What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Defy (Defy, #1)
This topic is about Defy
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA: Main character is the only woman of elite Royal Guard. [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Haile (new) - added it

Haile (optimisms) | 4 comments I read this book somewhere from 2014-16. The book has a green & silver cover with a sword on the front, and the title might have the word "ever" in it. I think the title is one word. It's very contemporary and was probably written after 2010. Author was a woman
The main character is a woman who is really good at sword fighting and is the only woman in the Royal Guard (first scene is her practicing fighting w/ other members of the guard), but the fact that she's a woman is a secret. I think her brother is also on the guard. The first big plot thing is relatively early, but I took it out of the "Topic" just in case someone considers it a spoiler. From here on, everything is a SPOILER:

She's woken in the middle of the night by men breaking into the Prince's room. She tries to fight them but she gets hit in the head, and she, the Prince, and another guard member get captured and taken from the castle by rebels. They travel in the forest for the whole book, she gets revealed as a woman to the others, and a love triangle ensues between her, the other guard member, and the Prince. It turns out that the King is evil and the Prince is working with the rebels against him, and the people that "kidnapped" the Prince were actually in kahoots with him; it was all planned and staged. So then there's something about a ball that they infiltrate, there's a big battle, in the end the Prince gets crowned king and she decides she doesn't want either of them. There's also something DISGUSTING about like breeding houses where women get sent and it's basically forced prostitution/rape, and that's why the main character has to disguise herself because otherwise she'd be sent to a breeding house, which was v disturbing and unexpected. Any help is appreciated!

message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire | 1 comments On my phone, so I can’t link a book, but I am 99.9% sure it’s Defy by Sara Larson!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

message 3: by Haile (new) - added it

Haile (optimisms) | 4 comments Claire wrote: "On my phone, so I can’t link a book, but I am 99.9% sure it’s Defy by Sara Larson!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1..."

Yes! This is it! Thanks!