Star Wars Book Club discussion

Discussion > Introduction to Star Wars reading

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gaynor (jennifergaynor42) | 7 comments Hello Everyone! My name is Jen. I'm 48, from Canada, and l've been a life long Star Wars fan. I just recently joined Goodreads because I challenged myself to read at least 20 books this year. Obviously I want some of those books to be some Star Wars ones. I've read all the movie novelizations, but I've never ventured into anything further. That is where I'm searching for your help, assistance, and advice. I have absolutely NO IDEA where to start. I know there are so MANY books out there, I'm just looking for a little guidance to start me on my way. If anyone would be able to offer suggestions, let me know about their reading history, or anything else, I would greatly appreciate it. (Sorry, but I don't read comic books) Thank you so very much - Jen

message 2: by N.E.C.C. (last edited Jan 10, 2020 07:45AM) (new)

N.E.C.C. | 54 comments Hello and welcome! :D

It depends on what characters you like o even the era you prefer but regardless of all that, i think Lost Stars by Claudia Gray is the best one of the canon so far and it's highly entertaining and it doesn't focus on any of characters you know.

It's also one of the first books that came out in the new canon so it's a good entry point to start reading Star Wars.

message 3: by Roland (new)

Roland Sebella | 5 comments Hello there :)

I would highly recommend the Deceived and Revan books for you. Their storyline plays 3000 years before the events of New Hope so you won't meet with any familiar characters and they don't affect/manipulate the storyline of the original movies and that's why i like them so much! But that's just my taste! I know there are many-many more great Star Wars books out there i still have to read because i am a newbie as well too.
I wish you are going to have a great reading experience whatever you choose!

ps: Sorry for lame grammar my mother tongue isn't english :)

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gaynor (jennifergaynor42) | 7 comments N.E.C.C. wrote: "Hello and welcome! :D

It depends on what characters you like o even the era you prefer but regardless of all that, i think Lost Stars by Claudia Gray is the best o..."

Thank you so much for responding! I looked at the book you recommended and read a synopsis about it. It sounds quite interesting, so I've added it to my "want to" read list. Thank you for the recommendation!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gaynor (jennifergaynor42) | 7 comments Roland wrote: "Hello there :)

I would highly recommend the Deceived and Revan books for you. Their storyline plays 3000 years before the events of New Hope so you won't meet with a..."

Thank you for sending me a message. I looked at the 2 books that you suggested for me, and they sound very interesting!! It looks like they seem to be books in their own storyline - which I enjoy. I hope you're having fun and enjoying all the Star Wars reading out there - there sure is a lot of it!! I just ordered Anthony Daniel's new book, so I am looking very forward to reading that when it arrives. Thank you for all your help. Take care!!

message 6: by N.E.C.C. (new)

N.E.C.C. | 54 comments Jennifer wrote: "N.E.C.C. wrote: "Hello and welcome! :D

It depends on what characters you like o even the era you prefer but regardless of all that, i think Lost Stars by [author:Claudia Gray|11923..."

Good to know, i hope you enjoy it :D

message 7: by Lizzie (new)

Lizzie Twachtman (lizzietwachtman) | 160 comments Mod
Hey Jennifer!! Welcome to the group!! We started reading a couple years ago with the Episode I novelization as the beginning of the Disney canon timeline (at the time).

But the Old Republic books are so excellent and technically the very beginning of the timeline. Revan is so fantastic!!!

Happy Reading!!

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gaynor (jennifergaynor42) | 7 comments Lizzie wrote: "Hey Jennifer!! Welcome to the group!! We started reading a couple years ago with the Episode I novelization as the beginning of the Disney canon timeline (at the time).

But the Old Republic books ..."

Hi Lizzie! Thank you for sending me your message! I think that I'll definitely start with the Old Republic books, and after that maybe try some others. I'll try to work my way slowly into what the Group is reading. I'll get there eventually!! Thank you again for responding to my message, I really appreciate it. Take care!!

message 9: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 54 comments I love these suggestions. I’m going to put them on my list.

