Flights of Fantasy discussion

Nomination Station > February 2020 BotM Poll: Space Opera

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (last edited Jan 15, 2020 09:34AM) (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments IDK if you guys remember, but we had a small calendar SNAFU back in September 2019. Because of that, we had to put our September nominations/reading on hold. But now we’re baaa-ck! and we’re reading that Space Opera!

February 2020 Theme: Space Opera. This theme is intended for science fiction books that fit the following guidelines (includes Science Fiction, Horror and/or YA/MG):

-it must have a space ship. A space ship is needed for interplanetary travel and Space travel. If the action is taking place on land, there still needs to be access to space ports or ships. Characters cannot simply “pop-up” on a new planet.

- it must be a stimulating and exciting adventure, otherwise known as a “yarn.”

-There must be conflict: the story should be full of conflict (often solved by violent means). Conflict can be either: Man vs Alien, Man vs Man, Man vs Society, and Man vs Technology. Man vs Self and is too small a scale.

-It must be large scale: the settings, the characters, battles, etc must have big implications for the universe(s) in question.

If, for any reason, you have a book you want to nominate but it does not fit these guidelines and you are SURE it fits the Space Opera genre, please post said book along with a request for a Moderator Judgement. Mods will then make the final decision regarding eligibility. If you do not request Moderator Judgement and the book does not fit the above guidelines, that book is not eligible.

EX: Behind the Throne, The Collapsing Empire and Old Man's War

POLL IS HERE: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Nomination Requirements:
-MUST BE Space Opera (see above sub-genre requirements)
-Must be either a standalone, 1st in a series or a series THIS GROUP has already started
-CanNOT be a book that this group has already read. (unsure which books FoF has read? Check the Group Reads Index)
-Can be SF, Horror, YA/MG
-Must be available in formats that all members can access

Nominations start now and close 15-Jan-2020.

Nomination Rules:
1) No self-nomination or self-interest nominations (this includes publisher accounts as well as author accounts)
2) No inviting friends or followers or fans to the group to nominate or vote in the poll
3) Mods will validate nominations and results and will announce when validated by broadcast. Any suspicious looking noms or votes will not be counted
4) When nominating a book for a theme, you must include WHY your nomination fits the monthly theme
5) You are REQUIRED to link to the book, using words, and NOT the cover image. This is so all members, including those using the app, can actually read the nominations.

Please NOTE: If anyone is caught inviting friends to order to rig the vote, then it will result in an automatic kickban for all parties.

Current (& Sept 2019) Nominations
To Honor You Call Us by H. Paul Honsinger (nominated by Mike (the Paladin))
Odyssey One by Evan Currie (nominated by MrsJoseph)
The January Dancer by Michael Flynn (nominated by Mary)
Stitching Snow by R.C. Lewis (nominated by colleen the convivial curmudgeon)
Foundation by Isaac Asimov
The Cassini Division by Ken MacLeod
Starship: Mutiny by Mike Resnick
Gridlinked by Neal Asher

Don’t see a book you want to read above? You still have time to nominate!!! Nominations close on 15-Jan-2020!

message 2: by Becky, Modderific (last edited Jan 09, 2020 08:18AM) (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments <--- Was the SNAFU. Because I had myself a birthday!

Anyway, I'm going to nominate.... *drumroll* NOT Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks because we've already read that, obviously I didn't miss it on the list.

Dang it.

message 3: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments OK How about Foundation by Isaac Asimov?

message 4: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Well, from what I've read, Foundation is the (drumroll, please) foundation of Space Opera.

;-)

I'm here every Tues & Thurs, folks! Don't forget to try the fish!!

message 5: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments *throws tomatoes*

:P

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 10 comments Becky wrote: "<--- Was the SNAFU. Because I had myself a birthday!

Anyway, I'm going to nominate.... *drumroll* NOT Consider Phlebas by Iain M. Banks because we've already read that, obviously I..."

I was going to go for Banks, and was thinking Look to Windward, but instead will go for Iain's mate Ken MacLeod and The Cassini Division.

While it's marked as part 3 of his Fall Revolution quartet, the books don't directly follow on and it's the only one of the four that's Space Opera

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments Still routing for my nomination!!!!!

:)

message 8: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Becky wrote: "*throws tomatoes*

:P"

*ducks*

*jigs*

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments Apparently missed...???...

message 10: by Chris , cookie guilt (new)

Chris  (haughtc) | 2450 comments I'll nominate Starship: Mutiny by Mike Resnick

I just found out Resnick died today, so he was my first thought for this. The Starship looks pretty large scale (galactic war) and definitely has spaceships and conflict. Reviews seems to lean more towards adventure/yarn than science, so that fits too...

message 11: by Eva (new)

Eva Yayyy, my favorite genre!! 😊🤸‍♀️💃

I nominate Gridlinked by Neal Asher

From the description:
Cormac is a legendary Earth Central Security agent, the James Bond of a wealthy future where "runcibles" (matter transmitters controlled by AIs) allow interstellar travel in an eye blink throughout the settled worlds of the Polity. Unfortunately Cormac is nearly burnt out, "gridlinked" to the AI net so long that his humanity has begun to drain away. He has to take the cold-turkey cure and shake his addiction to having his brain on the net.

