Fantasy Buddy Reads discussion

Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1)
This topic is about Fool's Assassin
Hobb - Various > Fool's Assassin [Aug 15, 2020]

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenna, I'd be free if not for Temper & Edgewalker (new) - added it

Jenna Kathleen (jennakathleen) | 4434 comments Mod
Fool's Assassin - Robin Hobb
Fool's Assassin (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #1) by Robin Hobb
August 15, 2020.

Katie K | 1874 comments I can't believe this one is coming up so soon! I'm excited and a little bit sad. I don't want to catch up...and for this lovely world to end

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments I'm so excited but also a bit sad it's coming to the end!!

Is this definitely the last trilogy, anyone in the know? I'm scared to Google because spoilers! 🙃

Anni | 5020 comments I'm sooo excited! I already read the books a while ago, but I'm looking forward to re-read it with you guys ❤️

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Yes, this is the last trilogy. I've been waiting for this to start, after skipping the whole Dragon quartet. So excited to get back to Fitz, and the Fool and the whole assassination business again. I probably need some friendly reminder on what happened in the Tawny Man trilogy though (curse this short-term memory of mine).

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Barry wrote: "Yes, this is the last trilogy. I've been waiting for this to start, after skipping the whole Dragon quartet. So excited to get back to Fitz, and the Fool and the whole assassination business again...."

I'll try my best to remind you when needed! My memory is the same though! 😅

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Starting today.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments I will start later on today! ☺️

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Chapter 3 - (view spoiler)

message 10: by Barry (last edited Aug 16, 2020 11:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments @ Siobhan Ch 3 (view spoiler)

Ch 4 (view spoiler)

Ch 5 (view spoiler)

Ch 7 (view spoiler)

Ch 9 (view spoiler)

Ch 10 (view spoiler)

message 11: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I started it, too, I'm about a quarter in. I'm going to post some spoiler thoughts later.
It's been pretty slowgoing so far, even for Hobb.

The german translation reads is weird to read. Maybe it's because I've read so much Hobb already and know her style pretty well by now.

Katie K | 1874 comments I'm going to try and start today too ^~^

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Barry wrote: "@ Siobhan Ch 3 .."

RE chapter 3 (view spoiler)

message 14: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Up to chapter 13

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Barry wrote: "@ Siobhan Ch 3 ..."

RE chapter 4 and 5 (view spoiler)

message 16: by Frank (last edited Aug 20, 2020 07:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Frank | 650 comments Bea wrote: "Up to chapter 13

I am about 3/4 thru, and yes (view spoiler)

message 17: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Up to chapter 24

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Please hide the spoilers!! 🙁🙁

message 19: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments Aw crap, I just saw my spoiler is still visible in Frank's post! 😖 I hate it when GR does that!

And I just came here to complain that my Mom kept dropping spoilers while I was reading in the garden this afternoon..

message 20: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Dash (ryandash) | 44 comments I've only read the first Farseer trilogy. Would it be an okay idea to read this now, or should I read the other Elderlings books first?

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Hi Ryan.

You should definitely read the Tawny Man Trilogy, as it’s the prequel to this series. Otherwise you wouldn’t understand what the characters went through to get to this point.

The Liveship Traders quartet, although related (a few recurring characters mentioned in the Tawny Man), but if you skip it I think it’s ok. Though, you should also read them as they’re really good.

There’s another series focused mostly on the dragons. I skipped that one, but I think a bunch of people read them. I think it’s also ok to skip the Dragonhaven quartet and still able to follow this trilogy.

Hope my answer helps.

message 22: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Dash (ryandash) | 44 comments Thanks! I'll hold off then.

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments Ch 27

Bee (view spoiler)

Lant (view spoiler)

Shun (view spoiler)

message 24: by Katie (last edited Aug 19, 2020 10:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katie K | 1874 comments Ryan wrote: "Thanks! I'll hold off then."

Yupp! Barry is correct. You there are three trilogies with Fitz. So you don't want to miss out on the Tawny man one before starting this one.

The dragon series that was mentioned is the "Rainwilds Cronicles" which isn't necessary for the Fitz plot...but it certainly helps with the wordly lore and also builds upon characters from the Liveship trilogy :D

Realm of Elderlings Reading Order
1) Farseer Trilogy*
2) Liveship Traders Trilogy
3) Tawny Man Trilogy*
4) Rain Wild Chronicles
5) Fitz and the Fool Trilogy*
6) Novellas

Frank | 650 comments Bea wrote: "Aw crap, I just saw my spoiler is still visible in Frank's post! 😖 I hate it when GR does that!

And I just came here to complain that my Mom kept dropping spoilers while I was reading in the gard..."

Oh crap how did that happen, sorry all.

