RMFAO (Reading My Frigging A** Off) discussion

Reading-Challenges > RMFAO 2020 Audiobook Challenge

Comments Showing 1-50 of 227 (227 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Heena (last edited Dec 14, 2019 01:27AM) (new)

Heena Rathore P. (heenarathore) | 2094 comments Mod
With the evolution of technology, the book industry has also progressed by leaps and bounds. Where there were only physical books available at one time, there came ebooks and took the world by storm. As we progressed ahead in time, a new format introduced itself in which readers could enjoy stories in audio format. Audiobooks instantly won everyone's heart as not only were they easy to carry (like ebooks) but also one could listen to them while doing something else that was mundane, like driving or cycling or washing clothes or cooking, or anything really because now there is no need to hold the book physically in your hands to read.

Today, many readers prefer reading audiobooks over other formats, but there are few who either don't like audiobooks or simply haven't got the chance to explore them enough. No matter which category you belong to, this challenge is for you!

All you have to do is pick a Level, and try and read at least that many audiobooks in the entire year. Simple. No rules at all.

Levels:
Level 1: Casual Reader: 1-10 books (easy)
Level 2: Frequent Reader: 10-25 books (moderate)
Level 3: Bookworm: 25-40 (mildly strenuous)
Level 4: Bibliophile: 40-60 (strenuous)
Level 5: Bookiopath: 60 books or more (challenging)

description
You can download this image here: https://thereadingbud.files.wordpress...

Feel free to use this discussion board for recommending books, discussing the ones you're reading or really love and posting links to the books or your reviews.

Other challenges that you can participate in:
RMFAO 2020 Genre Challenge
RMFAO 2020 Classics Catchup
RMFAO 2020 Series Challenge

If you're as crazy about reading and books as we are then go wild combining all or any challenges to spice up your reading lists!

You can also read blog posts relating to this challenge, other challenges or the group itself here: https://thereadingbud.com/rmfao/

Happy listening!

message 2: by Lorraine (last edited Dec 17, 2019 03:17AM) (new)

Lorraine Southern | 64 comments I’m in again, and I’m going for level 2 but may get to level 3 😁

message 3: by Fran (new)

Fran | 367 comments Yippee!! Officially I'll go for Level 5 for this challenge, I've named my personal challenge "Insane", I'm hoping to get 100 listened to next year!!!

message 4: by Dagny (new)

Dagny (madamevauquer) | 3009 comments Mod
Fran wrote: "Yippee!! Officially I'll go for Level 5 for this challenge, I've named my personal challenge "Insane", I'm hoping to get 100 listened to next year!!!"

Good for you, Fran! Such a nice round number. I'll probably end this year just short of 90. It's wonderful to contemplate 100, but realistically, I think I'm slowing down. I've caught up on several series and older books so there's not as many I'm interested in now that are available.

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl | 1754 comments Mod
I never was very good at listening to audiobooks. (My mind tends to wander.) However, this year I will listen to at least one audiobook. So many of you like them, so I will give it a try.

message 6: by Fran (new)

Fran | 367 comments Cheryl I find it relaxing to listen while I'm making dinner, or tidying up. Hope you come to love audio books as much as I do.

message 7: by Lorraine (last edited Jan 01, 2020 02:03AM) (new)

Lorraine Southern | 64 comments Level 2: Frequent Reader: 10-25 books (moderate)

#1 Dear Ijeawele, or a Feminist Manifesto in Fifteen Suggestions by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie #2 We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie #3 West Cork by Sam Bungey #4 The Whispers (The Hollows - Short Story, #1) by Lisa Unger

message 8: by Fran (new)

Fran | 367 comments The first audio book is finished for the new year.
1.) The Diviners - Libba Bray 4/5

message 9: by Dagny (new)

message 10: by Heena (new)

Fran wrote: "Yippee!! Officially I'll go for Level 5 for this challenge, I've named my personal challenge "Insane", I'm hoping to get 100 listened to next year!!!"

