What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Books set in late 1990s or early 2000s with pop culture references

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Tort | 4 comments This is my first post - hope it is correct! I am in search of fiction books set in the late 1990s through early 2000s that are full of pop culture references. Looking for some nostalgia-filled novels. Preferably with MC as teen/20 something female, but am really open to anything. Please nothing supernatural/time travel. Don't care when the books were written, but the time period of the books should be in the 1995-2005 general time range.

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1531 comments Bridget Jones's Diary and High Fidelity spring to mind as classic 90s fiction.

You might like Friendship Never Ends which is about a group of women friends with flashbacks to their 90s childhood.

Girls on Fire is a recent book set in the 90s with references to music of the time.

message 4: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie A. | 248 comments Oh I am so sad I did not keep a full list of the books that inspired me to write an essay on this very topic in 2008. Off the top of my head:

Reality Chick - Lauren Barnholdt (it was published in 2006, if that's close enough)

All-American Girl - Meg Cabot (or at least its sequel has plenty, so I assume this is the same way)

message 5: by Natalie (new)

Natalie Tort | 4 comments thank you all!!

Rachel, I loved Girls on Fire!

message 7: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany McCrary (tiffanymmccrary) | 3 comments Would highly recommend the Sloppy Firsts series (5 books) by Megan McCafferty.

message 10: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

message 11: by Carson (new)

Carson (explodingtardis10) | 28 comments Please Don't Kill The Freshman
The Perks of Being A Wallflower

message 12: by Florence (new)

Florence | 396 comments Rosa wrote: "The Princess Diaries"

Agree, anything by Meg Cabot!
Guitar Girl and Chartbreak both give me 90s music vibes.
Sarah Dessen Sara Manning and Kate Cann also great authors to have a look at.