Fans of Interracial Romance discussion

Specific IR Book Talk > looking for realistic subtle IR books

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julia971 (new)

Julia971 | 71 comments Hello,

I apologize in advance for my english, it's not my first language.

I am looking for a realistic, subtle, ennemies to lovers (if possible) IR book. I wan't the meeting and the falling in love to be natural, with its realistic flaws and unknown factors, not some kind of unrealistic force or too obvious sexual tension drawing them together. I would prefer it without insta love and insta sex, and I would like for the sex not to be over the top (since it's realistic) and not read about people having mindblowing orgasms as soon as they are licked. I want some real sex that doesn't take over the plot.

The few examples I have of what I'm looking for are from YA , which is not exactly what I'm looking for:
"Birdie" , "looking for Yvonne", ...
I can't think of something else :(

Thanks for your help.

message 2: by Eva (new)

Eva Morian | 4 comments Hello Julia, I'm Eva and I know exactly what you're talkong about. My partner and I try to make our romances realistic. If you don't mind, you can check them out. Cherish and Simon: The First YearEither way, we wish you happy reading!

message 3: by Julia971 (new)

Julia971 | 71 comments Eva wrote: "Hello Julia, I'm Eva and I know exactly what you're talkong about. My partner and I try to make our romances realistic. If you don't mind, you can check them out. [book:Cherish and Simon: The First..."

Thanks Eva, I'll check it out !

SassafrasfromAmazon | 163 comments Hi Jula971. I would recommend some of J J Murray’s IR books. I believe I have written several reviews of his books. I think all of his books a realistic, no insta-love and the sex is hot but tastefully done. I’ll try to think of others, but I think a lot of the books were published before ereadrrs & Kindle were launched. I’ll have to think about it.

message 5: by Julia971 (new)

Julia971 | 71 comments SassafrasfromAmazon wrote: "Hi Jula971. I would recommend some of J J Murray’s IR books. I believe I have written several reviews of his books. I think all of his books a realistic, no insta-love and the sex is hot but tastef..."

Thanks a lot Sassafrasfromamazon :)

message 6: by Eva (new)

Eva Morian | 4 comments Thank you, Julia! Happy reading!!

message 7: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1379 comments Natural Beauty by Leslie DuBois - Funny, with a nice hook, a little on the chick-lit side but still a romance

Dancing on the Edge of the Roof by Sheila Williams . BW and NAM. Older protagonists, late 40s? She has grown kids. Also there is a Netflix movie of this one called Juanita starring Alfre Woodard.

Pas De Deux A Dance For Two by Lynn Turner - BW/WM. Set in the Theatre/Ballet world. Lots of great stuff about ballet.

Save the Date by Candace Randall - BW/WM - Lawyers who are BFFs. Friends to lovers. I remember they attend the wedding of a mutual friend in the South of France and the setting is romantic lots of sexual tension as they decide to move from friends to lovers.

Hidden Hearts (Lovestruck Librarians #6) by Olivia Dade - BW/WM. I remember this one being really sweet. She's a librarian.

True Romance (True Romance #1) by Lashell Collins - BW/WM -- both older, late 30s. She's a wildlife photographer, he's a rockstar who finds fame later in life. Very slow burn romance, they become friends who skype for a year and that is how they slowly fall in love. Family drama is the rom conflict. His daughter doesn't like her cuz she is the first woman he's ben serious about since his divorce from her mother.

Let It Shine by Alyssa Cole - BW/ WM. Rare romance novel that takes place during the Civil Rights movement. Hero is Jewish who feels a kinship with the movement because his grandparents escaped the Holocaust. Heroine is a shy church girl who decides to become part of the movement. They get invoved with the Freedom Rides and SNCC. Really well done and the romance is nice too.

message 8: by Julia971 (new)

Julia971 | 71 comments Tina wrote: "Natural Beauty by Leslie DuBois - Funny, with a nice hook, a little on the chick-lit side but still a romance

Dancing on the Edge of the Roof by Sheila Williams. BW and NAM. Older protagonists..."