I’ve read Tatooine Ghost Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning . I enjoyed it. I guess this is what is called an Old Republic book. Not sure.

message 10: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gaynor (jennifergaynor42) | 7 comments Kellie wrote: "I love these suggestions. I’m going to put them on my list.

I’ve read Tatooine Ghost Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning. I enjoyed it. I guess this is what is called an Old Republic bo..."

Hi Kellie! Thank you for responding! I looked over the book you read, Tatooine Ghost, and it definitely is one I want to read. Any of the books that have the original trilogy characters in them, I'm sure will be favourites of mine. Thank you so very much for sharing!!

message 11: by Matt (new)

Matt (elivanto) | 7 comments Master and Apprentice by Claudia Gray was really incredible too.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gaynor (jennifergaynor42) | 7 comments Matt wrote: "Master and Apprentice by Claudia Gray was really incredible too."

Hi Matt! Thank you for the suggestion. I'll take a look at the book and give it a try. Thank you for responding!

message 13: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 54 comments Jennifer wrote: "Kellie wrote: "I love these suggestions. I’m going to put them on my list.

I’ve read Tatooine Ghost Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning. I enjoyed it. I guess this is what is called an ..."

You’re welcome Jennifer!

message 14: by Nick (new)

Nick | 3 comments Which characters are you most interested in? Which ones brought you to Star Wars?

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Gaynor (jennifergaynor42) | 7 comments Nick wrote: "Which characters are you most interested in? Which ones brought you to Star Wars?"
I grew up with the Original Trilogy, and that's probably my favourite timeline for Star Wars. I like all the characters in that era - Han Solo is my favourite if I have to choose. I do like the prequels, and the sequels as well. I'm not a fan of the Clone Wars - I just never was able to get into that.

message 16: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (viccro) | 1 comments Nick wrote: "Which characters are you most interested in? Which ones brought you to Star Wars?"

I started out a fan of Leia, but once I got into the books I got really into Padme, Jaina, and Mara Jade. I guess that says something about the number of strong female role models I was missing.

message 17: by Nick (new)

Nick | 3 comments So sorry for the delay in my response. Check out the courtship princess leah, a legends book. Also for Mara Jade awesomeness read the Hand of Thrawn duology - Spector of the Past and Vision of the Future. Of course the Thrawn Trilogy is a must as well.

message 18: by Lizzie (new)

Vicki wrote: "Nick wrote: "Which characters are you most interested in? Which ones brought you to Star Wars?"

I started out a fan of Leia, but once I got into the books I got really into Padme, Jaina, and Mara ..."

Oh Mara Jade!!! Let us have a moment of silence for what could have been in the sequel trilogy!! ;) She is such a great character. And the arc between all the children: Jaina, Jacen, Anakin and Ben! So so good.

message 19: by Roland (new)

Roland Sebella | 5 comments Lizzie wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Nick wrote: "Which characters are you most interested in? Which ones brought you to Star Wars?"

I started out a fan of Leia, but once I got into the books I got really into Padme, Ja..."

I am also disappointed with the sequel triology and that's the reason i have ordered the first book of the Thrawn triology (the Legends series). It was delivered a few days ago and im going to start reading it today :) I only started reading SW books a year ago and i wasn't really interested in this triology until The Rise of Skywalker incident :D After that i felt i have to know what could have happened as you said before :) Also really curious about Mara Jade

message 20: by Lizzie (new)

Roland wrote: "Lizzie wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Nick wrote: "Which characters are you most interested in? Which ones brought you to Star Wars?"

I started out a fan of Leia, but once I got into the books I got really..."

Buckle up for a deep dive into truly loving a fictional character, cause Mara Jade's story is so damn good!! and I don't mind gushing about her for a minute!! She is just so so good and I will forever mourn the disbanding of the Legends stories just for her and her alone!!!!

