Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Quality of Silence
This topic is about The Quality of Silence
Buddy Reads: Current & Upcoming > Lupton, Rosamund --The Quality of Silence informal buddy read starts February 1, 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31132 comments Mod
This thread is open to discuss The Quality of Silence by Rosamund Lupton.

Synopsis
On 24 November Yasmin and her ten-year-old daughter Ruby set off on a journey across Northern Alaska. They're searching for Ruby's father, missing in the arctic wilderness.

More isolated with each frozen mile they cover, they travel deeper into an endless night. And Ruby, deaf since birth, must brave the darkness where sight cannot guide her.

She won't abandon her father. But winter has tightened its grip, and there is somebody out there who wants to stop them.

Somebody tracking them through the dark.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

Jenny | 5203 comments Looking forward to this one too.

Laura | 9707 comments Me too!

Geri | 2042 comments I’d like to join! The book looks good.

Stacey | 572 comments Geri, glad to have you join us!

I have my copy and will be ready to start. Sounds like Jenny will be too. Laura, do you want to start on the 1st or will you need another day or 2?

Jenny | 5203 comments I've got my copy, and am happy to start whenever.

Since we will be starting this during Uno, does that look blue to you guys? Or is it too purple?

Laura | 9707 comments I'm good to start whenever everyone wants to. I may have messed the date up...sorry Stacey and Jenny.

Hi Geri!!! Glad you joined us

Stacey | 572 comments I am good to start on the 1st, or whatever works.

Jenny, I definitely don't think the cover is purple. You can probably make it work for blue.

Stacey | 572 comments Jenny wrote: "I've got my copy, and am happy to start whenever.

Since we will be starting this during Uno, does that look blue to you guys? Or is it too purple?"

Ok, I have to ask. What is Uno? There are so many challenges on here and I haven't seen this one. I'm still feeling new as well.

Laura | 9707 comments Stacey, Uno is a team challenge in the group Perks of being a book Addict. Sorry I'm on my phone so can't link for you. Karen moderates both groups and this is her 6th year hosting Uno. It starts tomorrow running for 3 months.

Jenny | 5203 comments Here's the link...
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Teams are formed, but you can sign on as a reserve if you want to.

This was my first team challenge ever, which led me to all the others.
Very fun.

Laura | 9707 comments Jenny I have to admit that I "stalked " your Uno cover shelves! The first wheel a thon was my first team challenge. Uno is nice in that you can pretty much read what you want.

Stacey | 572 comments Fun, thanks! I joined the group and may try for reserve. I haven't done a group challenge yet and it looks like fun.

Jenny | 5203 comments Stalk away! I have read some brilliant books, and some absolute dogs.

I love seeing what other people read.

Jenny | 5203 comments Stacey wrote: "Fun, thanks! I joined the group and may try for reserve. I haven't done a group challenge yet and it looks like fun."

Uno is known as the gateway drug to other team challenges! I hope you get on a team.

Laura | 9707 comments I agree, I also love seeing what other people are reading. Okay, I'm gone I 'm almost finished the other book ( last section) and I have a workout to do and a house to clean before my company comes.

Jenny | 5203 comments I think I might make a start on this one today. So many books to choose from, but this one has a start date attached! Well, sort of...

Laura | 9707 comments I'm having a bad day, I m hoping to get to it tonight.

message 21: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I read chapter 1-8. It’s not what I expected. It’s MPG suspense thriller. But it is reading as more YA. I guess because we are following Ruby a lot. I am at a point where I hope things will get more exciting. I don’t read much on weekends. So I’ll read more tomorrow. I have to finish this book because it is worth $25 for my Storage Wars challenge! 😁

Stacey | 572 comments Geri, I'm a bit sad to hear that. I've only gotten through chapter 4. I might get a little further today but not sure. I was hoping there would be more Alaskan landscape but highly unlikely in winter. I'm finally starting to get used to the rapidly changing perspectives, I really didn't like this in chapter 1. I'm really hoping for something more. Right now I'm just wondering what Yasmin is thinking. She is supposed to be an astrophysicist but this isn't even close to rational.

message 23: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Stacey wrote: "I'm just wondering what Yasmin is thinking. She is supposed to be an astrophysicist but this isn't even close to rational.."

I totally agree. I have been thinking the same thing!