Katie K | 1874 comments Goodreads is silly when you hit reply after having opening a spoiler tag. Do you think you can edit the post??

Frank | 650 comments Katie wrote: "Goodreads is silly when you hit reply after having opening a spoiler tag. Do you think you can edit the post??"

Done

Katie K | 1874 comments Thanks so much! ^~^

message 29: by Bea (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bea | 2052 comments I finished it yesterday. Overall, I ended up liking it quite a bit. A little slow, but in the end it did pick up.

(view spoiler)

message 30: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments I just started and will try to catch up :)

But "Ungelitten", wow, that's horrible :D

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Barry wrote: "@ Siobhan Ch ..."

I'm up to chapter 11 now, I'm reading another book at the same time so slow progress.

RE chapters 7 to 10 (view spoiler)

Barry (boprawira) | 1182 comments I've finished too. Don't think I need to say much on how good this book is and how masterful Hobb is in manipulating my emotion while reading her books.

@ Bea (view spoiler)

Chade (view spoiler)

Fitz (view spoiler)

Katie K | 1874 comments ...I'm probably gonna start today ^^;

message 34: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Up to Chapter 3 (view spoiler)

message 35: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Siobhan wrote: "RE chapter 4 and 5 ."

Haha, poor Siobhan, I hope you're alright!
(view spoiler)

message 36: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Katie wrote: "...I'm probably gonna start today ^^;"

Yeah! 🙌

I'm not that far into the story, and Siobhan also mentioned she's only making slow progress... On the other hand, she's up to chapter 11 already, so I don't know if we can trust her :D

message 37: by Katie (last edited Aug 22, 2020 10:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katie K | 1874 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Katie wrote: "...I'm probably gonna start today ^^;"

Yeah! 🙌

I'm not that far into the story, and Siobhan also mentioned she's only making slow progress... On the other hand, she's up to chapter ..."

hehe, such speedy readers. You and me will have to stick together Anni ^^

I just finished chapter 2 the other day. I don't know if I'll get to read much more because it is a full day of Dungeons and Dragons for me ^~^

But I love being back in this world! I kinda forgot where the last trilogy left off. Like I had forgotten (view spoiler)

Chapter 2~
(view spoiler)

message 38: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Katie wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Katie wrote: "...I'm probably gonna start today ^^;"

Yeah! 🙌

I'm not that far into the story, and Siobhan also mentioned she's only making slow progress... On the other hand, she..."

(view spoiler)

Katie K | 1874 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Katie wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "Katie wrote: "...I'm probably gonna start today ^^;"

Yeah! 🙌

I'm not that far into the story, and Siobhan also mentioned she's only making slow progress... On the o..."

Ohhh gotcha gotcha. You're probably right. I just thought it was some foreshadowing. I can still hope though <3

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Up to Chapter 3 I.."

I agree the tone is different, definitely slower and more emotional than the Rainwild books. If anything, this tone is what they were lacking. This feels like the Hobb we know and love!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Sir Anni wrote: "Siobhan wrote: "RE chapter 4 and 5 ."

Haha, poor Siobhan, I hope you're alright!
[spoilers removed]"

Haha thanks lovely <3

You're right that part was very well written, I certainly didn't know what to think either way!

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Through chapter 13 (view spoiler)

message 43: by Katie (last edited Aug 25, 2020 01:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Katie K | 1874 comments This book is so good you guys ^~^ I've been contemplating the idea now...'What will an adventurer do once their quest is over? That sort of life is such a struggle...wouldn't one want something safer?' ~~ me and my Dungeons and Dragons character thoughts as I develop characters ^^

We see that kind of thought exactly here in those first few chapters. There is just so much...contentment there. Just this ease of the day by day activities, festivals, and the absolute love for one another <3

I just finished Chapter 5 and oh my goodnesses. It was so heartfelt. My favorite quote was this~ (view spoiler)

message 44: by Anni (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments @ Katie Chapter 5 (view spoiler)

@ Barry Chapter 7 (view spoiler)

message 45: by Anni (last edited Aug 26, 2020 10:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anni | 5020 comments Chapter 10 (view spoiler)

Chapter 11 (view spoiler)

Katie K | 1874 comments Sir Anni wrote: "@ Katie Chapter 5 Great quote, I also love when ..."

Those moments were so great <3

(view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Katie wrote: "Sir Anni wrote: "@ Katie Chapter 5 Great quote, I also love when ..."

Those moments were so great <3..."

Anni and Katie (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Chapter 26 - (view spoiler)

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Bea wrote: "Up to chapter 24
."

I was thinking that last bit too, Bea.

Siobhan (poi5ongirl) | 7591 comments Chapter 27 - (view spoiler)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Fool's Assassin (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robin Hobb (other topics)