The Mookse and the Gripes discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
The Goldsmiths Prize > 2020 Goldsmiths Prize Speculation

Comments Showing 1-50 of 197 (197 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Ang (last edited Jan 24, 2020 04:44AM) (new)

Ang | 1685 comments Speculation for the 2020 Goldsmiths Prize:

https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

The 2020 Prize is for novels published between 1 November 2019 and 31 October 2020. A shortlist of six books will be announced on 30 September, and the prize will be awarded at a ceremony to be held on 11 November.

The 2020 judging panel: Frances Wilson (chair), Will Eaves, Sarah Ladipo Manyika, Chris Power.
https://www.gold.ac.uk/goldsmiths-pri...

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6595 comments That Reminds Me - struggling to think it won’t make the shortlist.

message 3: by Paul (last edited Jan 21, 2020 07:34AM) (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments OK here are some contenders - and working a little on the slightly incestuous nature of the prize in past years.

I'd be surprised not to see:

Strange Hotel by Eimear McBride (inaugural winner in 2013, gave the Goldsmiths lecture last year, shortlist 2016)

The Liar's Dictionary by Eley Williams (former RoC Prize winner)

That Reminds Me by Derek Owusu - thanks to GY for pointing this one out both here and encouraging me to read it

Other possibles:

Summer - will Ali Smith (winner 2014, shortlist 2013) enter it?

Threshold by Rob Doyle - sounds interesting and comes with blurbs from two former winners (McCormack and Barry)

Only a Lodger . . . And Hardly That: A Fictional Autobiography by 2019 shortlistee Vesna Main

Nietzsche and the Burbs by Lars Iyer (previously shortlisted, although his last book missed out)

Ineligible due to Goldsmiths connection (which generally rules out a surprising number of books):

How Pale The Winter Has Made Us by Adam Scovell. Mothlight would have been a very strong contender if eligible and Deborah Levy is speaking at the launch event for this one. [not yet on Goodreads}

Adam Mars-Jones new novel Box Hill (not sure if Goldsmiths material anyway)

message 4: by Neil (new)

Neil | 2037 comments I join the crowd expecting That Reminds Me to be there. I have pre-ordered The Liar's Dictionary, but on Amazon as a reminder more than anything - I will probably buy it elsewhere.

message 5: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments Incidentally Foyles are doing signed copies of McBride's new book with a bonus copy of a short story collection (actually a radio play she wrote).

https://www.foyles.co.uk/witem/fictio...

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments Couple of interesting books added over on Listopia

Old Food by Ed Atkins (added by Neil), which left me absolutely baffled, so certainly qualifies on the innovative front

Fatherhood by Caleb Klaces (by Garry) which I hadn't heard of but looks very interesting

message 7: by Garry (new)

Garry Nixon (garrynixon) | 45 comments Fatherhood IS an interesting wee novel, but seems to be a slow-burner. I can't even remember, now, how it came to my attention...

I predict that "this book will either be a success or a failure".

message 8: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments Another as it now has a UK publisher would be Bina: A Novel in Warnings by Anakana Schofield

message 9: by Ang (new)

Ang | 1685 comments Paul wrote: "Another as it now has a UK publisher would be Bina: A Novel in Warnings by Anakana Schofield"

Yay!

message 10: by Hugh (new)

Hugh (bodachliath) | 3476 comments Mod
The judging panel has been announced this morning: Frances Wilson (chair), Will Eaves, Sarah Ladipo Manyika and Chris Power.

message 11: by Paul (last edited Jan 24, 2020 03:15AM) (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments Sounds a great line up - Sarah Ladipo Manyika is still a frontrunner in best author reading by videolink ever

The rules seem consistent with the altered rules last year as well:

and actually may disqualify Bina as Schofield has I think UK nationality (so qualified before) but isn't resident here (so doesn't now)

Dates:
A shortlist of six books will be announced on 30 September
and the prize will be awarded at a ceremony to be held on 11 November.