Now he must do without just as he's sent to investigate the unique runcible disaster that's wiped out the entire human colony on planet Samarkand in a thirty-megaton explosion. With the runcible out, Cormac must get there by ship, but he has incurred the wrath of a vicious psychopath called Arian Pelter, who now follows him across the galaxy with a terrifying psychotic killer android in tow. And deep beneath Samarkand's surface there are buried mysteries, fiercely guarded.

This is fast-moving, edge-of-the-seat entertainment, and a great introduction to the work of one of the most exciting new SF talents in years.

I've never read Neal Asher but have heard a lot of good things, and the description of this one sounds like a very gripping yarn in space!

message 13: by Felina (new)

Felina | 821 comments Becky wrote: "OK How about Foundation by Isaac Asimov?"

YAAS!

message 14: by colleen the convivial curmudgeon, Not a book hipster! (new)

colleen the convivial curmudgeon (blackrose13) | 2976 comments So I'm sitting here thinking, "I'm not gonna bother nominating anything, 'cause I can't think of anything", and then I read the first post and apparently I had nominated something back in September.

Huh.

message 15: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments colleen the convivial curmudgeon wrote: "So I'm sitting here thinking, "I'm not gonna bother nominating anything, 'cause I can't think of anything", and then I read the first post and apparently I had nominated something back in September..."

lol

message 16: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments Nominations are CLOSED

message 17: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

message 18: by MrsJoseph *grouchy*, Bad Girls Deadlift (new)

MrsJoseph *grouchy* (mrsjoseph) | 5312 comments As I'm sure we all know, Foundation by Isaac Asimov is the winner.

message 19: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments MrsJoseph *grouchy* wrote: "As I'm sure we all know, Foundation by Isaac Asimov is the winner."

By a landslide! Wow. I guess this means I need to read it now!

message 20: by Mike (the Paladin) (last edited Jan 22, 2020 06:27PM) (new)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments As noted, read them a long time ago. Please enjoy.

message 21: by Felina (new)

Felina | 821 comments Yay!!! I bought this one on audible. I loved it when I read it a while ago and am looking forward to it!

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments Sorry I dared to "chime in".... I still hope you enjoy the read.

message 23: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Sorry I dared to "chime in".... I still hope you enjoy the read."

You're free to "chime in" but I also wonder what the point of saying that you didn't like it was after it had been selected. If you want to discuss it, discuss it in the thread for the group read when it starts, otherwise it is just... confusing and kinda passive aggressive.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments Nope, just my sense of humor showing.

message 25: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Nope, just my sense of humor showing."

I don't think it's coming through. Tone and inflection are kind of impossible in text communication, so if you're joking, you need to make that clear. Otherwise it comes across very differently.

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments Oh it's coming across. But I still have the same sense of humor.... I wondered why you felt you needed to "chime in" on my "chiming in"?

:)

Mike (the Paladin) (thepaladin) | 1381 comments Oh good grief. Nicki you've turned my , "don't plan to participate please enjoy the book" into some kind of aggressive behavior now. I continued to answer because this seemed so silly, turning the proverbial molehill into the proverbial mountain. I apologize for finding this silly-ness funny and carrying on with it.

You win This is my last post.

But I still wish you reading enjoyment.

message 28: by Becky, Modderific (new)

Becky (beckyofthe19and9) | 2997 comments Mike (the Paladin) wrote: "Oh good grief. Nicki you've turned my , "don't plan to participate please enjoy the book" into some kind of aggressive behavior now. I continued to answer because this seemed so silly, turning the ..."

It's not just Nicki (and not just me) that gets that passive aggressive vibe from your comments, Mike, so I think your posts do not match your intentions, if indeed you intended them the way you say. I wonder though why not just say that you don't intend to read the book again (if anything needs to be said at all) instead of pointing out repeatedly that you wish us well with it. If you want to add to the discussion of the book, you are welcome, but constantly pointing out that you disliked it but encouraging us to enjoy is not adding anything to the conversation, and the "enjoy" comes across as sarcasm.

As I said before, text does not convey tone or inflection, and you are not communicating what you THINK you're communicating with your comments, and instead they are being read as snide "negging" comments.

"Nice shirt. Baby-food yellow really brings out your complexion."

"Wow. I didn't expect you to actually get promoted. Good for you!"

"You will probably like that book. It's quite simple."

message 29: by Eva (new)

Eva I don't know the background of this discussion and hope nobody will mind if I add this: I don't actually think anyone would have minded if Mike had expressed his feelings honestly, e.g. as "Oh no! I'm feeling so disappointed because I was really looking forward to this category, and this is a classic I read long ago and don't want to reread. Does anyone feel like doing a buddy read of my suggestion or one of the other newer books? I'd love that - please let me know if anyone's interested and which book you'd like to read the most."

It's the same emotion and problem expressed, but in a way that doesn't dismiss the other people in a sort of "whatever!" *eye-roll* *walk away* kind of way, and will actually *work* in making you happy with the group, because the honest confession of a feeling may elicit empathy, and you would probably have discovered that there are a couple other people who've also read it before and you could have buddy-read something else with them, leading to more fun group activity.

It's just a different communication style that has a better chance of giving you what you'd like to have while also feeling more friendly and open.