Start by marking “Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)” as Want to Read:
Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)

Velocity Weapon

(The Protectorate #1)

Dazzling space battles, intergalactic politics, and rogue AI collide in Velocity Weapon, the first book in this epic space opera by award-winning author Megan O'Keefe.

Sanda and Biran Greeve were siblings destined for greatness. A high-flying sergeant, Sanda has the skills to take down any enemy combatant. Biran is a savvy politician who aims to use his new political positi
Published June 11th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about Velocity Weapon, please sign up.
Roland Haller Hello Isabel, I think I can help here a little. Your confusion comes from a misunderstanding of the word "they" that is not plural by itself but neutr…moreHello Isabel, I think I can help here a little. Your confusion comes from a misunderstanding of the word "they" that is not plural by itself but neutral. Singular they is the use in English of the pronoun they or its inflected or derivative forms, them, their, theirs, and themselves (or themself), as an epicene (gender-neutral) singular pronoun. It typically occurs with an unspecified antecedent, as in sentences such as:

"Somebody left their umbrella in the office. Would they please collect it?"[1]
"The patient should be told at the outset how much they will be required to pay."[2]
"But a journalist should not be forced to reveal their sources."
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singula...)

So actually we use They as a plural pronoun, not because it is so, but because the plurality of individual makes it a neutral group. Cool right!?

But I agree that this sudden rise in frequency of use get some getting used to.

I do like that there is a pronoun for inanimate objects: It, for feminine and masculine entities: She and He, and also for gender unspecified entities: They.

I imagine than in some sci-fi with aliens with a plurality of sexual biological variations like a story based on coho salmon for example (lol), would develop then additional pronouns. I'd like to read that. ^^

Ps: Cool read on multiple gender structured animal societal structures.
https://tinyurl.com/genderedsocieties (less)

Start your review of Velocity Weapon (The Protectorate #1)
Petrik
May 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Space Opera fans
ARC provided by the publisher—Orbit—in exchange for an honest review

An incredibly entertaining start to a new space opera series.

Velocity Weapon is the first book in The Protectorate series by Megan E. O’Keefe. This was my first experience reading O’Keefe’s work and I had a fantastic time with it. isn’t an easy book for me to review. It’s not because I found the book to be disappointing or not up to my preference, but I honestly think that many components of the storyline or what makes this boo
Emma
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it

I can’t remember the last time I read a book that got me with so many ‘Excuse, me, WHAT?’ moments. This is one tricksy author. And she’s put together more than just a well crafted story, it’s a genuinely fun reading experience that has you smiling at your own shock as much as what’s happening on the page. And therein lies the problem for any kind of review, because you really don’t want to be spoiled by any of the specifics before you start. Even more so than usual I mean. This is the k
Nils | nilsreviewsit
‘Ada Prime’s Casimir Gate filled the sky. Only from this position, she thought, can one truly appreciate the gate’s beauty. It was massive beyond her ability to articulate — even Keeper Station, so large it housed hundreds of thousands, barely managed to eclipse a small stretch of the ring that was the frame of the gate. The light of it had always been Ada’s guiding star.’
~
Velocity Weapon is the first book in the Protectorate series by Megan O’Keefe. Hailed as a book that will provide ‘dazzling
Liz Barnsley
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I inhaled Velocity Weapon in a few hours, it was so much fun, also brilliantly written, dark and beautiful and a rollicking good adventure.
Sanda is a purely wonderful character, having woken up on an intelligent ship years into the future, everyone lost to her. Said ship Bero is a melancholy companion, a kind of virtual Eeyore, their growing relationship is compellingly clever.
Meanwhile back before Bero, Sanda’s brother searches for her…
I loved all the many layers to Velocity Weapon, it is a pro
Peter Tillman
This one started out well, but . . . . kind of tailed off, like she had run out of ideas? And I didn't really connect with any of the characters except the ship AI. Which is pretty cool. But, 500+ pages! For Book #1 of a new series, by a new author!