So presumably Goldsmiths lecture also 30 September

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6595 comments Garry wrote: "Fatherhood IS an interesting wee novel, but seems to be a slow-burner. I can't even remember, now, how it came to my attention...

I predict that "this book will either be a success or a failure"."

Its just been longlisted for the Republic of Consciousness Prize

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6595 comments Hugh wrote: "The judging panel has been announced this morning: Frances Wilson (chair), Will Eaves, Sarah Ladipo Manyika and Chris Power.

https://www.gold.ac.uk/goldsmiths-pri..."

What a shame with Chris Power as judge they did not extend to short stories.

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments Gumble's Yard wrote: "Garry wrote: "Fatherhood IS an interesting wee novel, but seems to be a slow-burner. I can't even remember, now, how it came to my attention...

I predict that "this book will either be a success ..."

Any other RoC books that are Goldsmiths 2020 eligible?

Not sure there are: ultimately needs to be a novel not stories. non-translated and published in Nov/Dec 2019

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6595 comments I don't think so.

message 16: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments I just saw some bloke on twitter earlier this week telling the Goldsmiths judges to look out for the RoC list for pointers

And I had understood he was a former judge and sponsor of the prize so had inside info

https://twitter.com/GrahamFulcher1/st...

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6595 comments Deliberate disinformation after a few presses said it was suspicious last year when I tweeted a picture of a pile of all the longlist books about a minute after it was announced

message 18: by Paul (last edited Aug 11, 2020 03:55AM) (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments That was quite suspicious.

Talking of disinformation and Tweets, one of the newly selected GS judges today tweeted about how no other prize was quite like it - which is odd to do on the day the RoC list is announced, the Dylan Thomas longlist came out focusing on "experimental writers" (and then there is the Gordon Burn, which did the Goldsmiths before the Goldsmiths).

While I love the prize if anything it is more narrow than its peers in terms of excluding short stories, non-fiction, translations, deceased authors etc.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6595 comments Yes especially when

- Another judge actually won the RoC (and some other prizes)

- A third judge writes short stories which the Goldsmith does not allow despite the whole short story/novel divide being one of the areas where innovation is currently occurring

I very nearly replied to his Tweet but then decided against

message 20: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments Possibly not eligible given residency (US) vs nationality (Irish) of author, but adding Apeirogon to the list of contenders from what I'm hearing on other threads.

message 21: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 732 comments I have read most Colum McCann's novels and loved them, especiallyLet the Great World Spin, so I pre-ordered Apeirogon when I saw it would be published this Spring. McCann spoke at my local library's Spring fundraising dinner a few years ago. I was able to get him to sign all his novels in my possession. He's an interesting guy.

message 22: by Jill (new)

Jill (ninjypants) | 55 comments I am also excited about the new McCann! I have only read Let the Great World Spin and I adored it; that was back when I first got interested in literary fiction. I’ve wanted to read others of his but never have. What must I read of his back catalogue? Or should I aspire to be a completionist?

message 23: by LindaJ^ (new)

LindaJ^ (lindajs) | 732 comments Aspire to be a completionist, Jill!

message 24: by Jill (new)

Jill (ninjypants) | 55 comments Linda, I was hoping/afraid you’d say that! :)

message 25: by Robert (new)

Robert | 2181 comments I added Sophie Ward's Love and Other Thought Experiments - I'm reading it at the mo and it's quite a Goldsmiths-esque novel (?)

message 26: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments Looks great. But so Goldsmithesque that she has a PhD from Goldsmiths on the use of narrative in philosophy of mind - which I think disqualifies her from the prize.

I really think they should reconsider that rule. The RoC is UEA supported but doesn't exclude people with a connection to the UEA.

message 27: by Robert (new)

Robert | 2181 comments Paul wrote: "Looks great. But so Goldsmithesque that she has a PhD from Goldsmiths on the use of narrative in philosophy of mind - which I think disqualifies her from the prize.

I really think they should reco..."

