Start by marking “Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate, #1)” as Want to Read:
Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate, #1)

Velocity Weapon

(The Protectorate #1)

Dazzling space battles, intergalactic politics, and rogue AI collide in Velocity Weapon, the first book in this epic space opera by award-winning author Megan O'Keefe.

Sanda and Biran Greeve were siblings destined for greatness. A high-flying sergeant, Sanda has the skills to take down any enemy combatant. Biran is a savvy politician who aims to use his new political positi
Published June 11th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Velocity Weapon, please sign up.
Roland Haller Hello Isabel, I think I can help here a little. Your confusion comes from a misunderstanding of the word "they" that is not plural by itself but neutr…moreHello Isabel, I think I can help here a little. Your confusion comes from a misunderstanding of the word "they" that is not plural by itself but neutral. Singular they is the use in English of the pronoun they or its inflected or derivative forms, them, their, theirs, and themselves (or themself), as an epicene (gender-neutral) singular pronoun. It typically occurs with an unspecified antecedent, as in sentences such as:

"Somebody left their umbrella in the office. Would they please collect it?"[1]
"The patient should be told at the outset how much they will be required to pay."[2]
"But a journalist should not be forced to reveal their sources."
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singula...)

So actually we use They as a plural pronoun, not because it is so, but because the plurality of individual makes it a neutral group. Cool right!?

But I agree that this sudden rise in frequency of use get some getting used to.

I do like that there is a pronoun for inanimate objects: It, for feminine and masculine entities: She and He, and also for gender unspecified entities: They.

I imagine than in some sci-fi with aliens with a plurality of sexual biological variations like a story based on coho salmon for example (lol), would develop then additional pronouns. I'd like to read that. ^^

Ps: Cool read on multiple gender structured animal societal structures.
https://tinyurl.com/genderedsocieties (less)
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Rain My own guess is that the destination of a gate is not clear until it is built. Or.. The destination point may have been inhabited by the ancient alien…moreMy own guess is that the destination of a gate is not clear until it is built. Or.. The destination point may have been inhabited by the ancient alien original gate-builders but like their civilisation has long since gone. Or, . There is potential to build a through-gate with a station to somewhere else. (less)

Start your review of Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate, #1)
Petrik
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Space Opera fans
ARC provided by the publisher—Orbit—in exchange for an honest review

An incredibly entertaining start to a new space opera series.

Velocity Weapon is the first book in The Protectorate series by Megan E. O’Keefe. This was my first experience reading O’Keefe’s work and I had a fantastic time with it. isn’t an easy book for me to review. It’s not because I found the book to be disappointing or not up to my preference, but I honestly think that many components of the storyline or what makes this boo
Emma
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it

I can’t remember the last time I read a book that got me with so many ‘Excuse, me, WHAT?’ moments. This is one tricksy author. And she’s put together more than just a well crafted story, it’s a genuinely fun reading experience that has you smiling at your own shock as much as what’s happening on the page. And therein lies the problem for any kind of review, because you really don’t want to be spoiled by any of the specifics before you start. Even more so than usual I mean. This is the k
Nils | nilsreviewsit
‘Ada Prime’s Casimir Gate filled the sky. Only from this position, she thought, can one truly appreciate the gate’s beauty. It was massive beyond her ability to articulate — even Keeper Station, so large it housed hundreds of thousands, barely managed to eclipse a small stretch of the ring that was the frame of the gate. The light of it had always been Ada’s guiding star.’
~
Velocity Weapon is the first book in the Protectorate series by Megan O’Keefe. Hailed as a book that will provide ‘dazzling
Peter Tillman
This one started out well, but . . . . kind of tailed off, like she had run out of ideas? And I didn't really connect with any of the characters except the ship AI. Which is pretty cool. But, 500+ pages! For Book #1 of a new series, by a new author!

