A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1) A Court of Thorns and Roses discussion

Does this book get better?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tish (new) - added it

Tish  Fish I am listening to the audiobook for A Court of Thorns and Roses, so far it has been one of the most painful listening experiences I have endured. I find it incredibly dull and I don’t care about any of the characters, it feels like a chore even to listen to. I am about 6-7 hours into the audiobook. To give you an idea of where I am up to, the last major plot point was when a faerie died after his were cut off. Can someone tell me if this book gets better from around this point? I really wanted to like this book, but I am considering abandoning it and never looking back, but if good things are to come then I might be motivated to continue with it.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy I worked through my initial dislike of this book to get to the later ones, because I was told they get better and I had a friend who really enjoyed them. I wanted to be able to talk to them about it. Looking back though, I'd say I would've been fine with abandoning it. The series does get slightly* better about 1/4 through the second book. If you liked Cruel Prince by Holly Black, I'd stick with that series over this one.

message 3: by Tish (new) - added it

Tish  Fish Thanks. :)
The Cruel Prince was a book I thought I wouldn’t like but I gave it a go and ended up really enjoying it, so I thought it would be a similar thing with A Court of Thorns & Roses. I have 10 hours left to go and I be couldn’t less excited about it. It’s a 16 hour audiobook so I feel like something should happen in that time to get me invested in the story so if I abandon it now I will miss it...or I could just listen to The Cruel Prince again.

Gaby Habchy I personally read the first book and felt that there were so many cringey moments something must have been wrong, till I read the second book, which is far more interesting than the first.
so I suggest since you're already close to finishing a court of thrones and roses to stick to the series because it does get better, a court of mist and fury was a delight to read.

Tara This series is one of the best series I've read and I definitely think it's worth continuing. The audiobook is not the best I've heard which may be your issue, it's a better physical read and people people can read faster on their own in the their head than someone can out loud so that's speeds things up a lot.

Victoria Beke Gaby wrote: "I personally read the first book and felt that there were so many cringey moments something must have been wrong, till I read the second book, which is far more interesting than the first.
so I sug..."

I had mixed feelings about ACOTAR, but my plan is to read the next book, and see if Maas’s writing gets stronger. I really hope so, because despite the way it’s written, there is a LOT of opportunity for something much better than the first book, and despite the fluffy plot and underdeveloped characters, Maas is rather articulate in developing the setting and lore.

Gaby Habchy Victoria wrote: "Gaby wrote: "I personally read the first book and felt that there were so many cringey moments something must have been wrong, till I read the second book, which is far more interesting than the fi..."

I completely agree with you, and Yes, much more character development and action in the second book.

message 8: by My (new) - rated it 1 star

My No it dosent i kinda liked the first one but the second i couldent finish i absolut hate the serie and Got so mad and Think the autor just ruined...

Coley This was the best series I have read. It was adult enough. She had a different way of looking at the world. Watching her grow was a pleasure. When you get to meet the others, they are hilarious. I loved their dynamic so much so I would love to watch this in movie format.

message 10: by Cam (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cam Luong I finished the series the other day, so don't mind me if I'm a bit biased because what's not my cup of tea may be something absolutely fabulous for you. SO I DON'T WANT TO YUCK YOUR YUM. Buuuuuuut, if I'm being real, I didn't enjoy the series very much and I lowkey wished I didn't invest my time in reading it because THE BOOKS ARE THICK!! The first book is EXTREMELY BORING in like the first three quarters. The last quarter makes up for it a bit because it's a lot more action-packed and Feyre actually has a goal in the story; time isn't just painfully dragged on for the sake of filler. But if you really do like Maas's writing, I think you should continue because the second book gets a lot more exciting than the first. However, in my case, I learned to absolutely despise her writing, first with Throne of Glass, and now with ACOTAR. So those are my thoughts, but it's ultimately your decision :).

message 11: by Ingeborg (last edited Apr 21, 2020 01:56AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ingeborg disclaimer: giving my opinion as someone who also didn't like the book much. If it's your thing, I fully support that!

Honestly, no, not really. The first 2/3s of the book are really boring, and the last third or so is much more action packed, but also REALLY ridiculous. It could be worth listening to the ending just because it does feel like a completely different book in both pacing and plot, but I wouldn't say it gets better, just a different kind of bad.

Vanessa I actually really enjoyed this book... and yeah the first book was quite boring and rough, but towards the end of it it gets waaay better. The second and third book of the series is in sooo many ways sooooooo much better, 'cause there is a lot of character developing going on and everything is being developed. Buuut also the beginning of the second book was not the best, but it was alright and it took a bit of time for everything to be developed in a better way, soo if you also begin to struggle in the beginning of the second book, PLEASE DON'T GIVE UP, it gets soooo much better. Now it's even one of my fav series'.

message 13: by Rin55 (new)

Rin55 I'm sorry to say, but it doesn't. I DNFed at 70%. I wasn't even looking for something good. It would have been fine if it was average. But this was literally so horribly bad it made me mad.

becky umm... YES!!!! It's soooo good

Cassie    'The Thinker Go Go Go Go' Mis. Roben Goodfellow'\Isabelle Lightwood Personally I read this a while back in paperback, and loved it. While it starts out a bit dull it does pick up. Although that's more towards the ending of it. But also having listened to auto books before, could it just be the speaker that's making you dislike it? Seeing as that's happened to me. I want to like it- think I may like it- but just can't like it because of whose doing the reading.