2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2020 > Echo is reading 50 for 2020

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Echo (last edited Dec 31, 2020 07:06AM) (new)

Echo | 343 comments Completed!!
Aiming to read 50, with additional mini goals of:

- Non-Fiction - 16/15
- Biographies - 11/5
- Books by Female Authors - 31/20
- Books by Authors of Color - 11/15
- Free books from my Amazon list - 3/5
- Books that I've never read on my bookcase - 3/3
- Non-Audiobooks - 17/10
- Classics - 3/3

2020 Total: 51/50

message 2: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished "The Emperor's Soul" and "Hope of Elantris" by Brandon Sanderson today, now picking back up with "Murder on the Links" by Agatha Christie.

message 3: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished "Murder on the Links" by Agatha Christie, now moving on to "Between the World and Me" by Coates.

message 4: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished "Between the World and Me" by Coates. Starting in on The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds

message 5: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished "Poirot Investigates" as I had a long drive and needed an audiobook for it.

message 6: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished "All The Light We Cannot See" by Anthony Doerr

message 7: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Ended up listening to "Speak" by Laurie Halse Anderson today.

message 8: by Sunny (new)

Sunny | 1554 comments 🌈Good luck Echo!

message 9: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Thanks, Sunny!

Just finished Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, so updated my master post. Next up for audio is Five Feet Apart and I'm still working through The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds on ebook and The Elements of Murder: A History of Poison for physical book.

message 10: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished Five Feet Apart and gotta say, I was not impressed. =/

Next up on Audiobook is Bossypants by Tina Fey

message 11: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished Bossypants, looking forward to starting Children of Virtue and Vengeance next :D

message 12: by Carol (new)

Carol | 69 comments Hope you enjoy Children of Virtue, l did. 😊

message 13: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Carol wrote: "Hope you enjoy Children of Virtue, l did. 😊"

I am so excited, because I simply adored Children of Blood and Bone and I really really really hope this somehow goes even further and just expands on everything that was set up in book one.

message 14: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments OMG that ending for Children of Virtue and Vengeance! AHHHHH!!! Absolutely loved it.

Next up for Audiobooking is Every Heart a Doorway

message 15: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds which is my first Non-Audiobook of the year that I've completed, and counted towards a number of my challenges/mini goals. :D

message 16: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished Every Heart a Doorway, now have some non-audiobooks up in the queue...

Warbreaker and Those Who Wander: America's Lost Street Kids

message 17: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Ended up listening to Down Among the Sticks and Bones and really enjoyed it. Have the third one queued up for my drive this weekend.

message 18: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished Beneath the Sugar Sky and now I'll be starting Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis for the weekend instead. :D

message 19: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished Hillbilly Elegy, now I get to start on The Perks of Being a Wallflower as it's the book for March in the 2020 reading challenge.

message 20: by Echo (new)

message 21: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower and really enjoyed it. And it was an ebook to boot, with no audiobooking. :D

message 22: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finally finished up The Murder of Roger Ackroyd. Not my favorite of the Poirot's so far, I think it just kind of trudged on too long. It may also be that I need a break from the murder mysteries, though.

Up next is Becoming, which I am really looking forward to.

message 23: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Just finished off Those Who Wander: America’s Lost Street Kids which was on my TBR pile from Amazon Prime free reading, and hit a number of my mini goals for me.

Still working on Becoming, since I have it in audiobook and don't seem to have time these days for audiobooking.

message 24: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Knocked two more out for my Global Voices challenge - Broken Places & Outer Spaces: Finding Creativity in the Unexpected and Written in the Stars

message 25: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finally got to finish Warbreaker and now I was able to refresh my hold on Michelle Obama's Becoming.

message 26: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Took several rounds of loans because it's so popular, but I finally got to finish "Becoming" and it was so good. Michelle Obama has a lot of wisdom to share with the world. Looking forward to hosting the book club discussion on this one in a few weeks.