Laura | 9707 comments I’ve also finished chapter 4. I like the changing perspectives and I like the story so far but agree that I don’t understand what Yasmin is thinking. Is it just denial or something else?

Jenny | 5203 comments Just finished chapter 3. Not sure about this one yet. There are enough sketchy characters to make a suspect list, but so far, I don't know what I am supposed to be suspicious of.

I agree, the Yasmin is not being very scientific. She wants him to be alive so she can yell at him? Because she is in love?
I like Ruby though.

message 26: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I am through chapter 15. It is getting better for me. It is getting a little suspenseful. But there are some far fetched parts too.

I like Ruby too she is smart. But then (view spoiler)

I finally understand some why Yasmine is adamant Matt is alive. (view spoiler)

It is getting more suspenseful. (view spoiler)

I do want to find out what happens in the end. But I also wish the book was written better.

How is everyone else finding the book?

Stacey | 572 comments I really want to read your thoughts but you are so far ahead! I am through chapter 5 and will get a bit farther tonight.

I really like Ruby too and am happy that there is an explanation as to why Yasmin think's Matt is alive. Can't wait to find that out. Right now I feel like it is a little slow. I feel like we are talking about fracking for a reason so I am curious how that fits in. As an aside, I have family that used to live in an area where fracking occurred and I've seen them light their water on fire.

message 28: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Stacey wrote: "I have family that used to live in an area where fracking occurred and I've seen them light their water on fire."

Yikes! I don’t know much about fracking. But I have heard about this.

Jenny | 5203 comments You know, if we had mastered space travel already, and there were other planets to live on, it might not matter so much that we are killing this one. But...

Fracking is cheap, relatively, and easy to do, relatively, and very profitable. It also causes earthquakes and poisons groundwater.

Humans. At least there is beauty to go along with the ugliness.

Sorry- Monday. I'll try to catch up with you guys tonight...

Laura | 9707 comments I finished chapter 8
(view spoiler)

message 31: by Laura (last edited Feb 03, 2020 07:00PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Laura | 9707 comments I’m still waiting for copies of The Grace Year by Kim Liggett & The Other People by C.J. Tudor . Is there something else we want to buddy read after we finish this current one while we wait for my copies to come in? I was thinking 2 weeks or less ( give Stacey a chance to read a few of her books for Mad Hatter. ( though potentially we might like something you chose)

Stacey did you sign up for reserves for Uno?

message 32: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "I’m still waiting for copies of The Grace Year by Kim Liggett & The Other People by C.J. Tudor. Is there something else we want to buddy read after we finish this current one while we ..."

I have The Grace Year and keep meaning to read it. I’m in for buddy reading that one.

Jenny | 5203 comments Here are some random titles that I have picked up. Any look good?

The Ditch by Herman Koch The Binding by Bridget Collins Light from Other Stars by Erika Swyler The Pursuit of William Abbey by Claire North The Vanished Birds by Simon Jimenez When We Were Vikings by Andrew David MacDonald

message 34: by Laura (last edited Feb 03, 2020 07:52PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Laura | 9707 comments Jenny wrote: "Here are some random titles that I have picked up. Any look good?

The Ditch by Herman Koch The Binding by Bridget Collins Light from Other Stars by Erika Swyler The Pursuit of William Abbey by Claire North - unfortunately I can’t get that one. I was able to put holds on When We Were Vikings & Light from Other Stars. I should have both by the end of the week.

Jenny | 5203 comments Ok, I have finished, and I have some issues. I will wait until you guys are done to discuss. : )

message 36: by Stacey (last edited Feb 04, 2020 05:43AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Stacey | 572 comments Man, I read so much slower than you guys. You may need to read one without me. Go ahead and discuss, I'll come back in a few days.

I have the Grace Year and would like to read it. It is due soon and I am hoping I can renew but I may need to return and wait again. I've decided to read Storm in a Teacup The Physics of Everyday Life by Helen Czerski . I'm curious, its short, and I think I'll listen to the nice accent. A few others I have at home and would like to read are The Last Town on Earth by Thomas Mullen or The Girl Who Lived by Christopher Greyson .

Jenny, I'll have to check out the books you listed later and I'll have to check out the other people. I didn't request that one.

Laura | 9707 comments I'm not finished either Stacey. I will be starting chapter 12 later today.