Thanks Tina, I'll check them out , the last one seems really promising :)

message 9: by Justine (last edited Jan 13, 2020 06:37PM) (new)

Justine | 1235 comments You may like the following. They are two of the earliest books I ever read of the IR genre.

Arms of a Stranger
The Politics of Love

message 10: by Julia971 (new)

Julia971 | 71 comments Justine wrote: "You may like the following. They are two of the earliest books I ever read of the IR genre.

Arms of a Stranger
The Politics of Love"

Thank you Justine ! :)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 122 comments I hope you're ready for these (I love recommending) and that something tickles your fancy!

Well I don't know many enemies to lovers in particular as I don't track that trope in my romance but somewhat more realistic (not necessarily banging on the first meeting, less billionaire/CEO types and more everyday male characters and [some] dealing with some real-life [ie difficult and gutwrenching] issues) stories I can do as that is my preference too. Not all of these are favorite reads, and some I didn't like that much but they are all or include what I would consider much more realistic and/or romantic rather than just sexual storylines than many others. I'm going to break them down into different comments so it's not too long

message 12: by kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude (last edited Jan 14, 2020 08:00AM) (new)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 122 comments 1

Some favorite authors I could gush about all day (with a couple of favs of theirs/first in a series) as most of or all of their's I've read so far is fantastic

The Kingmaker (All the King's Men Duet, #1) by Kennedy Ryan The Rebel King (All the King's Men Duet, #2) by Kennedy Ryan Kennedy Ryan is a QUEEN and I've only just begun with her work

A Girl Like Her (Ravenswood, #1) by Talia Hibbert Wanna Bet? (Dirty British Romance, #2) by Talia Hibbert Operation Atonement by Talia Hibbert Talia Hibbert is another queen

In the Nick of Time by Tiana Laveen Forgive Me Father for I Have Loved by Tiana Laveen Tiana Laveen and yet another queen

Crash by Pepper Pace Juicy by Pepper Pace Angel Over My Shoulder by Pepper Pace Beast (Estill County Mountain Man #1) by Pepper Pace Adaptation Book 1 (Adaptation #1) by Pepper Pace Wheels of Steel Book 1 (Wheels of Steel, #1) by Pepper Pace A Seal Upon Your Heart by Pepper Pace Pepper Pace was one of my first IR favorites due to the scope and creativity of her stories that cover a number of different sub-genres of romance. Admittedly her writing isn't always that polished and not all of her stories are enough to make me forgive that fact, but she is a master storyteller and all the ones I included here are ones of hers that I love.

message 13: by kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude (last edited Jan 14, 2020 08:01AM) (new)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 122 comments 2

Home by K. Carr one of my all-time favorite standalones, a real hard hitter but beautifully done

some favorite series'
Maybe Baby by Kim Golden Maybe Tonight by Kim Golden Maybe Forever (Maybe..., #3) by Kim Golden Maybe Tomorrow by Kim Golden
Scarred (Damaged Souls, #1) by Twyla Turner Open Wounds (Damaged Souls, #2) by Twyla Turner Healed (Damaged Souls #3) by Twyla Turner
and these two controversial ones (same topic both)
The 'N' Word (From Race to Redemption, #1) by Tiana Laveen Word of Honor (From Race to Redemption #2) by Tiana Laveen
Incarcerated (Love and War #1) by Inger Iversen Inevitable Love and War (Teal and Trent #1; Love and War #2) by Inger Iversen Indelible Beneath His Ink (Teal and Trent #2; Love and War #3) by Inger Iversen Indebted 'Til Death Do Us Part (Teal and Trent #3) by Inger Iversen

message 14: by kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude (last edited Jan 14, 2020 08:02AM) (new)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 122 comments 3

series books that I have enjoyed
Cherishing the Goddess by Lucy Eden *, Everything's Better with Kimberly (Everything’s Better #2) by Lucy Eden
A Duke by Default (Reluctant Royals, #2) by Alyssa Cole Can't Escape Love (Reluctant Royals, #2.6) by Alyssa Cole A Prince on Paper (Reluctant Royals, #3) by Alyssa Cole
Beyond the Breaking Point (Beyond the Breaking Point #1) by Zena Wynn Broken (Beyond the Breaking Point, #2) by Zena Wynn