Especially since they didn't even try and create a replacement for her (as if anyone could) ;)

message 21: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 54 comments Nick wrote: "Which characters are you most interested in? Which ones brought you to Star Wars?"

I love all the characters. I started with the original of course and then the prequel and sequels came and love them too.

message 22: by Allyssa (new)

Allyssa Smith | 37 comments Kellie wrote: "I love these suggestions. I’m going to put them on my list.

I’ve read Tatooine Ghost Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning. I enjoyed it. I guess this is what is called an Old Republic bo..."

Tatooine Ghost is New Republic Legends book. It is great, though. Highly recomend.

message 23: by Allyssa (new)

Allyssa Smith | 37 comments Start with The Truce at Bakura. It is 12 hr after RoTJ and will help you with Legends a lot because of it being mentioned in other books. (view spoiler)

message 24: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 54 comments Akindle wrote: "Kellie wrote: "I love these suggestions. I’m going to put them on my list.

I’ve read Tatooine Ghost Tatooine Ghost by Troy Denning. I enjoyed it. I guess this is what is called an ..."

Thanks Akindke! I don’t really know the difference between legends and canon.

message 25: by Don (new)

Don Brown (donkbrown) Hey, Kellie.

While I am sure there are folks here more able than I to discuss Legends and Canon differences, let me try to make it simple.

Star Wars Canon media refers to the general body of material (books, movies, TV shows, comics, etc.) published or released after April 2014 relates to the official story of the saga.

Content before April 2014 (except the movies and The Clone Wars series) is referred to as Legends: stories and tales that are no longer part of the official Star Wars saga. Content in the Legends era can be considered to be alternate stories, like Greek or Roman myths - great stories, but not really part of the history of the saga.

Does that help? Both canon and Legends have value and their places in the Star Wars saga. Neither should be discounted.

As far as looking for a read, I would browse the club's list HERE and see what stands out to you. It is a good start and we can answer other questions once you find your personal starting place.

May the Force be with you.

message 26: by Allyssa (last edited Sep 07, 2020 07:10AM) (new)

Allyssa Smith | 37 comments Legends is from before Disney bought SW. New canon is from after Disney bought SW.
Famous Legends books(first 3 books by Timothy Zahn)
- Dark Force Rising
- Heir to the Empire
- The Last Command
- The Truce at Bakura by Kathy Tyers
-Fate of the Jedi series
- and many more
Famous New Canon books
- Light of the Jedi*
- Into the Dark*
- A Test of Courage*
*= Yet to be released. They are awaited by many for being set in High Republic era. Written by Claudia Gray,Justina Ireland and Charles Soule.
- Bloodline
- Leia: Princess of Alderaan
- Master and Apprentice
The last 3 are by Claudia Gray.

message 27: by Allyssa (new)

Allyssa Smith | 37 comments Nick wrote: "So sorry for the delay in my response. Check out the courtship princess leah, a legends book. Also for Mara Jade awesomeness read the Hand of Thrawn duology - Spector of the Past and Vision of the ..."

Hand of Thrawn has Mara Jade being awesome? I will have to read it soon! Is it as great as Thrawn trilogy?

message 28: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 54 comments Don wrote: "Hey, Kellie.

While I am sure there are folks here more able than I to discuss Legends and Canon differences, let me try to make it simple.

Star Wars Canon media refers to the general body of mate..."

Thank you for your help Don! May the Force be with you!

message 29: by Kellie (last edited Sep 06, 2020 09:39PM) (new)

Kellie | 54 comments Akindle wrote: "Legends is from before Disney bought SW. New canon is from after Disney bought SW.
Famous Legends books(first 3 books by Timothy Zahn)
- Dark Force Rising
- [book:Heir ..."

Thank you AKindle! May the Force be with you!

message 30: by Allyssa (new)

Allyssa Smith | 37 comments And with you too.