Next up is "Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine," which I am reading for my work's book club. So far, about 10% in and it's weeeeeird but it's kept my attention.

message 27: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Eleanor Oliphant was sooooo good. I really enjoyed it from start to finish.

message 28: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished another Brandon Sanderson novella, Sixth of the Dusk and I absolutely loved the setting and themes for this one. Starting in on Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell next while I still have the Arcanum Unbound on ebook loan from the library.

message 29: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished the novella Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell and started in on one of my books I have never read from my bookcase: The Lovely Bones. So far it's proving to be a fairly quick read, though that may be due to that fact that it's been very gripping thus far. I'd seen the movie and picked up this copy from a little free library. So far the book is quite different from the movie, or at least my recollection of the movie, and that's been nice since it keeps me guessing as to what will happen.

message 30: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished The Lovely Bones, which ended up becoming a bit of a slog for me. Overall, I liked it, but I didn't find it to be quite as interesting once we got to the "time passing" section. I get it, trust me, I get it (I lost my oldest sister when I was 10), but I felt it went on just a little too long. I did enjoy the lead up and ending immensely, though, so I'd still likely recommend it to others.

Next up for physical reading is A Spell for Chameleon because I needed an X for my Alphabetical challenge and a friend recommended the Xanth series. This one is a library loan so I'm on a bit of a deadline.

message 31: by Echo (last edited Aug 10, 2020 01:04PM) (new)

Echo | 343 comments I really enjoyed A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony, and there's a better than average chance that I'll look for more of his work in the future now.

Decided to check out Let's Talk About Love since it features an asexual protagonist and those are pretty rare. I'm only a little ways in and already relating. :) So doing that on audiobook.

Still slogging through The Elements of Murder: A History of Poison but it's slooooow going. So adding in How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems too since it was available from the library.

message 32: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished Let's Talk About Love and really really enjoyed it. It was great to see ace representation. :)

Starting in on Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love for audiobooking while I do my paint by numbers.

message 33: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished How To: Absurd Scientific Advice for Common Real-World Problems which was a lot of fun, AND managed to miraculously cover one of the A-Z challenge reqs for me, so bonus!

message 34: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished Over the Top: A Raw Journey to Self-Love which I enjoyed quite a bit. Not sure what my next audiobook will be just yet.

message 35: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished The Handmaid's Tale which was quite good in my opinion. I'm undecided on if I'll read the sequel or not though.

Starting in on The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks for a book club next, and likely going to listen to Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas in America since it's free on Spotify.

message 36: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finally finished the slog that was The Elements of Murder: A History of Poison. Hoping to finish up The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks asap, and then starting in on a Holly Black novel for something fun.

message 37: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and wow - this was an awesome read that blended the human stories behind the science in with a lot of legal and scientific points. I really enjoyed this one, and look forward to discussing it with my work book club next week.

Next up will be The Cruel Prince and probably The Count of Monte Cristo.

message 38: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Book 38 done! Loved The Cruel Prince, but then again I always love Holly Black's stuff to be honest.

Still working on The Count of Monte Cristo and also started in on Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes as I've been working on getting my personal finances in order.

message 39: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished Why Smart People Make Big Money Mistakes - And How to Correct Them: Lessons from the New Science of Behavioral Economics which was pretty insightful.

Reading Wool for work book club next week and still working on Count of Monte Cristo.

message 40: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Picked up The Silence Between Us for a trip on audiobook and really enjoyed it. I actually wished it was longer. I really was enjoying the setting, the writing, and the characters. I appreciated that the ASL was translated not into perfect English, but as one would write out ASL.

message 41: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Ended up picking up Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things after it was recommended to me and I devoured it because it was so good.

message 42: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Quicky read today of All Systems Red, which was good, but not good enough to hook me into the whole series.

message 43: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished If I Was Your Girl this weekend and really enjoyed it. I especially appreciated the author's notes at the end to her cisgender and transgender readers.

message 44: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir and still working through Wool Omnibus and The Count of Monte Cristo. Not going to meet all of my goals for the year, but I'm pleased with progress thus far!

message 45: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished The Count of Monte Cristo and it was definitely a favorite for this year for me.

Still working through Wool.

message 46: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Finished Wool Omnibus, which was good, but I don't know if I'll read more of the series or not. We'll see. Started in on For One More Day in order to knock out my last physical TBR goal from the bookcase.

message 47: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Decided to listen to A Christmas Carol while I packed, so that brings me to 3 classics for the year! Another goal down. If I finish the last two that I'm reading, I'll still miss my goal for Authors of Color and Amazon Free reads, but not too shabby of a showing.

message 48: by Echo (new)

Echo | 343 comments Hit 50 by finishing both For One More Day and Twelve Years a Slave

Really pleased with how I did for my goals for 2020, and I'm on track to finish my last book in process, so should hit a total of 51 by the end of this. :)

Next is setting up my goals for 2021