Calvinist Batman & Friends discussion

Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1)
This topic is about Red Sister
January - Red Sister > a common theme

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Matthew Manchester (calvinistbatman) | 233 comments Mod
I've been noticing how the author has purposely chosen everything our culture sees as weak to make strength.

I just finished the whipping scene. more and more I see this weakness theme pervade & infuse the story. The theme of brokenness-->strength is usually in every epic-fantasy story, just not as much, IMO.

Amanda | 101 comments Mod
Yeah, I see it too. It makes a lot of sense with the book centering around a group of women. One of the sisters talks about how, as women, they often won't be the strongest in the fight, so they need to use other strengths. It seems right, then, that the author would be bringing out the strengths that come out of brokenness, submission, and the like.

Amanda | 101 comments Mod
As I'm thinking more about this...

The whipping scene in particular illustrates good coming out of suffering. The suffering isn't good, but it leads to a good thing for Nona. This is a very biblical concept, so it's interesting to see in a book that is religious but not specifically Christian.

Garrett Houghton | 17 comments Amanda wrote: "As I'm thinking more about this...

The whipping scene in particular illustrates good coming out of suffering. The suffering isn't good, but it leads to a good thing for Nona. This is a very biblic..."

That's a good point. Nona bears the punishment that should have been poured out on another. Very Christ-like. On top of that, her suffering for that cause leads to greater understanding of herself and the world/power around her.

As Christians we are called to suffer persecution and affliction. Through that, we are humbled, brought to greater understanding of our sin and our need for a savior, and ultimately sanctified. The daily walk of sanctification is not unlike "walking the Path".

Matthew Manchester (calvinistbatman) | 233 comments Mod
Garrett wrote: "The daily walk of sanctification is not unlike "walking the Path". "

We are all like Nona or Hessa. At best, we can barely touch The Path, else we are lame and can't even practice walking it.

Thomas Weaver | 24 comments I noticed a similar theme to this in chapter 24 after the whipping scene. Sister Wheel says to Nona,

“You’re thinking it might be you who’s the Argatha. Well, it’s not. Nothing good ever came out of the Grey: only broken things. Peasants and lies. The Argatha is sent to save us! Will she be a golden princess of the emperor’s own bloodline? Or an urchin taken from under the shadow of the noose? Which do you think? Really?”

Reminded me of the way people saw Christ when he was on earth. Really powerful themes throughout this book.

Thomas Weaver | 24 comments ^really powerful themes *