I'd read something else by her, after she gets her writing chops down, but I gave up on this one about 1/4 in. If you are thinking about reading it, I'd suggest reading some of the other 2 and 3-star reviews. My rating: 2.5 stars for what I read, rou
Veronique
Jun 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: r2019, stars-4-0, scifi
Very cinematographic read, full of twists and turns!

The narration is divided mostly between the siblings, gunnery sergeant Sanda stranded alone on an enemy ship controlled by an AI with attitude some 230 years in the future, and her brother Biran, in the present, who tries everything he can, now that he has just joined the powerful Keepers, to find out what happened to his sister and save her.

O’Keefe serves up a real space opera, full of action, yes, but also charismatic characters. Sanda and
Adam
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Rogue AI!
Plot twist after plot twist after plot twist!
Interstellar, centuries-old mysteries!
Smart characters doing lots of action-y things!
Spies and politics!
MC with a disability!
A maintenance robot friend!
VELOOOOCCIIIIITTTYYYYYYYYYYY
WWWEEEEAAAAPPPOOOOONNNN
Kelsea
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, arc
New favorite: ACQUIRED. This book was a whirlwind of plot twists, adventure, interesting characters, politicking, and AWESOME. I loved the diversity (disabled MC, siblings raised by two dads, etc.), the sibling relationship, the sentient ship, the epic story scope, and all of the TWISTS! Yes, I’ve mentioned the twists twice, because they really made the book for me.

I love pretty much everything about Sanda. Her grief at finding herself aboard a sentient enemy ship, the sole survivor of a war, wa
Lindsay
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gunnery Sergeant Sanda Greeve wakes up on an enemy ship, alone, naked and missing a leg. The shocks don't stop there, as the ship she's on is controlled by an AI who tells her that she's slept for two hundred and thirty years and both her civilization of Ada Prime and the enemy civilization of Icarion that the ship is from have both been destroyed in the war between them.

In an alternate story thread in the distant past, Sanda's brother Biren has just found out that Sanda has been lost in a space
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Jul 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/07/25/...

Velocity Weapon by Megan E. O’Keefe was a book I picked up on a recommendation from several reviewers whose descriptions of the book sounded like something I would really love—and I’m glad I decided to check it out! As space operas go, it was highly entertaining with some fantastic character development and world-building, and I couldn’t have asked for more.

As the story opens, our protagonist Gunnery Sergeant Sanda Greeves
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
3.5 Stars
Video Review: https://youtu.be/dz0GG6yuIJs

As someone obsessed with space opera, I was eager to read Velocity Weapon, the first book in a brand new space opera series. My excitement only grew when I learned that it was written by a female author with a predominant female protagonist. Further to that, this novel shares the same publisher as my all time favourite science fiction series, The Expanse. Needless to say, my expectations when picking up this new release were incredibly high. No
Kate
Hugely enjoyable space opera, with fantastic worldbuilding, some great characters and an intriguing starship AI. I really enjoyed the way in which the novel develops - it's twisty and exciting - and while there is a dark foreboding over much of the events, it's also light and fun. I loved Sanda. What a brilliant main character! Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Laura (crofteereader)
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the free ebook! All thoughts/opinions are my own.

It's best to consider this book based on the three perspective characters we follow: Sanda (arguably the main character), Biran (Sanda's brother and a secondary force in her storyline), and Jules (off on her own and completely separate from the rest of the story).

Sanda, despite being a military officer, is rather undisciplined and not particularly believable in that capacity. As a person and the hero o
Lisa (A Life Bound By Books)
This book was a beast of a read. Took me forever to get through it but mainly because I was a bit too busy I read for about a week.

It’s a great first book in a series. Or maybe part of a duo? Not sure but it’s thrilling and so interesting and I was lost within the pages every time I was reading.