I'd read something else by her, after she gets her writing chops down, but I gave up on this one about 1/4 in. If you are thinking about reading it, I'd suggest reading some of the other 2 and 3-star reviews. My rating: 2.5 stars for what I read, rou
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
Video Review: https://youtu.be/dz0GG6yuIJs

As someone obsessed with space opera, I was eager to read Velocity Weapon, the first book in a brand new space opera series. My excitement only grew when I learned that it was written by a female author with a predominant female protagonist. Further to that, this novel shares the same publisher as my all time favourite science fiction series, The Expanse. Needless to say, my expectations when picking up this new release were incredibly high. No
Niki Hawkes - The Obsessive Bookseller
[3.5/5 stars] Overall, Velocity Weapon was an entertaining read. Probably in the upper half of scifi novels I’ve read lately. It’s very character-driven and political, involving two worlds on the brink of war. I appreciated the slightly more complex ideas and thought the non-human characters were handled especially well. I also liked the initial suspense – it had a lot of interesting and dynamic plot points to keep the pages turning. If I can say nothing else about the book, it was consistent fr ...more
Laura (crofteereader)
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the free ebook! All thoughts/opinions are my own.

It's best to consider this book based on the three perspective characters we follow: Sanda (arguably the main character), Biran (Sanda's brother and a secondary force in her storyline), and Jules (off on her own and completely separate from the rest of the story).

Sanda, despite being a military officer, is rather undisciplined and not particularly believable in that capacity. As a person and the hero o
Jessica Draper
Nov 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
More half-baked than hard SF.

So, it turns out that the technology that would be at the very heart of the story in a classic hard-SF novel doesn't have much to do with how things actually play out in this one (strange that the book was categorized as military or hard SF in the first place).

The star-gate plans so valuable that they're split up into bio-chips implanted in multiple "Keepers" are just a classic McGuffin. Ms. O'Keefe doesn't care how the Casimir Gates work, and it matters not the sli
Liz Barnsley
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I inhaled Velocity Weapon in a few hours, it was so much fun, also brilliantly written, dark and beautiful and a rollicking good adventure.
Sanda is a purely wonderful character, having woken up on an intelligent ship years into the future, everyone lost to her. Said ship Bero is a melancholy companion, a kind of virtual Eeyore, their growing relationship is compellingly clever.
Meanwhile back before Bero, Sanda’s brother searches for her…
I loved all the many layers to Velocity Weapon, it is a pro
Kitty G Books
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: space-opera-sept
This is a story I picked up on recommendations from friends on Twitter and as part of Space Opera September, and I am very glad that I have discovered a new author who I really enjoy, who is female, and who writes awesome books. I tend to favour fantasy over sci fi, but this is great and I found lots to love in the characters and the plot of this.

In this story we follow a few PoV characters, but the main ones are Sanda and Biran Greeve, one is a Sergeant in the army and the other is a Keeper of
Veronique
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2019, stars-4-0, scifi
Very cinematographic read, full of twists and turns!

The narration is divided mostly between the siblings, gunnery sergeant Sanda stranded alone on an enemy ship controlled by an AI with attitude some 230 years in the future, and her brother Biran, in the present, who tries everything he can, now that he has just joined the powerful Keepers, to find out what happened to his sister and save her.

O’Keefe serves up a real space opera, full of action, yes, but also charismatic characters. Sanda and
Kelsea
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Update upon reread: somehow, even more awesome than I remembered! Can’t WAIT to dive into Chaos Vector next!!

____________________________________________________________

New favorite: ACQUIRED. This book was a whirlwind of plot twists, adventure, interesting characters, politicking, and AWESOME. I loved the diversity (disabled MC, siblings raised by two dads, etc.), the sibling relationship, the sentient ship, the epic story scope, and all of the TWISTS! Yes, I’ve mentioned the twists twice, beca
Lindsay
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gunnery Sergeant Sanda Greeve wakes up on an enemy ship, alone, naked and missing a leg. The shocks don't stop there, as the ship she's on is controlled by an AI who tells her that she's slept for two hundred and thirty years and both her civilization of Ada Prime and the enemy civilization of Icarion that the ship is from have both been destroyed in the war between them.