OMG!! That is insane, Fran! You're a legend - RMFAO's Audiobook Legend :)
Please share some pointers for those of us who want to listen to more audiobooks. Anything really would help :)

message 11: by Heena (new)

I will try to aim for Level-4! Difficult for me so it'd be definitely challenging.

Dagny, I'll be relying on you for LibriVox suggestions!!

message 12: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "I will try to aim for Level-4! Difficult for me so it'd be definitely challenging.

Dagny, I'll be relying on you for LibriVox suggestions!!"

I'll get on that, Heena! I know there are quite a few that will also work for this month's genre challenge of Science Fiction.

message 13: by Dagny (new)

#2 Beating About the Bush

Sadly I heard a few days ago that Beaton (Marion Chesney) died December 30. She was in her 80s.

message 14: by Dagny (new)

Heena wrote: "Dagny, I'll be relying on you for LibriVox suggestions!!"

I haven't had the time to search for any specific recommendations, but there are quite a few free audiobooks at LibriVox which also count for this month's Genre Challenge which is Science Fiction. Also with possibly a very few exceptions, they will also all count as Classics since they're old enough to be in the Public Domain - a triple play! You can browse at LibriVox, SF is under the category Fantastic Fiction - Science Fiction or this link should work:
https://librivox.org/search?primary_k...

Over 500 books are listed, although a quick browse shows that most might be short stories. If you're not up to wading through the pages of listings, you can search by author, especially if you have a favorite or have been wanting to try a particular author. Two of the more famous ones would be H. G. Wells and Jules Verne. There are also some 'newer' authors like Andre Norton, Keith Laumer, Murray Leinster, Fritz Leiber and even some Ray Bradbury although his are probably only short stories. There are plenty of short story collections shown too if that is of interest to you.

message 15: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments I am currently listening to Way Station by Clifford Simak. So far it is pretty good. It covers three categories, audio, classic, and science fiction.

message 16: by Heena (new)

Dagny wrote: "I haven't had the time to search for any specific recommendations, but there are quite a few free audiobooks at LibriVox which also count for this month's Genre Challenge which is Science Fiction. Also with possibly a very few exceptions, they will also all count as Classics since they're old enough to be in the Public Domain - a triple play! You can browse at LibriVox, SF is under the category Fantastic Fiction - Science Fiction or this link should work:
https://librivox.org/search?primary_k...

Over 500 books are listed, although a quick browse shows that most might be short stories. If you're not up to wading through the pages of listings, you can search by author, especially if you have a favorite or have been wanting to try a particular author. Two of the more famous ones would be H. G. Wells and Jules Verne. There are also some 'newer' authors like Andre Norton, Keith Laumer, Murray Leinster, Fritz Leiber and even some Ray Bradbury although his are probably only short stories. There are plenty of short story collections shown too if that is of interest to you. "

Wow, thanks a lot, Dagny! I'll go through the list and see if something catches my eyes. I was quite interested in Ray Bradbury's short stories, though I just got an ebook The Martian, so let's see how that goes first. I think I might explore some of the newer authors you listed. Thanks a bunch again :)

message 17: by Heena (new)

#1 How I Write: Secrets of a Bestselling Author by Janet Evanovich - 3/5

An okayish book on writing. I did find some interesting insights but most of it was repetition, hence 3 stars. Though good enough for new writers.

message 18: by Dagny (new)

Marjorie wrote: "I am currently listening to Way Station by Clifford Simak. So far it is pretty good. It covers three categories, audio, classic, and science fiction."