Oh! thanks

message 28: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments It really is a bit silly - every year several great books miss out (e.g. This Brutal House, Mothlight and Patience last year, Lucia in 2018)

Particularly when the prize doesn't seem to have too many issues with picking past judges, past shortlistees etc, indeed if anything the opposite.

message 29: by Robert (new)

Robert | 2181 comments Paul wrote: "It really is a bit silly - every year several great books miss out (e.g. This Brutal House, Mothlight and Patience last year, Lucia in 2018)

Particularly when the prize doesn't seem to have too ma..."

Quite ridiculous - Honestly Goldsmiths are shooting themselves in the foot with these restrictive regulations

message 30: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments I think they'd be better having a jury of non-GS people - whereas the chair is always from the uni - then they're be no perceived risk of bias.

message 31: by Paul (last edited Jun 17, 2020 03:00AM) (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments Gordon Burn Prize list out which can provide useful Goldsmiths pointers, albeit it includes non-UK authors and non-fiction

see thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I think ones that may be Goldsmiths eligible are:
Theft, Rainbow Milk, Scabby Queen

(assuming none of them ever set foot at Goldsmiths University - which seems to disqualify half the books as discussed)

message 32: by WndyJW (new)

WndyJW | 5949 comments Paul Mendez, author is Rainbow Milk, is Alan Hollinghurst’s partner.
I can’t say any of these excite me.

message 33: by Robert (new)

Robert | 2181 comments Paul wrote: "Gordon Burn Prize list out which can provide useful Goldsmiths pointers, albeit it includes non-UK authors and non-fiction

see thread https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/......"

Theft (which is great!!) is rather conventionally written, At times it reminds me of an Edward St. Aubyn novel, It's more Booker material. Since it's got a political and North/South England subplot, I can see why it's been longlisted for the Gordon Burn Prize.

message 34: by Paul (last edited Jun 18, 2020 12:38AM) (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments Agreed re. Theft from what I have seen of it.

Although the author did his PhD on “Tension between artistic and commercial impulses in literary writers’ engagement with plot” and submitted his first novel as part of his thesis. I have seen him talk about the idea in connection with this novel as well.

(http://theses.gla.ac.uk/5158/)

Though that would seem to make it more likely to appeal to the Goldsmiths, which has an academic bent, than the Gordon Burn.

message 35: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments The 2020 Goldsmiths lecture has been announced (followed of course by shortlist announcement)

And it is Bernadine Evaristo with an interesting twist on the 'why novels matter' theme - Why Some Novels Matter More Than Others

30th September, 7pm UK - and online & free to access

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-ne...

message 36: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments Any thoughts on the likely contenders listopia - https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

Feeling there must be some I've missed - although the list does include some speculation from Twitter as well.
https://twitter.com/David_Heb/status/...

And feels like this may be the year when there isn't a Booker book (unless they decide Who They Was is actually an elaborate post-modern satire)

My personal list would be:
Only a Lodger .. and Hardly That, That Reminds Me, Saving Lucia, The Liar's Dictionary, Exquisite Cadavers and After Absalon

But I think of those only That Reminds Me, The Liar's Dictionary and Exquisite Cadavers will be on the list - those would almost surprise me if not there.

message 37: by Val (new)

Val | 1016 comments I have only read three from the listopia:
Strange Hotel, Apeirogon and Hamnet.

My prediction is that Strange Hotel and Apeirogon will be on the list
and Hamnet will not.

message 38: by Neil (last edited Sep 10, 2020 04:04AM) (new)

Neil | 2037 comments I've read 18 of the books on that list. From those, I would love to see the following on the shortlist:

That Reminds Me
The Liar's Dictionary
Apeirogon
Only a Lodger...And Hardly That
Saving Lucia
Mr Beethoven

By listing those, I seem to have listed most of my favourite books of the year.

Summer is the other obvious choice from me because I loved the whole quartet. But I am not a fan of final parts of series being on shortlists.

message 39: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments Any ones to add to the Listopia list?