This book is written in multi-points of view over different times - the past and the present. And the story has multiple threads that weave in and out of each other, that at first I was put a bit off. I
Justine
Jul 01, 2019 marked it as put-aside-for-now
I'm putting this aside for now at 18%. I'm not ready to completely DNF it, but I'm just not feeling it at the moment. I'm pretty sure that this is on me though, and not the book, so I'll probably give it another go sometime later.
Lata
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. Did you ever fall in love with a dangerous, somewhat murderous sentient spaceship suffering from trauma? Well, I did, and his name is The Light of Berossus, Bero to his friends.

Or friend, who in this case is Sanda Greeve, gunnery sergeant. Sanda's on board Bero, who tells her it's a few hundred years after a conflict between Ada, her home planet, and Icaria. She's lost everyone she cares for: her younger brother Biran and her two fathers.

This space opera moves fast, and serves up lot
Acqua
Aug 30, 2019 marked it as dnf-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
I really couldn’t get into this. While Sanda’s storyline was – as far as I read – straightforward enough and easy to follow, the book is made of really short chapters, and between two Sanda chapters you always get one or more set “before”, following other characters. I understood nothing of what happened in those. My threshold for putting up with initially confusing worldbuilding and fictional societies in adult sci-fi usually isn't this low, but nothing about this book made me think the effort ...more
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"Fuck."

"You say that a lot, Sanda."

"It's a fuck-y kind of day, Bero."

Velocity Weapon is the first book in The Protectorate series by Megan E. O'Keefe.

Stars smiled on me as I unhinged my jaw and devoured this glorious space opera!

Taking place roughly 1500 years in the future, Velocity Weapon follows three point of views during the aftermath of an attack on an Ada Prime fleet by rivals from Icarion, a neighboring planet.

In a spaceship far, far away awakes Gunnery Sergeant Sanda Greeve. Naked, alon
Nicole
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
DNF @ 44%

I tried with this book. I really tried. I wanted to like it, I wanted to at least finish it. But I just don't care about the characters enough to keep reading.

I enjoyed the concept and the worldbuilding, which is why I read as much as I did and why I'm giving this a 2 star rating regardless of the fact that I'm not finishing it. I think this story has merit, but I also think it's not for me. My favorite books are those where I connect with the characters in some way, and so their storie
Trike
Almost 5 stars, 3 because it just stops rather than come to a satisfying conclusion, with none of the stories having any resolution at all. I suspect once all is said and done this will be a terrific story, but as it stands this is merely the first part. Waiting a year or more for the next installment is annoying. If only she had finished one of the many threads here I would’ve been more pleased.

That said, what is here is terrific. It feels like classic Niven with smart, capable people doing coo
Paul
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Velocity Weapon is a fast-paced three-act play of intrigue, moral ambiguity, and science fiction fun. It contains everything I look for in Scifi… a future that is futuristic in every way: Tech, culture, and space. O’Keefe has real talent for describing spacey stuff with everyday metaphors, easy ways of explaining things to laymen like me.

Highly Recommended for fans of space operas. This one is very good and deserves great praise. I grabbed ahold of this book and for two day, I didn’t let go.

Faith
Jul 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was the wrong audience for this book because I am not usually a fan of space opera, and I abandoned this book at the 35% mark, soon after Sanda made one too many references to Tomas’s dimples. Up to that point, I had been given very little description of what this world looked like or felt like, and the political structure was very unclear. All of this might improve later in the book, but I wasn’t interested enough to keep going. I did skip to the end and discovered that the book ends with a c ...more
Vigasia
May 09, 2020 rated it liked it
3,5 stars

This book kept me interested from start to finish. It has some interesting ideas and a few twist and turns that can catch us off guard. I think it could be a little shorter, because some chapters were mostly fillers. Characters were likeable, but I haven't felt a special connection with any of them and probably that disturbed a little my enjoyment. But I will continue with the series, because I am courious what will happen next.
Ron
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is an extremely fun, space opera with a fast pace that is maintained throughout 500+ pages. I really enjoyed all the POV characters, but especially the interaction between Sanda the stranded Gunnery ship pilot and Bero the A.I. of the enemy ship she is stranded on. I also enjoyed the treatment of Sanda's disability as something that needed to be dealt with, but not as something that she would allow to hold her back. The other POVs were interesting too, but it wasn't clear how all those stor ...more
Jeanny
Jun 30, 2019 rated it did not like it
Audible version. The book was well written & the narrator did a decent enough job but I couldn’t get into this book. The only character that interested me was the spaceship Bero. I was completely uninterested in the Aliens species, the humans, or politics at play. The story arc just fell flat bc I couldn’t muster up any interest one way or another. Will not be reading the next book.
DNF 50% skipped ahead to the final chapters & it ends in a cliffhanger.

