Calvinist Batman & Friends discussion

Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1)
This topic is about Red Sister
January - Red Sister > A hint of the trilogy

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Matthew Manchester (calvinistbatman) | 233 comments Mod
I just finished "the cafeteria" scene. I listened to her first pool-bath while taking a hot shower and I found the section incredibly accurate to how I currently felt under the hot water. lol

The cafeteria scene also gives us a very small hint at what's to come: Nona is a first year student/sister.

Red Sisters are beginners
Grey Sisters is intermediate
Holy Sisters are masters

Those are the names of the books in the trilogy. So get used to this school I'd imagine.

--------------------

How is everyone else doing with the read?
Updates?
Thoughts about the beginning section?

message 2: by Ethan (new)

Ethan | 12 comments I really liked the prologue - it gave us a really great look into what’s coming for Nona and her training.

I do gotta say that I’m a bit bored with this first 60 or so pages. I don’t really feel to connected to Nona, and the other characters have felt a bit flat. Also, I wasn’t a fan of the story taking the time to introduce the Caltess, and then in the next chapter drop her off in the Convent where we have to learn about that space too.

I’m not sure how far we are talking about, but I did enjoy the world-building from the glimpse of the globe and what the world once was 50k years prior and how it became - a world of tribes in the ice.

message 3: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Priest | 87 comments Mod
I agree that things seem to start slow. The language is good at painting the scene but just seems slow. I am through chapter 16 and it is picking up. Getting a little more relevant back story and development.

message 4: by Bob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bob Priest | 87 comments Mod
I’ve finished Red class portion. The last part picks up the pace well by introducing some intrigue and politics along with some action. Seeing examples of self sacrifice also. Starting to get into this more and looking forward to Grey Class.

Think I still have trouble seeing a 10yr old as the main character right now. At least I think this is Nona’s age.

Amanda | 101 comments Mod
I'm about 20% in (reading the Kindle version) and really enjoying it so far. The author did a great job of world building - it feels foreign but not unbelievable.

Bob, the age thing reminds me of Ender's Game. It's hard to remember that Ender is a young child in that book, too, but that's part of the book's world. I imagine children in such a hard world as Nona's wouldn't act like American children.

Matthew Manchester (calvinistbatman) | 233 comments Mod
Bob wrote: "Think I still have trouble seeing a 10yr old as the main character right now. At least I think this is Nona’s age."

I understand this. I'm having a hard time reading about a 9-year-old girl taking such abuse so frequently.

I think we're around the same spot, Bob. Nona is (view spoiler)