What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Project Identification: The First Scientific Field Study of UFO Phenomena
This topic is about Project Identification
SOLVED: Non-Fiction > SOLVED. Non-Fiction UFO book - local scientist interested as town undergoes a UFO "flap". [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shawn (new) - added it

Shawn | 9 comments This would have been from 1977-ish or earlier

This was a non-fiction UFO book. Specifically, I remember that it was written by a man of science (maybe a physicist, maybe just a high school science teacher) who hadn't paid much attention to the whole UFO thing until his town underwent a "flap" and so he decided to treat the reports (and the things he and others saw) as a scientific observer - he comes out the other end feeling that if the (few) observations he personally had, and the reports from others, were actually solid observations, the objects seen could not be observing the known laws of physics. If it helps, the cover of this book (hardcover), iirc, had a black background, the stylized/partial body/edge of a saucer (or cylinder) in dark blue, and bright yellow portholes - perhaps the book was dark blue, the outline lighter blue, but I definitely remember the contrast between the bright yellow portholes and the blue. The name MAY (but certainly also MAY NOT) have been something along the lines of OPERATION UFO or something. I remember two specific "sightings" he had - one was very low-level, students telling him that at a popular "park and neck" spot, they'd seen strange lights. So he hangs out there at night and, looking directly overhead, sees a number of points of light that strongly resemble stars but which furtively move around. The second sighting was when he walked out his front door near sunset and saw this large thing in the sky, on the horizon, that I think looked like a "stubby bullet" and which disappeared or entered a cloud.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
I can't tell if you are looking for the same or a different book here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Please clarify. (Only create one thread per book.)

message 3: by Shawn (new) - added it

Shawn | 9 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "I can't tell if you are looking for the same or a different book here:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Please clarify. (Only create o..."

Different, the distinction being between a scientist investigating UFOS and a compendium of paranormal "high weirdness" events. Different books.

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38282 comments Mod
Thank you.