12 books in 12 months challenge 2020 discussion

Book Talk: General > What was your first read for this challenge?

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 46 comments I just finished my first book for this challenge - #7 - a book you asked an adult to read over and over when you were a child. For me, this was Never Tease a Weasel. Definitely as delightful a read as I remember, and the well-done word play and internal rhyming make it as much fun to read out loud as it is to simply enjoy the cute and clever message.

What was your first title read for this challenge?
Are you reading through the prompts in order, or in no particular order?

message 2: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (leenings_) | 9 comments Going for no particular order, myself! :)
Currently reading "The Elephant Thief" by Jane Kerr, for the favourite animal prompt! :)

message 3: by ladymurmur (new)

ladymurmur | 46 comments Kathleen wrote: "Going for no particular order, myself! :)
Currently reading "The Elephant Thief" by Jane Kerr, for the favourite animal prompt! :)"

No particular order here, too!

"The Elephant Thief" looks like a charming read, Kathleen. Trying to decide what counts as my "favourite animal" so I can choose for that prompt. It may end up being one I declare as my choice upon finishing a book that just feels right. :-)

message 4: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (leenings_) | 9 comments I was like "Panda? Elephant? Polar Bear?" but my bear (I've had since childhood) is an elephant, and I have a few elephant things about. So I went with elephant.

I've literally just started it, but the blurb sounded like an enjoyable read.

That sounds like I good plan Lady Murmur! :D I'm thinking of doing that for the STEM prompt, and the cosy one.

I've no real plans for the prompts at all, after Funnybones for the childhood reread prompt. It's just a free for all! :')

Enjoy the challenge! :D

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Russell | 21 comments I feel I’m going to be challenged by the category, what you had read to you as a child. My family wasn’t into reading to us but I’m sure there was something though I can’t think what.

No particular order here either. I’d read WTF? before finding this group and that’s for #12.
I’m trying now for George Eliot as an author recommended by someone over 35. She didn’t say which book so I’ve randomly picked her novel Middlemarch.

message 6: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (leenings_) | 9 comments Maybe do a story from school, if you remember that far back. . .
Or read a children's book that interests you. . .

I loved Mr. Men books. And Rainbow Fish. I also enjoyed Thomas the Tank Engine books. . .
Hope that helps! :)

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Russell | 21 comments It would probably be the story of the three little pigs 😀

message 8: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen (leenings_) | 9 comments Enjoy! :)

message 9: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (wordcauldron) | 90 comments Mod
I am working on my first one right now, which is the one about ASMR! I'll probably start on another one via audiobook tomorrow-ish--likely the cozy mystery one.

message 10: by Jillian (new)

My first read was a book from a new-to-me author and series for #3 (a cozy mystery with a theme that interests you): Deadhead and Buried. I really enjoyed it, and have now started to listen to the second book!

message 11: by Shelley (new)

Shelley (marzipan9) | 1 comments Well, I thought I had #2 finished with Mist, Metal, and Ash...but after reading the categories and clarifications....it’s supposed to be nonfiction?

Oops. Back to the drawing board. 😂😂😂

message 12: by Jillian (new)

Shelley wrote: "Well, I thought I had #2 finished with Mist, Metal, and Ash...but after reading the categories and clarifications....it’s supposed to be nonfiction?"

For this one, yes, nonfiction would be preferred! Unless the science in a fiction book is based on real-life science (not magic or mystical elements); for example, I had been considering reading The Martian for this one, which is fiction, but there is a high concentration of engineering in it as he solves problems in a scientific manner while he's stuck on Mars.