In an alternate story thread in the distant past, Sanda's brother Biren has just found out that Sanda has been lost in a space
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/07/25/...

Velocity Weapon by Megan E. O’Keefe was a book I picked up on a recommendation from several reviewers whose descriptions of the book sounded like something I would really love—and I’m glad I decided to check it out! As space operas go, it was highly entertaining with some fantastic character development and world-building, and I couldn’t have asked for more.

As the story opens, our protagonist Gunnery Sergeant Sanda Greeves
Allison Hurd
It is NOT easy to do twists. Either they're super obvious, or the "twist" is that no one could have possibly figured it out because it relies on something the audience couldn't have known. This book though had like 4 twists that I didn't see coming and blew my mind.

CONTENT WARNING: (view spoiler)

Things to love:

- The technical skill. I felt that overall this kept up the pace. There was one side story that slowed th
Adam
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rogue AI!
Plot twist after plot twist after plot twist!
Interstellar, centuries-old mysteries!
Smart characters doing lots of action-y things!
Spies and politics!
MC with a disability!
A maintenance robot friend!
VELOOOOCCIIIIITTTYYYYYYYYYYY
WWWEEEEAAAAPPPOOOOONNNN
Kate
Hugely enjoyable space opera, with fantastic worldbuilding, some great characters and an intriguing starship AI. I really enjoyed the way in which the novel develops - it's twisty and exciting - and while there is a dark foreboding over much of the events, it's also light and fun. I loved Sanda. What a brilliant main character! Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights. ...more
Terry
Jul 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great sci-fi action story. Can’t wait to read book 2.
Trike
Almost 5 stars, 3 because it just stops rather than come to a satisfying conclusion, with none of the stories having any resolution at all. I suspect once all is said and done this will be a terrific story, but as it stands this is merely the first part. Waiting a year or more for the next installment is annoying. If only she had finished one of the many threads here I would’ve been more pleased.

That said, what is here is terrific. It feels like classic Niven with smart, capable people doing coo
Tim Hicks
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
All the time I was reading this I was thinking three stars, but in the end I'm giving two. Not because of the "oh, did you think there wouldn't be more volumes?" ending, just from a general feeling of dissatisfaction.

Early on I read "gunnery sergeant"and I thought "oh no, not another ridiculously capable female gunny" because there are so many such books out there, all military procedure and pompous officers. But to her credit, O'Keefe didn't go there. Sanda is good but credible.

Sanda's brothe
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
This book was a beast of a read. Took me forever to get through it but mainly because I was a bit too busy I read for about a week.

It’s a great first book in a series. Or maybe part of a duo? Not sure but it’s thrilling and so interesting and I was lost within the pages every time I was reading.

This book is written in multi-points of view over different times - the past and the present. And the story has multiple threads that weave in and out of each other, that at first I was put a bit off. I
Lata
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Did you ever fall in love with a dangerous, somewhat murderous sentient spaceship suffering from trauma? Well, I did, and his name is The Light of Berossus, Bero to his friends.

Or friend, who in this case is Sanda Greeve, gunnery sergeant. Sanda's on board Bero, who tells her it's a few hundred years after a conflict between Ada, her home planet, and Icaria. She's lost everyone she cares for: her younger brother Biran and her two fathers.

This space opera moves fast, and serves up lot
Holly (The GrimDragon)
"Fuck."

"You say that a lot, Sanda."

"It's a fuck-y kind of day, Bero."

Velocity Weapon is the first book in The Protectorate series by Megan E. O'Keefe.

Stars smiled on me as I unhinged my jaw and devoured this glorious space opera!

Taking place roughly 1500 years in the future, Velocity Weapon follows three point of views during the aftermath of an attack on an Ada Prime fleet by rivals from Icarion, a neighboring planet.