I still haven't quite forgiven the two forum members who had read one of the shortlisted books last year, but failed to add it to the list of contenders, thereby spoiling our perfect record of having tipped all of the Goldsmiths books ...

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6595 comments I don't see how Apeirogon can possibly be eligible. Colum McCann has I think not lived in Ireland since the mid 80s.

message 41: by Neil (new)

Neil | 2037 comments I have been wondering about that since I put it on my list.

message 42: by Neil (new)

Neil | 2037 comments Paul wrote: "Any ones to add to the Listopia list?

I still haven't quite forgiven the two forum members who had read one of the shortlisted books last year, but failed to add it to the list of contenders, the..."

The trouble with subscribing and getting books ahead of publication date is that you sometimes think a book has missed out on one year when, in fact, it is eligible for the following year.

message 43: by Paul (last edited Sep 10, 2020 04:45AM) (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments written in English by authors who are citizens of the United Kingdom (Great Britain and Northern Ireland) or the Republic of Ireland, or who have been resident in the UK or the Republic of Ireland for three years prior to the date of submission for the award

I'd assumed - but don't know - he's retained Irish dual citizenship. Anakana Schofield - who has Bina eligible this year - qualified previously as a dual citizen.

In any case Amy Arnold was clearly eligible last year so don't change the subject :-)

message 44: by Paul (new)

Paul Fulcher (fulcherkim) | 10028 comments Neil wrote: "Paul wrote: "Any ones to add to the Listopia list?

I still haven't quite forgiven the two forum members who had read one of the shortlisted books last year, but failed to add it to the list of co..."

That's a better excuse than GY's attempt to throw an Apeirogon shaped dead cat on the table

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6595 comments Are there any past judges who are eligible - other then McBride? That's always a good indication for this prize which is fairly incestuous.

And what books fail the Goldsmith alumni ban - GWO last year for example would I think have been a certainty especially as Evaristo is a past judge, Love and Other Thought Experiments this year is excluded. Any others?

I also think excluding short story collections from an innovative prize is a shame

Perhaps the most serious thing though with the prize is the racial diversity - 35 shortlisted books and I think 3 ever by non-white authors? Have I missed some? I must have surely?

This year I think there are two very strong contenders in That Reminds Me and Exquisite Cadavers and both by authors who have written about how its hard to be taken seriously as writing innovative fiction if you are in a minority group.

message 46: by Neil (new)

Neil | 2037 comments It’s not an excuse, it’s an explanation. :-)

message 47: by Robert (last edited Sep 10, 2020 04:53AM) (new)

Robert | 2181 comments For me, Who They Was screams Goldsmiths (besides other people screaming within the book)

I think Theft is not really a Goldsmiths type book (I can see it on the RoC list though) and Traveller at the Gates of Dawn is interesting but it's just a conventional adventure story with a superficial experimental dressing.

message 48: by Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer (last edited Sep 10, 2020 05:00AM) (new)

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6595 comments I fear it would be classic Goldsmith Robert - a white author writing about black gangs.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6595 comments Ah - the rules have I think been changed from the Listopia ones. They says "Submitted novels, written in English by authors resident in the United Kingdom (Great Britain and Northern Ireland) or the Republic of Ireland for three years prior to the date of submission for the award, must be published by a publisher based in the UK or the Republic of Ireland during the prize year." - which I think may have been the change 2 years or so back (which was anyway ignored for Guy G)

But the actual rules now say (my bold)

"Submitted novels, written in English by authors who are citizens of the United Kingdom (Great Britain and Northern Ireland) or the Republic of Ireland, or who have been resident in the UK or the Republic of Ireland for three years prior to the date of submission for the award, must be published by a publisher based in the UK or the Republic of Ireland during the prize year."

In which case Shuggie Bain cannot be ruled out either.

Gumble's Yard - Golden Reviewer | 6595 comments Paul wrote: "In any case Amy Arnold was clearly eligible last year so don't change the subject ..."

It never occurred to me it was Goldsmith material to be honest - either time when I read it.

« previous 1 3 4
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.