Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Archive [General] > Top Three Books/Series You're Most Keen to Read in 2020

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4612 comments Mod
This week, share the top three books and series you are most excited to read this year!

message 2: by Lily (new)

Lily (galvadonexnorta) | 25 comments 1. A Song of Ice and Fire
2. The Goddess Test
3. Air Awakens

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Oh this is the easy to answer!

1. Blue Lily, Lily Blue (the Raven Cycle)
2. A Storm of Swords (ASOIAF)
3. The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles). Planning on joining the February BR for this.

I don't have a buddy read for the above two so if you'd fancy reading them with me, let me know!

message 4: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 274 comments Six of Crows
Red Queen
The Priory of the Orange Tree
there is lots of other books but these were gifts from a dear friend so I'm more excited about these...

message 5: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 274 comments Maria wrote: "Oh this is the easy to answer!

3. The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles). ..."

if u can wait a month I'd like to read storm of swords too, already failed a exam for reading books instead of studying, so planning to study these two weeks to not fail the remaining 4 exams :)))

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Peggy wrote: "Maria wrote: "Oh this is the easy to answer!

3. The Wise Man's Fear (Kingkiller..."

Sure! We could do Feb. Is the second or third week ok?

message 7: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 274 comments Maria wrote: "Peggy wrote: "Maria wrote: "Oh this is the easy to answer!

3. [book:The Wise Man's Fear|1112729..."

its perfect <3

message 8: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Great! What about dates? Is the 18th ok?

message 9: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 274 comments Maria wrote: "Great! What about dates? Is the 18th ok?"

I'll be between two terms, totally free for two weeks then it will be perfect!!!

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments So 18th is good? Shall I ask for the thread to be set up then?

message 11: by Soo (last edited Jan 16, 2020 08:23AM) (new)

Soo (silverlyn) | 4675 comments New Releases that I'm very excited to read:

- Dresden Files #16: Peace Talks
- Murderbot #5: Network Effect

Toss Up for 3rd:
- Sandman Slim #11: Ballistic Kiss
- Grayman #9: One Minute Out
- Mercy Thompson #12: Smoke Bitten
- Pendergast #19: Crooked River
- Rockton #5: Alone in the Wild

message 12: by Peggy (new)

Peggy | 274 comments Maria wrote: "So 18th is good? Shall I ask for the thread to be set up then?"

yes thank u

message 13: by Tammie (last edited Jan 16, 2020 09:22AM) (new)

Tammie | 3995 comments 1. Peace Talks
2. The last two books of Legends of the First Empire series Age of Death and Age of Empyre
3. Smoke Bitten

message 14: by Hailee (last edited Jan 29, 2020 01:52PM) (new)

Hailee | 2503 comments Top 3 Series

♡ The Winnowing Flame starting with The Ninth Rain. This is from the author of The Copper Cat trilogy which is one of my all time favourite series so now the next trilogy is complete I want to start it.

♡ The Nine Realms starting with A Queen in Hiding. This series wasn't an my radar until a week or so ago but I'm supporting it on principle. A series where they are releasing one book every consecutive month and straight to paperback so I don't have to to wait for a year after everyone else. This exactly the kind of thing I love.

♡ Mistborn starting with The Final Empire. I'm horrified I've yet to read a Sanderson book. 2020 is the year to change that.

Top 3 Books

The Priory of the Orange Tree. I can't believe this has been out for a year and I still haven't read it.

Lords Of The White Castle. This will be a reread of one of my favourite ever books. Second book in the FitzWarin duology.

A Blight of Blackwings. Sequel to A Plague of Giants I have been looking forward to this for years. Planning to reread book 1 before A Blight is released on 6th Feb.

message 15: by Hailee (new)

Hailee | 2503 comments Peggy wrote: "Six of Crows..."

This book battles it out with Carry On as my favourite YA book ever. Love it so much.

message 16: by Chris (new)

Chris (murphy44) | 706 comments For this list, I'm going to go with the 3 Series that I want to finish up this year...

