SA Book & Challenge Lovers discussion

Retired Challenges > Dirigible/Airship Theme Challenge

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carolien (last edited Feb 06, 2015 10:30AM) (new)

Carolien (carolien_s) | 2256 comments Mod
Dirigible/Airship Theme challenge

Here is a nice article that explains the difference between the various terms. http://www.airships.net/dirigible

On the basis of the article, I'll use the term airship for the tasks. Most people will cite Charles Lindbergh (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_...) as the first person to cross the Atlantic by air. However, he was the first person to do it by airplane. Up to one hundred people had already done it by airship by the time he made his epic flight.

The rules:
Books must be longer than 150 pages.
Paper, e-books and audio books may be used.
Books read between 15 November 2014 and 31 January 2015 may be used.

The tasks:

1 Read a book with an airship on the cover.

2 Read a book that involves a substantial journey on an airship so that most of the book takes place on the airship.

3 Read a steampunk novel.

4 Read a book where an airship is one mode of transportation. There should be at least two more modes of transportation (excluding walking) used in the book. (If you need a reminder of modes of transportation you may enjoy this favourite video of my kids https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npdJM...).

5 Read a book that uses a mode of air travel that does not involve a combustion engine (so planes and helicopters are excluded).

Varla Fiona: 5/5
Lu: 1/5
Jax: 2/5

message 2: by Varla Fiona (new)

Varla Fiona (dory_42) | 1332 comments Mod
Do we have specific tasks related to this challenge or is it just read 5 books with that theme?

message 3: by Carolien (new)

Tasks will go up tonight some time. Between a work crisis and an exam this morning, this week has been a disaster.

message 4: by Varla Fiona (new)

No worries, I was just wondering! Hope exam went well and crisis is sorted.

message 5: by Carolien (new)

Varla Fiona wrote: "No worries, I was just wondering! Hope exam went well and crisis is sorted."

Crisis is ongoing and involved me leaving the office at 1am on Thursday morning. As a result, exam was dodgy. As long as they do not expect me to repeat word for word the various sections of legislation and can live with my version thereof, I should be OK.

message 6: by Janice (last edited Jan 17, 2015 12:37PM) (new)

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
Progress: 5/5

✔1 Read a book with an airship on the cover.
Flights and Chimes and Mysterious Times by Emma Trevayne Flights and Chimes and Mysterious Times by Emma Trevayne

✔2 Read a book that involves a substantial journey on an airship so that most of the book takes place on the airship.
Chasing the Star Garden (The Airship Racing Chronicles, #1) by Melanie Karsak Chasing the Star Garden by Melanie Karsak

✔3 Read a steampunk novel.
The Steam Mole (Cuttlefish, #2) by Dave Freer The Steam Mole by Dave Freer

✔4 Read a book where an airship is one mode of transportation. There should be at least two more modes of transportation (excluding walking) used in the book.
Cuttlefish (Cuttlefish, #1) by Dave Freer Cuttlefish by Dave Freer (submarine, barge, train, airship, boat and canoe)

✔5 Read a book that uses a mode of air travel that does not involve a combustion engine (so planes and helicopters are excluded).
Chasing the Green Fairy (The Airship Racing Chronicles, #2) by Melanie Karsak Chasing the Green Fairy by Melanie Karsak

message 7: by Varla Fiona (last edited Jan 27, 2015 10:46AM) (new)

5/5

✔1 Read a book with an airship on the cover. Changeless

DONE 2 Read a book that involves a substantial journey on an airship so that most of the book takes place on the airship. Etiquette & Espionage

✔3 Read a steampunk novel. Soulless

✔4 Read a book where an airship is one mode of transportation. There should be at least two more modes of transportation (excluding walking) used in the book. Waistcoats & Weaponry

✔5 Read a book that uses a mode of air travel that does not involve a combustion engine (so planes and helicopters are excluded). Blameless

message 8: by Lu (last edited Nov 16, 2014 11:30AM) (new)

Lu | 12655 comments Mod
Progress: 1/5

1 Read a book with an airship on the cover.

2 Read a book that involves a substantial journey on an airship so that most of the book takes place on the airship.

3 Read a steampunk novel.

4 Read a book where an airship is one mode of transportation. There should be at least two more modes of transportation (excluding walking) used in the book.

5 Read a book that uses a mode of air travel that does not involve a combustion engine (so planes and helicopters are excluded).

message 9: by Janice (new)

Janice | 1820 comments Mod
Done!

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Parker | 7 comments Infallible

does this count as number 4? the dirigible crash landed before the book started.

message 11: by Carolien (new)

Alex wrote: "Infallible

does this count as number 4? the dirigible crash landed before the book started."

Yes, you can use it.

message 12: by Carolien (new)

Janice wrote: "Done!"

Well done!

message 13: by Varla Fiona (new)

Finished thanks to Gail Carriger and a reread of a series or two!

message 14: by Carolien (last edited Jan 27, 2015 10:59AM) (new)

Varla Fiona wrote: "Finished thanks to Gail Carriger and a reread of a series or two!"

Well done! I'll post the new challenges by Thursday.

If anybody wants to suggest a task for Assassins, send me a message.

message 15: by Jax (new)

Jax | 899 comments Mod
I completely forgot to update this!
Though I only managed 2/5

✔1 Read a book with an airship on the cover. The Affinity Bridge by George Mann

✔3 Read a steampunk novel. A Study in Silks (The Baskerville Affair, #1) by Emma Jane Holloway

4 Read a book where an airship is one mode of transportation. There should be at least two more modes of transportation (excluding walking) used in the book.