Love it when they do that three for one.

message 19: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Southern | 64 comments #5 The Burning Girl (The Hollows - Short Story, #2) by Lisa Unger #6 The Three Sisters (The Hollows - Short Story, #3) by Lisa Unger #7 Bad Debts (Jack Irish, #1) by Peter Temple

message 20: by Dagny (new)

#3 The Search (Secrets of Crittenden County #2) by Shelley Shepard Gray

message 21: by Marjorie (new)

Marjorie (marjorielest) | 115 comments 1) Way Station by Clifford Simek

message 22: by Dagny (new)

#4 Found (Secrets of Crittenden County #3) by Shelley Shepard Gray

message 23: by Heena (last edited Jan 22, 2020 05:39AM) (new)

#2 New Moon by Stephenie Meyer - 3/5

Re-read this after more than a decade! I'm planning to complete this series as I left this series after this part when I first read it in 2008. Enjoyed every bit of it. Loved Jacob's character development minus some cheesy descriptions.

message 24: by Fran (new)

Fran | 367 comments Off to a good start for 2020:
1.) The Diviners - Libba Bray
2.) The Cruel Prince - Holly Black
3.) Dr Who: Dark Horizons - Jenny T. Colgan
4.) Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
5.) Cress - Marissa Meyer
6.) Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
7.) Pirate Latitudes - Michael Crichton

message 25: by Dagny (new)

Fran wrote: "Off to a good start for 2020:"

You are, Fran! Not familiar with that Crichton title. Have to check it out.

message 26: by Lorraine (last edited Feb 09, 2020 02:53AM) (new)

Lorraine Southern | 64 comments #8 The Killing Doll by Ruth Rendell #9 The Inn by James Patterson #10 Cilka's Journey by Heather Morris

message 27: by Deanie (last edited Jan 27, 2020 03:36PM) (new)

Deanie Nelder | 4 comments I'm going to aim for Level 3. I listen to audiobooks on my commute (40 minutes each way), so that should be doable.

1. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie
2. The Sinner by Tess Gerritsen
3, A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton
4. Vanish by Tess Gerritsen
5. In the Dog House by V.M. Burns
6. Ice Cold by Tess Gerritsen
7. Witch Is When It All Began by Adele Abbott

message 28: by Dagny (last edited Jan 29, 2020 12:02PM) (new)

Deanie wrote: "I'm going to aim for Level 3. I listen to audiobooks on my commute (40 minutes each way), so that should be doable."

You'll make it easily, Deanie. I find most of them just fly by. I'm retired now, but it was a commute of over an hour each way that started me on audio books.

message 29: by Dagny (new)

#5 Annihilation

message 30: by Heena (new)

#3 The Institute by Stephen King - 5/5

A fantastic read! Would recommend to everyone.
My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 31: by Dagny (new)

message 32: by Heena (new)

#4 Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer - 2/5

A horrible read. Bella was simply intolerable in this book.
My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 33: by Dagny (new)

#7 7th Heaven

message 34: by Dagny (new)

#8 Never Say Die

message 35: by Heena (new)

#5 Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer - 1/5

#6 The Sleeper and the Spindle by Neil Gaiman - 2/5

#7 Wilder Girls by Rory Power - 2/5

message 36: by Heena (new)

#8 Elevation by Stephen King - 3/5
An okay-ish read. My review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 37: by Fran (new)

Fran | 367 comments Long time since my last update, sorry everyone.

8.) The Other Einstein - Marie Benedict
9.) Blood Rose Rebellion - Rosalyn Eves
10.) Ready Player One - Ernest Cline
11.) The Wailing Wind - Tony Hillerman
12.) Long Road to Mercy - David Baldacci
13.) All the Pretty Horses - Cormac McCarthy

message 38: by Fran (new)

Fran | 367 comments 14.) The Case of the Deadly Desperados - Caroline Lawrence

message 39: by Lorraine (last edited Feb 27, 2020 01:29AM) (new)

Lorraine Southern | 64 comments #11 The Last Temptation (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #3) by Val McDermid

message 40: by Dagny (new)

#9 Inherit the Bones (Detective Gemma Monroe #1) by Emily Littlejohn

message 41: by Dagny (new)

#10 Crimson Lake

message 42: by Dagny (new)

message 43: by Dagny (new)

message 44: by Fran (new)

Fran | 367 comments 15.) Robert B. Parker's Buckskin - Robert Knott
16.) Gunslinger Girl - Lyndsay Ely
17.) The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories - Ernest Hemingway