1: Red Rising Saga: Small books BIG STORY, can't wait.
2: Mistborn: I have the last book of the first trilogy to finish and then the next three as well. <3 me some Sanderson!
3: Memory Sorrow and Thorn: I'm on the last book currently and would like to start reading Tad's follow up series starting with The Witchwood Crown!

message 17: by Maria (new)

Maria (mariasaleem) | 632 comments Peggy wrote: "Maria wrote: "So 18th is good? Shall I ask for the thread to be set up then?"

yes thank u"

Done!

message 18: by Beena (new)

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments 1. Stormlight- Sanderson
2. Book of the Ancestor- Lawrence
3.Skullsworn

message 19: by Brian (new)

Brian | 986 comments 1. The Faithful and the Fallen by John Gwynne
2. Vlad Taltos series
3. Legends of the First Empire by Michael Sullivan

3.1 any of the hundreds of books in my TBR pile!!

message 22: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new)

message 23: by Virginie (last edited Jan 20, 2020 03:09AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments New Releases:

- The Rhythm of War - More Cosmere!

- Age of Empyre - so that I can re-read book #1-3 then binge #3-6

- The Book of Dragons: An Anthology - an illustrated anthology about dragons featuring so many good authors... *drools*

Series:

- Wandering Inn - BR with Anni, Iain and plenty of other people

- Johannes Cabal - recommended by Iain

- The Queen's Thief - recommended by Anni & Iain

Standalones:

- Steel Crow Saga - damn Petrik and his reviews

- Soon I Will Be Invincible

- Sorcery of Thorns - recommended by Anni, Iain, Hailee and Siobhan

Now that I'm looking at the list, there's a lot of Anni & Iain recs... I often call Petrik the 'TBR Demon Lord' but those two are just as bad! :p

message 24: by Chris (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 1687 comments Peace Talks
The Rhythm of War
The Girl and the Stars

message 25: by Timelord Iain (last edited Jan 20, 2020 11:12AM) (new)

Timelord Iain | 15721 comments Virginie wrote: "New Releases:

- [book:The Book of Dragons: An Anthology|483..."

...Iain...Iain...Iain...Iain... and Anni too sometimes...

:D

We've just done so many BRs together now, that we know what you like, I think...

message 26: by Aakash (new)

Aakash (aakashthedreamer) | 420 comments 1. The Tower of Nero: The final book in Trials of Apollo series. It will release in September and I am very very excited to read it.
2. Infernal Device series and remaining three books in Mortal instruments series.
3. The Hobbit, or There and Back Again: I have the paperback for a while now but I am waiting so I can buy Lords of Rings series and read the whole Middle Earth series in a one go.

message 27: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Timelord Iain wrote: "We've just done so many BRs together now, that we know what you like, I think..."

Yup :D

message 28: by Chris (new)

Chris | 75 comments I plan to start at the top of the "popular fantasy books" here and work down on books that look interesting since I've missed out on a ton of series. I've read the huge ones like Harry Potter, Mistborn, and Lord of the Rings, but won't read ASOIAF until they're all done, so right now..

1.American Gods: Never read Neil Gaiman, but I've seen enough praise for him that I figure I should get to it.

2.The Lightning Thief: Tentatively putting this here. I'm aware this is for a younger demographic, but it's popular for a reason and I guess I still adore Harry Potter despite getting older, so I'll probably give it a whirl.

3.The Ocean at the End of the Lane: Well guess I'll be getting into some Neil Gaiman for sure.

From reviews I'm reading, Gaiman will be branching out substantially from typical epic-type fantasies I've read. We'll see how it goes! Definitely subject to change but this will be how I determine what to read next probably unless I see a good suggestion here. Should be fun.

message 29: by Petrik (new)

Petrik (petrikleo) | 1546 comments Virginie wrote: "New Releases:

- [book:The Book of Dragons: An Anthology|483..."

HOW DARE YOU!? :P

message 30: by Virginie (last edited Jan 22, 2020 05:12AM) (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Petrik wrote: "HOW DARE YOU!? :P"

Hahaha! Don't worry, they won't steal your title! Well, mainly because they already have their own as far as I'm concerned, but 'TBR Demon Lord' is fancier than 'Timelord' or 'Ghost Knight'.

They're just sneakier than you. They come directly to my tracker, all smiles and "come read this book with us!", and the next thing I know, I've started a 10+ books series and have 3 more BRs planned.

message 31: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments Virginie wrote: "Sorcery of Thorns - recommended by Anni, Iain, Hailee and Siobhan"

..... and Zaara ;) your very first and oldest friend in this group who ALSO recommended this one AND keeps asking you for soooo many BRs...don't omit meeeeeee....(view spoiler)

Btw I'm reading Ten Thousand Doors right now...and also added Queen's Thief and Invisible Library longago.......lemme know if you wanna BR....I'd like to...more points all round....