* these ones are enemies to lovers-ish that I recall

message 15: by kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude (last edited Jan 14, 2020 08:20AM) (new)

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 122 comments 4

standalones/duets or where I can only remember/have only read this one in the series
Extraction by Xyla Turner Grumpy Jake by Melissa Blue The Wedding Date (The Wedding Date, #1) by Jasmine Guillory The Boy Friend (Platonically Complicated, #1) by Mika Jolie O'Malley's Cottage by Ronald Ady Crouch Love Through Pain by Ancelli The Cost To Play (Slivers of Love) by Oliva Gaines White Whiskey Bargain by Jodie Slaughter *, Aaren by T.A. Ford Not Always by Ancelli Baby Girl Dare to Love by Celya Bowers Love On My Mind (Shades of Love, #1) by Tracey Livesay Chained to the Devil's Son by Shea Swain Only Love (Only Love, #1) by Victoria H. Smith The Boss Lady by Lolah Lace Do Overs by Ruthie Robinson Compassion by Xavier Neal Perfectly Mixed by Ancelli Scarred (Late Night Delight) by Jennifer Willows Redemption of the Heart by Moni Boyce Coming Around Again by Billy London Sunny's Second Chance by Nola Cross Sunny's Hope by Nola Cross Promise to Keep by Priscilla Poole Rainwater Before Sunrise by Sienna Mynx A Battle Raging by Sharon Cullars Activity Partner by Nitanni Chionne
Pieces of Me by Kirby Elaine this one has a unique twist

* these ones are enemies to lovers-ish that I recall

kittykat AKA Jo Tortitude | 122 comments 5

Others

Lucky by J.J. Murray Seasons of Love by J.J. Murray I kind of have a love/hate relationship with JJ Murray. Some of what I have read is great like these two, and the couple of others stink of unrealistic and golddigger (in the same books) which is not so great but someone upthread recc'd him so...

These are very good but are Christian romance the first one heavier than the second
Jane by Michelle N. Onuorah Remember Me by Michelle N. Onuorah

a couple of not quite realistic but have other plus points
Crazy Old Money by Kilby Blades Rafe A Buff Male Nanny (Loose Ends #1) by Rebekah Weatherspoon Xeni (Loose Ends #2) by Rebekah Weatherspoon Deja Vu by Sosie Frost

message 17: by Julia971 (new)

Julia971 | 71 comments kittykat wrote: (I love recommending)

I can see that ! :D

message 18: by Julia971 (new)

Julia971 | 71 comments kittykat wrote: "1

Some favorite authors I could gush about all day (with a couple of favs of theirs/first in a series) as most of or all of their's I've read so far is fantastic

[bookcover:The Kingmaker|45024651..."

I know Talia and Pepper. You are right about Pepper, I especially love that she doesn't stick to one type of romance: from sci fi romance , to vampire romance, to romance with a blind man... she has something in store for everybody.

message 19: by Carolin (new)

Carolin | 95 comments Promise to Keep Promise to Keep by Priscilla Poole Rainwater by Priscilla Poole Rainwater

it had an interesting and strong hero and heroine, awesome friendship, a long read - one of my favourite!

message 20: by Julia971 (new)

Julia971 | 71 comments Carolin wrote: "Promise to Keep Promise to Keep by Priscilla Poole Rainwater by Priscilla Poole Rainwater

it had an interesting and strong hero and heroine, awesome friendship, a long rea..."

Thanks ! :)