What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

You Will Live under the Sea
This topic is about You Will Live under the Sea
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Kids book about a little boy who goes on holiday in a submarine to visit family who live and work under the sea in a sort of seabase. [s]

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John Wesley | 8 comments When I was in grade 5 in Canada in the mid 1970's I read a book from our little rural school library with some pictures about a young boy who traveled in a little red submarine under the sea on holiday to visit his family who lived and worked in a sort of seabase.

45 years later I can't remember much else but I think of this book often because it became the inspiration for my life's work., OVer the last 20 years I've produced hundreds of ocean adventure and science TV documentaries for National Geographic and Discovery channels and traveled the world exploring the ocean. And it all goes back to this book.

I sure would like to find it.

John Wesley

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue Elleker | 801 comments Probably not this, but I'll throw it out anyway. It was published in 1975 https://mboten.com/review/2041575-cri...

message 3: by John (new)

John Wesley | 8 comments Thanks. It's not the book, but surprisingly in the zone, and I'm so encouraged to get any response.

I'm just at a loss for more details but I picture the book as being a much simpler and more earnest read.

jw

message 4: by Mai (new)

Mai | 1254 comments This is probably not it either because I'm not sure there's a red submarine involved... the author is Canadian-American so I'll mention him just in case:
Gordon R. Dickson. He wrote several books with the under the sea element. This page has many details about the first book in the series as well as a couple of illustrations: https://strangerthansf.com/reviews/di...

Sorry I can't add the Goodreads link!

message 5: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19092 comments Secret Under the Sea for Mai's suggestion.

message 6: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19092 comments Undersea Quest?

Attack from Atlantis?

Danny Dunn on the Ocean Floor?

How old was the boy, teenager or younger child?

message 7: by John (new)

John Wesley | 8 comments Thank you so much for this.

I'm so happy I got up the nerve to post this query. I had no idea there were so many books along these themes and my hope is surging that I will find my 'lost book'.

This is all very interesting.

jw

message 8: by John (new)

John Wesley | 8 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Undersea Quest?

Attack from Atlantis?

Danny Dunn on the Ocean Floor?

How old was the boy, teenager or younger child?"

Thank you so much for your interest in this quest and for the good question. I can say that I was in grade five, 10 years old, and in my mind the boy was the same age as me. Now, that may be imagined or remembered wrong so it's not a firm detail.

The thing I remember most was that it was the going to sea, to the undersea living space that was the adventure and the thing that made the journey special. I don't remember any sci fi or other conflict elements so maybe the book was for a younger audience.

It's that notion of leaving your normal world, by necessity, and going on an adventure, that's really been the defining and lasting allure of stories for me.

jw

message 9: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19092 comments I hope we can track it down for you!

You Will Live under the Sea?

It's a simpler story with pictures.

message 10: by John (new)

John Wesley | 8 comments Returning to this once again and I am so grateful for the ideas and interest.

I found a copy of Secret Under the Sea. Though not the book it's surprisingly along the same lines. Very nice. I am speculating there were all these books because of the cultural impact, especially on the imaginations of young people, of Jacques Cousteau and Sea Hunt at this time.

message 11: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19092 comments John, did you also rule out You Will Live under the Sea?

message 12: by John (new)

John Wesley | 8 comments No. Thank you for asking. And thank you for the suggestion.

I've been looking at pictures of the pages of the book on google tonight and it's really ringing familiar.

The book had such an impact on me, but I had it such a short time. I'm basically just remembering, remembering holding it. So things are different than I've described it to myself. But SO familiar.

I've found an inexpensive copy online at amazon.ca and ordered it (the internet is magic) and I am holding out real hope that this is it!

I'll write back here in a couple weeks when it comes in.

Very exciting!

message 13: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19092 comments Fingers crossed!

message 14: by John (new)

John Wesley | 8 comments HELLO FOLKS!

I am so grateful and thankful for all of you and this experience.

A wonderful well loved copy of YOU WILL LIVE UNDER THE SEA just arrived today on my desk and IT IS THE BOOK!

I'm so happy. Every page brought back a flood of half remembered things and ideas, planted in my brain nearly a half century ago, that still work as guiding principles and driving forces in my life.

It's astonishing. Thank you all again and thanks to #goodreads. What a gift of community and sharing.

The only sad part is the book arrived literally on the day my friend CLIVE CUSSLER died. The greatest SEA HUNTER I've ever known.

https://www.facebook.com/johnwesley.c...

A poignant reminder of all the circles of life and living.

message 15: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19092 comments Awesome! I'm so happy it was the right one.

Sorry to hear about Clive Cussler. I don't think I ever read any of his work, but he was very well known.

message 16: by John (new)

John Wesley | 8 comments Thanks. We did 5 seasons of THE SEA HUNTERS together and he helped get my company off the ground. Plus, he wrote me into his books... except in the (fictional) books I'm "Dr.", and really smart and help save the world. Not like real life. : )

It just seems appropriate that this all got sorted today of all days.

jw