@Beena...shall we read Book of the Ancestor together? I'd like to finally get to it this year. If agreeable, would starting in April suit you?

message 32: by Beena (new)

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments @Zaara, I'd love to! I wanted to BR them! April sounds good, how about the 15th for Red Sister? And then we can decide when to read the other two as we go?

message 33: by Beena (new)

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments but won't read ASOIAF until they're all done

@Chris, I think you'll be waiting a damn long time at this rate!

I think there's a BR for American Gods at the end of the year too...

message 34: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1769 comments Rosewater and Skyward

I have a good feeling about them.

message 35: by Virginie (new)

Virginie | 5795 comments Zaara wrote: "Virginie wrote: "Sorcery of Thorns - recommended by Anni, Iain, Hailee and Siobhan"

..... and Zaara ;) your very first and oldest friend in this group who ALSO recommended this one AND keeps askin..."

Aaah, sorry about that sweety!

Zaara wrote: "Btw I'm reading Ten Thousand Doors right now...and also added Queen's Thief and Invisible Library longago.......lemme know if you wanna BR....I'd like to...more points all round...."

Yeah, I started Ten Thousand Doors for the BR but only listened to 2 chapters... Turns out, it was too soon for a re-read, the book is still rather fresh in my memory.
About Queen's Thief... I try not to schedule BRs myself anymore, since there's a high chance I'll ditch 'em if I'm not in the mood for the book by the time the BR starts, or the opposite effect: I like the series so much I end up ignoring the schedule and binging it :p

message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1264 comments Virginie wrote: " I try not to schedule BRs myself anymore, since there's a high chance I'll ditch 'em if I'm not in the mood for the book by the time the BR starts, or the opposite effect: I like the series so much I end up ignoring the schedule and binging it :p"

OMG, this is me to a T. Even for books and series I really like and know I want to read, I get anxiety thinking about planning a BR for this reason. I'm far too much of a mood reader to be the one in charge. >_<

message 37: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1264 comments As for books I'm keen to read this year...

Network Effect
The Secret Commonwealth
Legends of the First Empire series now that the last two books are being released.

message 38: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Virginie wrote: "Now that I'm looking at the list, there's a lot of Anni & Iain recs... I often call Petrik the 'TBR Demon Lord' but those two are just as bad! :p"

Haha, oh no! She discovered our evil plan :D

message 39: by Zaara (new)

Zaara | 4197 comments Beena wrote: "@Zaara, I'd love to! I wanted to BR them! April sounds good, how about the 15th for Red Sister? And then we can decide when to read the other two as we go?"

Sounds like a plan! Will you request the thread? Or shall we just reuse the old ones in the Lawrence folder?

message 40: by Beena (new)

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments Sounds like a plan! Will you request the thread? Or shall we just reuse the old ones in the Lawrence folder?

Nah, I'll request a new thread. Looking forward to it!

message 41: by Laura Tenfingers (new)

Laura Tenfingers | 1035 comments Beena wrote: "@Zaara, I'd love to! I wanted to BR them! April sounds good, how about the 15th for Red Sister? And then we can decide when to read the other two as we go?"

I might join you for the third one 😁

message 42: by Beena (new)

Beena (beenz) | 1276 comments @Laura, Yay! :D

message 43: by Anni (new)

Anni | 5020 comments Laura Tenfingers wrote: "Beena wrote: "@Zaara, I'd love to! I wanted to BR them! April sounds good, how about the 15th for Red Sister? And then we can decide when to read the other two as we go?"

I might join you for the ..."

Me too :)

message 44: by Shae (last edited Jan 27, 2020 10:55PM) (new)

Shae | 372 comments So many new releases to look forward to in 2020! My top three for series I'm continuing:

1. The Shadow Saint: Book Two of the Black Iron Legacy - Just started this, the audio book version is truly excellent so far!
2. Shorefall - Due out around March this year.
3. The Trouble With Peace - Due out around October this year.

message 45: by Chris (new)

Chris | 75 comments Beena wrote: "but won't read ASOIAF until they're all done

@Chris, I think you'll be waiting a damn long time at this rate!

I think there's a BR for American Gods at the end of the year too..."

No kidding! I read the first a while back but no more. Maybe one day. Lol thankfully I have a ton of great books to get at in the meantime. I'll keep that in mind too! Good chance I read it before then, but if not (or if anything), I'll enjoy following the discussion.