Stacey | 572 comments Laura, ok. I think I can catch up to you.

As for books, I just got my copy of Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain that I will be starting soon.

message 39: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments I have finished the book. But I will wait to discuss when everyone is done. That way I won’t torment Stacey with my spoiler tags. 🙂

Jenny | 5203 comments There's an option to torment someone? Cool.

teehee

message 41: by Laura (last edited Feb 04, 2020 11:39AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Laura | 9707 comments Stacey wrote: "Laura, ok. I think I can catch up to you.

As for books, I just got my copy of Big Lies in a Small Town by Diane Chamberlain that I will be starting soon."

It looks good, I think I 'll eventually put a hold on it. There's a long queue for it:-)

If you all want to read The Grace Year without me I'm okay with that. I can always come back to the thread when my copy comes in. I always have several other options to read. I 'm looking forward to American Dirt & You Were There Too.

I'm waiting on copies Mambo in Chinatown Alone in the Wild You Are Not Alone &The Honey-Don't List to buddy read with Geri.

Stacey- I tried to get The Last Town on Earth but my library doesn't have a copy.

Laura | 9707 comments Jenny wrote: "There's an option to torment someone? Cool.

teehee"

Spoilers are absolute torture...because you realllllyyy want to open them but know that you are going to ruin the story for yourself if you peek!

Stacey | 572 comments Ok, so I finished chapter 12. Taking a little break then I'll get back. I'm hoping to read the spoilers tomorrow. So glad you are enjoying tormenting me.

Oh, and after reading the section where Adeeb understood I told my husband I must not love him enough to try to rescue him from depths of Alaska when everyone thought he died in the fire. He said I probably set the fire. The love. I'm also amazed at the physicist who knows how it works so of course she can drive a big rig in Alaska. I'm an engineer, maybe I should try it too.

Laura | 9707 comments I finally finished chapter 15 and I was able to read Geri's spoilers!

Yasmin makes me so frustrated and angry that I can't read more than a couple of chapters at a time. ( sorry, I really don't like my pick this time) I just can't relate to Yasmin. I dislike her character. For an intelligent woman she is certainly making a lot of stupid decisions.
(view spoiler)

message 45: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Stacey wrote: "Oh, and after reading the section where Adeeb understood I told my husband I must not love him enough to try to rescue him from depths of Alaska when everyone thought he died in the fire. He said I probably set the fire. The love. ."

That’s funny! I often tell my husband that the reason I unplug Alexa is so there won’t be a recording of me murdering him. Alexa records all when on! LOL And I’m just kidding him. 😁

I think you should try driving that big rig. Obviously it doesn’t take much training! LOL

message 46: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Laura wrote: "sorry, I really don't like my pick this time."

It’s like that sometimes. I finished to get my $25 in my current challenge. Otherwise, I might have abandoned it.

Jenny | 5203 comments The story is pretty implausible. But, come on guys, just looking at someone perform a complicated action is surely enough learnin' to be able to do it yourself!
We all could be surgeons from watching ER, or cops from watching Law and Order. How hard could it be?

I threaten my two kitty monsters pretty frequently, but as I am not married, I am unlikely to kill my husband. But, there is no one in my house to lift heavy things and take out the trash either. Everything is a trade off.

message 48: by Geri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Geri | 2042 comments Jenny wrote: "The story is pretty implausible. But, come on guys, just looking at someone perform a complicated action is surely enough learnin' to be able to do it yourself!
We all could be surgeons from watchi..."

LOL Jenny! Heavy lifting and taking out the trash do make husbands worthwhile.😄

And why not. I think I will fly a plane. Even though I’ve never taken a flying class.

Laura | 9707 comments I finished ( finally)
(view spoiler)

Stacey | 572 comments Ok, I did great last night and got through chapter 16. I will try to finish tonight but it will likely be tomorrow.

I am curious but this whole thing feels insane. I was hoping for great Alaska wilderness but hard to do in the winter. I also don't get the pictures. Dead animals with little to no blood? I mean, weird and maybe a bit scary but not really what I would expect from someone trying to scare someone - or at least scare them off. I do also love that their is no discussion of her driving on the wrong side of the road, but I guess I'm being picky here.

It's not my favorite book so far, but I like it better than one of my other recent reads. I won't mention it since most people seem to really like it.

« previous 1