a textbook, or a collection of short stories?

message 3: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Hilyard | 4 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "When did you read it?

Was it in a magazine, a textbook, or a collection of short stories?"

When I read it I was in elementary school or middle school. I do know it was in a book. It was a collection of short horror stories but this story is the only one I remember. The book was not large either.

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16997 comments What year was that? We don't know when you were in elementary or middle school.

message 5: by The rockabilly werewolf from Mars (last edited Jan 21, 2020 03:07PM) (new)

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1517 comments This is probably The Dead Valley by Ralph Adams Cram, it's been in a lot of anthologies, so I can't say which one you would have read it in (I know for sure that it's in Horror Times Ten, but I've come across it in other books as well).

message 6: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Hilyard | 4 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "What year was that? We don't know when you were in elementary or middle school."

It was between 1997 and 2001 when I read it.

message 7: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Hilyard | 4 comments The rockabilly werewolf from Mars wrote: "This is probably The Dead Valley by Ralph Adams Cram, it's been in a lot of anthologies, so I can't say which one you would have read it in (I know for sure that it's in [book:Horror..."

That's the story! Thank you so much!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Horror Times Ten (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ralph Adams Cram (other topics)