Norwescon discussion

Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate, #1)
This topic is about Velocity Weapon
2020 P.K. Dick Nominees > Velocity Weapon by Megan E. O'Keefe

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael Hanscom (djwudi) | 137 comments Mod
Have you read this nominated work? Tell us what you thought!

Shelley George | 23 comments LOVE IT!
Hard Science, Space Opera, Good Characters.
My kind of scifi.
A bit like Honor Harrington but more personal.
Can't wait for the next installment.

message 3: by Michael, NWC Goodreads Group Admin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Michael Hanscom (djwudi) | 137 comments Mod
Good grand scope space opera, with neat questions on consciousness and the psychology of AI as used in ships of war. Figured out many of the reveals quickly, and it took a _long_ time to pull the third thread into the main picture, but still quite a good read.

message 4: by Leslie (last edited Mar 26, 2020 06:22PM) (new)

Leslie | 7 comments Not in love with this book. Fell asleep a couple of time during the first 4 chapters, then it picked up a bit. Around Chapter 38 I wondered if I'd finish it, but, since each chapter is relatively short, decided to slog through. The last 3rd of the book moved better, but I'm not satisfied with the ending--but maybe this is to be the first of a trilogy or series?
I don't recommend this one for any but hard-core sci-fi (not fantasy) fans.
Oh, & BTW, I noted the use of "they" as a personal pronoun for one of the characters, & found it jarring. I've already been slammed in other places for saying I wish we could come up with a better singular pronoun for non-binary people (I have friends who prefer they & do use it, it just seems clumsy & I don't think it's fair to blast me for suggesting that there might be a more felicitous word choice.)