In a spaceship far, far away awakes Gunnery Sergeant Sanda Greeve. Naked, alon
Acqua
Aug 30, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
I really couldn’t get into this. While Sanda’s storyline was – as far as I read – straightforward enough and easy to follow, the book is made of really short chapters, and between two Sanda chapters you always get one or more set “before”, following other characters. I understood nothing of what happened in those. My threshold for putting up with initially confusing worldbuilding and fictional societies in adult sci-fi usually isn't this low, but nothing about this book made me think the effort ...more
Andy
Apr 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I enjoy books from authors who have a story to tell, generally someone who has lived a bit, done lots of exciting things, has particular expertise in whatever. When I started Velocity Weapon by Megan O'Keefe, a young journalist writing Space Opera, I thought 'what could go wrong here' and hoped the story would at least be entertaining.
The only thing that went wrong was my original perception. Megan has written an epic in a difficult genre with plenty of great ideas, exciting story line and a rea
Faith
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was the wrong audience for this book because I am not usually a fan of space opera, and I abandoned this book at the 35% mark, soon after Sanda made one too many references to Tomas’s dimples. Up to that point, I had been given very little description of what this world looked like or felt like, and the political structure was very unclear. All of this might improve later in the book, but I wasn’t interested enough to keep going. I did skip to the end and discovered that the book ends with a c ...more
Mareike
Jan 07, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
3.5

This book had so many twists it made my head spin a little. I enjoyed most of them (especially the ones I didn’t see coming), but at one point, it felt like a little too much of the story was hinging only on these twists.

I still enjoyed the book and found (view spoiler)
julia ☆ [owls reads]
Mar 01, 2022 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Velocity Weapon came highly recommended to me by a friend and I am very happy to say I had such a wonderful time reading this! The story captured my attention right from the beginning and I loved how the initial conflict was set up with Sanda and Biran and what happened to put them both in such drastically different situations. I was so fascinated by this world that I read pretty much half the novel in one sitting.

The writing was wonderful and I liked how the pace mostly held steady throughout t
Katy
Apr 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi_2021

look at me adding another emotional support psychopathic AI to my collection uwu
Eva
Aug 11, 2021 rated it really liked it
I loved it - a solid 4 stars. While a few cliffhanger chapter endings followed by huge POV and time/place shifts were a bit frustrating, I did love the characters and grew attached to all of them.

The pacing was very fast and the tension was always high - which actually was a tiny detriment since the book is quite long. In longer books, I appreciate getting more downtime with some calm and relaxed chapters. And some of the chapter endings felt too much like TV series cliffhangers to me, somethin

• The Exiled Fleet (The Divide, #2)
  • The Last Watch (The Divide, #1)
  • Nophek Gloss (The Graven, #1)
  • Artifact Space
  • Shards of Earth (The Final Architecture, #1)
  • The Scavenger Door (Finder Chronicles #3)
  • Azura Ghost (The Graven, #2)
  • Engines of Oblivion (The Memory War, #2)
  • Light Chaser
  • Elder Race
  • Driving the Deep (Finder Chronicles, #2)
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • Architects of Memory (The Memory War, #1)
  • The Kaiju Preservation Society
  • Inhibitor Phase
  • Far from the Light of Heaven
  • Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, #6)
  • The Worst of All Possible Worlds (The Salvagers, #3)
See top shelves…
Megan E. O'Keefe was raised amongst journalists, and as soon as she was able joined them by crafting a newsletter which chronicled the daily adventures of the local cat population. She has worked in both arts management and graphic design, and spends her free time tinkering with anything she can get her hands on.

Megan lives in the Bay Area of California. She's won the Gemmell Morningstar Award for

The Protectorate (3 books)
  • Chaos Vector (The Protectorate, #2)
  • Catalyst Gate (The Protectorate, #3)

Articles featuring this book

“Being offended by facts is a long human tradition.” 3 likes
“Accidents of geography: setting perfectly ordinary people at one another’s throats since the Stone Age.” 1 likes