Calvinist Batman & Friends discussion

Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1)
This topic is about Red Sister

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Matthew Manchester (calvinistbatman) | 233 comments Mod
The third part (of 4) of this book has been my favorite.

What I love most about epic fantasy is not just the magic systems, but how the magic works. More importantly, I'm interested in what the magic can't do. It's these limitations that can make a book good, great, or bad.

All between the 50%-70% mark, we learn more about The Path. And I am in love with what is happening and the rules the author imposes on the magic system. I've been hooked ever since the trial.

-------------------------------------

What are your thoughts about the magic used?
How is the reading progress going?
Are you planning on reading the entire trilogy?

Amanda | 101 comments Mod
The path and all the magic stuff is really interesting. It doesn't seem like the kind of Harry-Potter-esque magic I'm used to - more like Star Wars, where they're tapping into and drawing power from something that flows through the world.

I just started chapter 33 and am loving this book! It's not one of my preferred genres, but the writing and the story are so good!

I'm really feeling uneasy about (view spoiler)

I tend to take series one book at a time, only committing to read the next book. Unless this book ends terribly, I absolutely plan to read Grey Sister.

message 3: by Matthew (last edited Jan 17, 2020 01:58PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amanda wrote: "I'm really feeling uneasy about......"

Yeah, that interaction is not going to go well. At all.

However, I'm impressed with (view spoiler) arrogance. There's something really nuanced going on with her confidence. I dislike her a lot and feel I know what's coming, though that might be a plant by the author. However, I don't despise her (yet?). The author helps you relate just enough to be interested in what's going on with her.

-----------------

Also, give it time. I'm Rowling will mess up Harry Potter enough where eventually magic will work like the Force.

message 4: by Garrett (last edited Jan 21, 2020 04:35AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Garrett Houghton | 17 comments Calvinist wrote: "The third part (of 4) of this book has been my favorite.

What I love most about epic fantasy is not just the magic systems, but how the magic works. More importantly, I'm interested in what the m..."

I agree, I immediately thought of the Force when the Path was introduced. In Star Wars, the depth of magic exploration is generally "be one with the Force", or "use the Force, Luke". This series really paints a better picture of how magic flows through the world, and how people can attempt to harness it. Really liking it, even though I don't quite understand what the limits are, the difference between Marjal and Quantal magics, etc. That's the type of stuff that I usually highlight and make note of in Kindle, but seems to go in one ear and out the other via audio.

Finally, no way that friendship lasts. Lawrence seems to be planting a couple of seeds: love of money, lingering family connections, and confused feelings to name a few.

Garrett wrote: "...even though I don't quite understand what the limits are, the difference between Marjal and Quantal magics, etc.."

Easy way to remember:
Gerant: really tall + brawn
Hunska: really fast
Marjal: can use lesser magics, like Shadow-working
Quantal: can convert the path into magic/power

From the wikis:

Marjal:
Marjal is one of the four original tribes of men, the ancestors of the people of Abeth, the others being Gerant, Hunska, and Quantal. The traits of the Marjal bloodlines sometimes show in the current population. They are able to tap into lessor magics. The most common example is Shadow-Working, the ability to render oneself virtually invisible; a dangerous variation is a Rending-Shadow which tears flesh and has no physical defence. But there's a wider variety of talents: affinity with animals, turning a man's mind, fire-working, rock-working, etc. Some rare people also have innate abilities such as Flaw-Blades, an invisible weapon or shield. Marjal traits are much more common than Quantal,

Quantal:
Quantal is one of the four original tribes of men, the ancestors of the people of Abeth; the others being Gerant, Hunska, and Marjal. The traits of the Quantal bloodlines sometimes show in the current population, but it is the rarest of the four tribes. By tapping directly into the power of The Path, a trained Quantal can work greater magics, from blowing the strongest door asunder, to throwing lightening, from scattering men with a wave of the hand, to controlling the wind. By manipulating the Threads that are woven to create reality, they can work subtler magic, from tracking anyone, to getting drawn when an object moves, from unlocking any door, to influencing what someone thinks or feels. Young Quantal children are trained to use and control their power at institutions such as the convent of Sweet Mercy, where the Shipheart magnifies abilities to an incredible degree. On taking holy orders, they become Mystic Sisters or Brothers in service to Ancestor.

Gerant:
Gerant is one of the four original tribes of men, the ancestors of the people of Abeth, the others being Hunska, Marjal and Quantal. The traits of the Marjal bloodlines sometimes show in the current population. They are distinguished by their enormous heavily-built size, towering above normal people. Children with the trait often don't grow into their height until well into their teenage years. They also tend to live short lived lives, as their body grows too large for their hearts. Those with Gerant traits include: Raymel Tacsis, Saida, Darla, Denam, Zole, Gretcha, and Maya.

Hunska:
Hunska is one of the four original tribes of men, the ancestors of the people of Abeth, the others being Gerant, Marjal and Quantal. The traits of the Hunska bloodlines sometimes show in the current population. They are distinguished by their astonishing speed, and often have dark hair and dark eyes. When someone overtaxes their speed, they will suffer from a debilitate exhaustion known as the Hunska Burn. Hunskas tend to age faster than normal.

---------------------------

I had the same problem.