1 Yawn inducing star ⭐️
Ashley
Jul 19, 2019 marked it as dnf
DNF at 43%.

It was a good book but way too long, and got boring as a result. It was a really interesting concept and honestly, I am very very interested to find out how it ends, but it was taking way too long to get there. At times it felt like the plot wasn't moving forward at all.
Tracy
I loved this. Mostly I loved Sanda. From the moment she wakes up in an empty medical bay, until the final moment when Bero disappears. Sanda is smart, tough and really wonderful. I found it took me a while to warm up to the other characters, I found Biran just a little too smooth at first, total politician but he really grew on me. I also found Jules’ story a bit puzzling, I wasn’t sure what was happening there although by the end I was rooting for her too...I can’t wait to find out how her stor ...more
Christine Sandquist (eriophora)
This review and others can be read on my blog, Black Forest Basilisks.

"In the upper right of her HUD, text flashed: :-P
"Oh my god. They taught you emoticons."
"I had access to the in-system internet."
"Of course you did. Because what better way to introduce a newly created intelligence to the world than through cat pictures and terrible puns."
"I rather enjoyed the puns."
"But not the cat pictures?"
"May I ask you an embarrassing question, Sanda?"
"Those are my favorite kind."
"Are cats... real?"

Where
Tim Hicks
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
All the time I was reading this I was thinking three stars, but in the end I'm giving two. Not because of the "oh, did you think there wouldn't be more volumes?" ending, just from a general feeling of dissatisfaction.

Early on I read "gunnery sergeant"and I thought "oh no, not another ridiculously capable female gunny" because there are so many such books out there, all military procedure and pompous officers. But to her credit, O'Keefe didn't go there. Sanda is good but credible.

Sanda's brothe
Sana
Feb 28, 2019 marked it as anti-library
I've yet to read this author's first series but I'm too damn excited for this one (a life story, TBH) because TRAGEDY SIBLINGS AND TIME TRAVEL
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Sci-Fi Indonesia: Buddy Read: Velocity Weapon (1 Agustus 2020) 13 10 Aug 10, 2020 04:11AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page numbers 6 25 Apr 06, 2020 12:50AM
Norwescon: Velocity Weapon by Megan E. O'Keefe 4 10 Mar 26, 2020 06:08PM

• The Outside
  • Light of Impossible Stars (Embers of War, #3)
  • Ancestral Night (White Space #1)
  • Cry Pilot (Cry Pilot, #1)
  • The Last Astronaut
  • The Cruel Stars (The Cruel Stars, #1)
  • Sixteenth Watch
  • Fleet of Knives (Embers of War, #2)
  • A Memory Called Empire (Teixcalaan #1)
  • Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5)
  • Empress of Forever
  • A Pale Light in the Black (NeoG #1)
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • The Last Emperox (The Interdependency, #3)
  • Down Among the Dead (The Farian War #2)
  • Bone Silence (Revenger, #3)
  • Burn Cycle (Cry Pilot #2)
  • Silver (Inverted Frontier #2)
Megan E. O'Keefe was raised amongst journalists, and as soon as she was able joined them by crafting a newsletter which chronicled the daily adventures of the local cat population. She has worked in both arts management and graphic design, and spends her free time tinkering with anything she can get her hands on.

Megan lives in the Bay Area of California. She's won the Gemmell Morningstar Award for

The Protectorate (2 books)
  • Chaos Vector (The Protectorate, #2)